Nice guitars ruined by one feature...

What's Hot

Comments

• Stratocaster with a trem. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9670
    Stratocaster with a trem. ;)
    Despite never using a trem, I'm fairly certain that the trem springs, cavity, and sustain block are all part of why a Strat sounds, well, Stratty.

Also, it's easy enough to block or lock down the trem so IMHO it's not really an issue.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    proggy said:
    I never found Epiphone headstocks to be ugly? Maybe the one on the Sheraton is way too blingy, but that's it.
    I too don't understand all the dislike for Epi headstocks, I think they look alright.
    Agreed I've never looked at one and been bothered by it.

For me its any guitar with a corned beef scratch plate, never seen one I liked but if we all liked the same it would be a boring world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited January 2020
    The pickguard absolutely ruins the look of a Les Paul, it interrupts the curves. Why cover up a nice shape and wood grain with an ugly bit of white or black plastic?

SGs aren’t all neck heavy either. Mine sits fine on any strap, don’t need a grippy one for it to stay put. They also aren’t “too far to the left” unless you have them really high - keep it low and to your hip a bit and it’s the comfiest thing ever, better than a strat.
  • HAL9000 said:
    Stratocaster with a trem. ;)
    Despite never using a trem, I'm fairly certain that the trem springs, cavity, and sustain block are all part of why a Strat sounds, well, Stratty.

Also, it's easy enough to block or lock down the trem so IMHO it's not really an issue.
    It was a cheap shot, but 9/10 strats i see played dont have a trem arm attached. Not even sure where mine is!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited February 2020
    impmann said:
    An awful lot of SG Neck Dive issues are caused by over-heavy machine heads being fitted - such as Grovers. They just *aren't* needed. 

That said, I did own an early 80s SG that was shocking for neck dive but I've been since told that the geometry on these is different to the one I have now.

My 2004 SG Special has been my live weapon of choice since I got it 16 years ago - it has a Rotosound suede strap and it doesn't dive. At. All.
    Oh and the headstock is still intact, despite hitting a recalcitrant bass player with it.
    I've just fitted (See thread with pics here:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172014/gibson-sg-deluxe-v-grover-vintage-deluxe-tuners-are-the-grovers-better-update-rotomatics-fitted ) a set of Grover Rotomatics on my 2006 SG Standard.  The Gibson Deluxe tuners are 14:1 gearing and I'd describe them as 'adequate' at best. They made accurate tuning awkward because they were overly sensitive and were too sensitive to movement and temperature changes.  The stock tuners put me off playing the guitar.

The Rotomatics are 18:1 gear ratio and the difference in tuning accuracy and stability is huge.  Weight wise these are only marginally heavier than the stock tuners, there is absolutely no neck dive, and the guitar actually feels better balanced. Very importantly these are a straight drop in replacement with just one screw hole exposed.  I've kept the original Deluxe tuners just in case I ever sold it (highly unlikely, as it's a lovely guitar) and a buyer wanted to return it to stock.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited February 2020

Voxman said:
    Not so much ruined but annoying. Epiphone Sheraton II's (here's my 1988 Samick factory one) - the fret inlays stop at the 15th fret.  Why??!!  It's a real nuisance because, even though I've been playing some 48 years now I can still sometimes get thrown by it & lose my place towards the dusky end of the neck! 

You can get inlay stickers on eBay, might do the trick. I put some on my step daughters acoustic, you couldn’t feel them and they stayed in place.
    Thanks @chrisj1602 - I did look for some a while back but couldn't find any decent block inlays. However, just looked again and found these for £5 might do the trick - it's only the dusky end I need these for anyway. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • wesker123 said:
    octatonic said:
    Telecasters with 6 saddle bridges.
    Yeah just don't look right.
    James Tyler headstock. Annoying because they sound great.
    agree about the Tyler. that and the short lower bout on pickguard. I know they're looking to be different but for me its not working. Quite a few guitar headstocks put me off. 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Ibanez RG guitars & their super duper unplayably thin necks. I can't deal with them, but I love the looks, the tones, the build quality, the edge system, etc.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    any guitar that doesn't fit a gig bag or has to have a hard case the size of decorators trestle tables
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    edited February 2020
    ANY guitar with stripes on the body.
    FTFY!   ;)
    57Deluxe said:
    any guitar that doesn't fit a gig bag or has to have a hard case the size of decorators trestle tables
    So that's a twin neck out of the running...and most likely too an Explorer or Firebird!
  • "Greetings!!"
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3866
    Neck dive
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    Stratocaster volume knob positioning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    Collings.  The price
  • SpeedySpeedy Frets: 1
    All guitars with me on the end of it 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Floyd’s with sloppy arms and Allen bolts made of cheese 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11704
    edited January 25
    octatonic said:
    Telecasters with 6 saddle bridges.
    I was about to say Teles with 3-saddle bridges 

EDIT: ...plus 7.25 radius + 'vintage' frets.

<shudder>