Nice guitars ruined by one feature...

What's Hot

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    By 'eck you're a picky lot, but since when has an Epiphone been considered a 'nice guitar'?

Why just the other day someone claimed on here that my Epiphone wasn't fit to be firewood. I must admit the anti-ballistic hard coating does let the Epis down on that score,.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    zepp76 said:
    Any Les Paul   with a scratch plate on.
    FTFY

Every PRS, except the Silver Sky - because the pickup switch is in the least convenient place possible, actually making it impossible to play some of my band's stuff.
    You mean behind the bridge? I found that the best possible place - you can easily hit it with the side of your hand between beats in either direction, but never by accident.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    mbe said:
    By 'eck you're a picky lot, but since when has an Epiphone been considered a 'nice guitar'?

Why just the other day someone claimed on here that my Epiphone wasn't fit to be firewood. I must admit the anti-ballistic hard coating does let the Epis down on that score,.
    I have a Sorrento. I'd put it up against any Gibson. Its a bloody nice guitar.

However, that doesn't have the 'controversial' headstock.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:
    FTFY

Every PRS, except the Silver Sky - because the pickup switch is in the least convenient place possible, actually making it impossible to play some of my band's stuff.
    You mean behind the bridge? I found that the best possible place - you can easily hit it with the side of your hand between beats in either direction, but never by accident.
    Or Singlecut types where the switch is on the top half of the guitar? 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    DrBob said:
    Never liked the look of the jack socket on a Strat.
    Wow, really? I've always thought it absolutely critical to the swoopy 50's design of them.
    No man, hate it, wish they’d left it on the edge like a Tele 
  • All Fender guitars with modern C necks  :s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The neck/nut width on Pacificas- the 611v is brilliant on paper, but I just can't get on with the neck.

• ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:
    FTFY

The switch on my Ibanez Artcore was pretty much UNDER the trem arm & so you could choose between the ability to use the trem OR change pickups.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    DrBob said:
    DrBob said:
    Wow, really? I've always thought it absolutely critical to the swoopy 50's design of them.

Easier and cheaper for them to manufacture with it on the scratchplate.  They don't have to drill a separate hole, fit the jack socket, and solder it.  They can just drop in a loaded scratchplate.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    crunchman said:
    DrBob said:
    DrBob said:

Easier and cheaper for them to manufacture with it on the scratchplate.  They don't have to drill a separate hole, fit the jack socket, and solder it.  They can just drop in a loaded scratchplate.
    ...which they did in the early 80s and everybody hated it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    mbe said:

I have an Epi LP and it is a nice guitar to play.  It is fashionable to criticise the headstock shape, actually it is almost required to be taken seriously on websites, but it never bothers me.  I can't even see it when playing the guitar.  Got rid of the scrascratchplate years ago and  upgraded components but the woody bits are original and decent quality.  If there is any substance to the theory that wood affects the sound.......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I never found Epiphone headstocks to be ugly? Maybe the one on the Sheraton is way too blingy, but that's it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Location of the mud switch on Gretsches.

On my Les Paul, I can just flick my hand up to change pickups easily without having to look.  On my Gretsch, I have to be really careful not to hit the mud switch.
  • Guitars which have book-matching tops, but they aren't book-matched.
    Guitars which have a 2 or 3 piece body which are not centered.

Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Have a wiz. I really wish it was placed in a similar place to a Strat. I took the trem arm off as I had to reach over it to flick the switch
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The cutaways an a Gibson ES339 are way too tight to get my hand in, and my hands are not in any way big
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4196
    PRS Silver Sky is ruined for me by the birds. If they had dots, I'd likely have one by now.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    normula1 said:
    The cutaways an a Gibson ES339 are way too tight to get my hand in, and my hands are not in any way big
    I'm very fond of my CS-336 but you're right, the cutaways are very tight.  I guess they decided the body proportions would look weird if they widened the cutaways.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    normula1 said:
    Have a wiz. I really wish it was placed in a similar place to a Strat. I took the trem arm off as I had to reach over it to flick the switch
    Ah, you mean the new ones where they've moved the switch down to the bottom, where the tone control used to be? I don't like those either. I'm not massively keen on the lever switch on a PRS anyway, much prefer the toggle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• carloscarlos Frets: 3449
    Bigsbies as already mentioned.