Nice guitars ruined by one feature...

What's Hot

Comments

• Fender guitars with a horrible black plastic plug in the truss rod hole. Looks SO cheap and nasty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    normula1 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    normula1 said:
    The cutaways an a Gibson ES339 are way too tight to get my hand in, and my hands are not in any way big
    I'm very fond of my CS-336 but you're right, the cutaways are very tight.  I guess they decided the body proportions would look weird if they widened the cutaways.
    They had bigger horns and cutaways on the early ES-336 model, but it was weird looking. I have to say I’ve never had trouble with my 336. Maybe I have small hands(?) but it’s only a smidge worse than an SG - I don’t find it any worse than a Tele.
    I was playing it earlier tonight and the top two frets are almost unusable, which is a shame as the rest of the guitar is wonderful.... actually just remembered another flaw, the taper on the volume pots is way too dramatic between 10 and 9 if you play clean. I will bite the bullet and change the pots at some point.
    Playing the top couple of frets the edge of my palm is in constant contact with the inside of the cutaway.  It's not insurmountable but it's a bit distracting.

(But going back to the thread title, it doesn't ruin the guitar!  It's one of my favourites.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strats, volume pot in wrong place, prone to get knocked by strumming hand, drives me nuts 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    My Gordon Smith Classic S has a really sharp neck heel.  When I take it off the wall it's a constant reminder that it's there and uncomfortable to grab.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    No or insufficient fretboard dots/inlays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Some think having truss rod adjustment at the heel is a more stable construct. Chris Mcintyre in Edinburgh builds his guitars that way.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10386
    tFB Trader
    Bird inlays, or dragons or trees of life ... or anything other than traditional fret markers ... nearly as bad as no markers at all!
    Strat or Tele 'copies' with stupid shaped headstocks.
    Yamaha guitars ... I want to love them, but old SG2000s are beautiful boat anchors that wreck your back, and most new ones are supremely boring.
    Coil split switches that don't have a resistor to ground ... and just give you 'thin and weedy'.
    Traditional Les Paul neck heels and 'quick detach' headstocks.
    Flying Vs that don't have the traditional V shape body or headstock like the Harley Benton 'Victory' ... though I can tolerate the Dean headstock.
    Anything with Gretsch's dreadful cheap and nasty Gretschbuckers.'
    Any shiny black guitar ... I want to play, not spend my time cleaning off fingerprints!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DiscoStu said:
    Angled humbuckers.

Gold hardware.
    Good shout on angled humbuckers. Horrid. I can sort of see the appeal on a 1 pickup 80s shredder, but still not for me.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    The stock bridges on Jazzmasters and Jaguars. Thank God for Staytrem.
  • HAL9000 said:

Large headstock Strats.
    /\ /\ /\ This for sure!
    HAL9000 said:

Large headstock Strats.
    /\ /\ /\ This for sure!
    Not!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    I used to think large headstock strats were wrong but since getting an american special, I dunno, there's something kind of right about it . . . I wonder if it affects the sound
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    This guitar is ruined by Lil Wayne playing it

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    any guitar with me playing it tbh.

Me too :(
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    tony99 said:
    I used to think large headstock strats were wrong but since getting an american special, I dunno, there's something kind of right about it . . . I wonder if it affects the sound
    Watch at the 1:01 mark...

• GassageGassage Frets: 30913
    Any Les Paul where the lazy fucks haven't carved a proper dish.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30913
    Any guitar with scalloped frets

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Any guitar with scalloped frets
    Including something like a Jem, with only a few scallops at the top end of the board?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    ICBM said:

Mahogany necks with a one-piece angled headstock, no reinforcement, and an oversized truss rod access at the weakest point.
    merlin said:
    My point exactly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein