Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Parking on yellows outside a school

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3456
    edited January 2020
    I really can't understand how this is still ongoing.

Highway Code Rule 238
     You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) – see ‘Traffic signs’ and ‘Road markings’. Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs. You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings (see ‘Road markings’) when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.

It doesn't matter which vehicle it is, or what the driver feels, it's against the law. There can be no discussion, you either obey the law or break it & bear any subsequent consequences. 

Same applies to stationary engine running.
     "Stopping of engine when vehicle stationary
    12.—(1) An authorised person who has reasonable cause to believe that the driver of a vehicle that is stationary on a road is committing a stationary idling offence may, upon production of evidence of his authorisation, require him to stop the running of the engine of that vehicle.
     (2) A person who fails to comply with a requirement under paragraph (1) shall be guilty of an offence and be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale."

It might all be tedious, trivial, annoying stuff, but it's still the Law.
    If you read the stationary vehicle bit you will see exemption , ‘unnecessarily’ is used, so , when it is ''Necessary'' is pretty much debatable and down to the person issuing the PCN, for instance, extreme temperatures, air con or heating needs to be run, there are several other exceptions and I am sure the issuer of the PCN may well waiver it if the circumstances oblige them to, which by the way isnt the job of the police. While I agree, switching off your engine is a good idea, its not as black and white as you think. So , when you walk past a vehicle with its engine running , before you go screaming ''Its the law'' it may well be running for a reason other than the owner cant be arsed to switch it off.

And if the owner genuinely cant be arsed to switch it off, flip the bird at them!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    But , Clint, what if, now bear with me, what if, you have two wheels on the path? Then, effectively, you arnt technically ''on'' the yellow lines. Just a thought.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    robgilmo said:

Highway Code Rule 238
     You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) – see ‘Traffic signs’ and ‘Road markings’. Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs. You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings (see ‘Road markings’) when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.

It doesn't matter which vehicle it is, or what the driver feels, it's against the law. There can be no discussion, you either obey the law or break it & bear any subsequent consequences. 

12.—(1) An authorised person who has reasonable cause to believe that the driver of a vehicle that is stationary on a road is committing a stationary idling offence may, upon production of evidence of his authorisation, require him to stop the running of the engine of that vehicle.
     (2) A person who fails to comply with a requirement under paragraph (1) shall be guilty of an offence and be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale."

If you read the stationary vehicle bit you will see exemption , ‘unnecessarily’ is used, so , when it is ''Necessary'' is pretty much debatable and down to the person issuing the PCN, for instance, extreme temperatures, air con or heating needs to be run, there are several other exceptions and I am sure the issuer of the PCN may well waiver it if the circumstances oblige them to, which by the way isnt the job of the police. While I agree, switching off your engine is a good idea, its not as black and white as you think. So , when you walk past a vehicle with its engine running , before you go screaming ''Its the law'' it may well be running for a reason other than the owner cant be arsed to switch it off.

And if the owner genuinely cant be arsed to switch it off, flip the bird at them!
    Not sure why you might think I'd ever be in the situation, much less be likely to be "screaming ''Its the law''" ??

I apply the Mark Twain attributed quote, " Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level & beat you with experience"  
    ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    Fretwired said:
    But , Clint, what if, now bear with me, what if, you have two wheels on the path? Then, effectively, you arnt technically ''on'' the yellow lines. Just a thought.
    Double yellows still apply. Even parking within an area of pavement that is bounded by double yellows, can get you a ticket

Also Highway code Rule 242 states  "You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road."

Given that you have transgressed the double yellow ruling, you are arguably compounding your offences 
    ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    robgilmo said:

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:

Highway Code Rule 238

Not sure why you might think I'd ever be in the situation, much less be likely to be "screaming ''Its the law''" ??

I apply the Mark Twain attributed quote, " Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level & beat you with experience"  
    ;)

I simply thought the way you capitalise MUST NOT in bold , then , post ''the law'' on an internet forum, without fully understanding ''the law'' that you may be inclined to do so, my apologies.
    Fretwired said:
    robgilmo said:

I dunno Clint, some might say the S+W 500 is a bit more than that ancient Remington you have there.

Might be able to take down a BMW X5 with one of those.

robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:

Highway Code Rule 238

I apply the Mark Twain attributed quote, " Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level & beat you with experience"   ;)

I simply thought the way you capitalise MUST NOT in bold , then , post ''the law'' on an internet forum, without fully understanding ''the law'' that you may be inclined to do so, my apologies.
     Yes, I see how it could look a bit 'shouty'.

The quotes were actually directly taken from the Government website, so the capitals were their's not mine  :-D
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:

Highway Code Rule 238

I apply the Mark Twain attributed quote, " Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level & beat you with experience"   ;)

The quotes were actually directly taken from the Government website, so the capitals were their's not mine  :-D

Again , my apologies, I had no idea you copied and pasted that.:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nah, we're all good I hope :+1:    ;)
    Nah, we're all good I hope :+1:    ;)
    Never anything else man, always good. :) 

Unless you shoot 44 magnums into Range Rovers?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Local headline today - kid knocked down outside school yesterday afternoon - thankfully not fatal/life-chaning 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Had a hired X5 for a couple of weeks last year courtesy of an accident management company .
    It was a superb vehicle .
    "That's all I gotta say 'bout that."
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    edited January 2020
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:

Highway Code Rule 238

So you are saying you don't know the Highway Code!  :)
    crunchman said:
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:

Highway Code Rule 238

So you are saying you don't know the Highway Code!  :)
    Do you?
    Without looking it up, when you come to a cross roads, you want to go straight over, the car opposite is turning right, who goes first?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    robgilmo said:

Without looking it up, when you come to a cross roads, you want to go straight over, the car opposite is turning right, who goes first?
    Whoever got there half a second earlier/has the bigger car.

Technically, you have right of way if you're going straight on. But since you both have to stop anyway, I think it's better to let them go first if they can see best in each direction on the main road, or if the road they're turning out of is narrow enough to make it easier if they're not in it, etc...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 694
    edited January 2020
    robgilmo said:
    The whole 4x4 thing. Nothing against 4x4s just the drivers. Many years ago my son went to a private nursery so catchment area was not something that applied. So we drove in small VW Beatle. Being a private school the 4x4 arms race was very prevalent. The number of time we where backed into and hit without them even caring (or noticing has they used to say despite having reversing sensors and even video) was beyond pale. I never accepted them offering to pay for the damage I always went through insurance. Eventually the whole street outside the school became a red route. 
    I drive one ,

I for one did not see this stunning plot twist coming. It's like watching Fight Club for the first time all over again.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:

Whoever got there half a second earlier/has the bigger car.

Technically, you have right of way if you're going straight on. But since you both have to stop anyway, I think it's better to let them go first if they can see best in each direction on the main road, or if the road they're turning out of is narrow enough to make it easier if they're not in it, etc...
    Actually, the car turning right goes first, you have to give way because the car is crossing your path, I was surprised to hear that, I had a cross roads on my way to work that I went straight over, always busy and usually people hesitating because no one was really sure who should go first, I worked with a lad who had just become an instructor so I asked him about it and thats what he told me.

Edit - just to add, its a marked cross roads and both cars are stopped at the give way.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    robgilmo said:

Actually, the car turning right goes first, you have to give way because the car is crossing your path, I was surprised to hear that, I had a cross roads on my way to work that I went straight over, always busy and usually people hesitating because no one was really sure who should go first, I worked with a lad who had just become an instructor so I asked him about it and thats what he told me.

Edit - just to add, its a marked cross roads and both cars are stopped at the give way.
    No...

https://www.learnerdriving.com/ld-system/driving-lessons/crossroads.htm

"The general rule for priorities when emerging from crossroads is that right turning traffic should give way to oncoming traffic. The vehicle with the priority in the following examples is the same as if the two minor side roads were one major road, however do not assume that the other driver will comply."

But the important thing is to pay attention to the other driver and *not* assume you have right of way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein