Lockdown - What new songs have you been mastering ?

What's Hot

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    westford said:
    Struggling to concentrate on anything long enough to master it, but trying to learn Romeo & Juliet and Design For Life properly rather than just banging out chords. Both simpler than I always assumed, but still got some way to go.
    What bit you struggling with...the main verse riff ?.....Happy to do a short vid for you ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084

DeeTee said:
    I've also been going back to My Sharona. It's my white whale. I will feel like I've arrived when I can play the solos properly. The Phil X/Drills video may have influenced this.
    Ive been doing My Sharona also, I stick to the short solo version !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    DeeTee said:
    I've also been going back to My Sharona. It's my white whale. I will feel like I've arrived when I can play the solos properly. The Phil X/Drills video may have influenced this.
    Love playing that song! When you get the solo down (full length one of course!) it's really satisfying - was always my favourite song to play in my old cover band.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 581
    spark240 said:
    westford said:
    Struggling to concentrate on anything long enough to master it, but trying to learn Romeo & Juliet and Design For Life properly rather than just banging out chords. Both simpler than I always assumed, but still got some way to go.
    What bit you struggling with...the main verse riff ?.....Happy to do a short vid for you ?
    Thanks, I can pretty much play my way through both songs, just really slowly at the moment.
  • Electric - Hit me with your best shot
    acoustic - sound of silence

I am very much a beginner even after too many years to count!
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    I got the ZZ top DVD in the sale at lick library last weekend so have started on waiting for the bus. Also got the James Taylor one so some fingerstyle is also on the cards.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EdBoogieEdBoogie Frets: 39
    I learned Al Di Meola - The Wizard. Never want to play it again tbh!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3324
    I intend to not master but be able to play along for its entirety smashing pumpkins Geek USA. It should be simpleish but the opening riff is weird for me. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I've been working on Never Going Back Again by Fleetwood Mac. If you're not habitually a fingerstyle player - which I'm not - then it's quite hard. 
    Snap!

I started last year, gave up after watching a friend of mine master it in about 5 mins, then started again last month. Haven't quite got up to full speed (as on the album) and I find it hard to believe I'll ever be able to sing it at the same time but I can at least play it all the way through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Joy Division Novelty for me. Not particularly difficult but had a few problems getting some of the timing right but good fun to blast through.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 362
    Another Satriani one for me today. The lovely Brother John. No widdly stuff and nicely playable with my stumpy old digits.
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    edited May 2020
    i mentioned earlier that I'd been working on Philip Sayce 5:55.

Here's me doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv0h5qwO3cQ

aaarggh! can't get the inline player to work!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited May 2020
    TTBZ said:
    I tried This Charming Man and swiftly gave up. It's just so different to anything I'd normally play and I couldn't handle it. I know that's all the more reason to learn it, just found it disheartening! Maybe I'll pick it up again soon.
    I'm too giving this a go! Just about got the intro down and just need to tidy up the verse! Didn't realise the tempo was so quick and you gotta get your left hand positions spot on for the swift changes. Also the tuning is slightly weird its standard but 429Hz on the recording. 

A good one to learn though.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Anyone else still doing this?

After just about finishing with ‘This Charming Man’/getting utterly sick/frustrated with it, onto the Peter Green version of ‘Need Your Love so Bad’. Totally different feel and tempo of course, but some real work needed getting feeling and precision Into those bends at the same time...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I haven't bothered trying again yet! Can't force myself to sit through Morrissey's horrid voice for long enough. 

Decided to revisit Mist by Protest the Hero. Had the tab book for years but I've never managed to get through a full song because Luke & Tim are just insane guitarists. I'm actually getting the hang of this one ok though, but my tapping finger is getting blistered again!
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285

A simple one, and some might say cheesy, but I love it, I've just learnt the first solo to Ugly Kid Joe's Busy Bee. The second is a bit above my pay grade I reckon.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • I've started learning Soothsayer by buckethead. It's been a while since I properly practiced, so I'm taking it one small section at a time and not moving on until mastered. Still at the clean intro section but only started a couple of days ago - that intro needs to be flawless to sound right, mistakes stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm looking forward to working on the Paul Gilbert - esque solo. I don't think this one has any of his mental sweep-tapping (where he will sweep, tap with his middle finger, then tap with his pinky, then pull off!) so I should be able to get there eventually. 
  • I'm also trying to write my own stuff a bit. Main thing is finding interesting chord voicing - I took the message in a bottle stretch and added the third for a really cool sounding chord that works major and minor, but it hurts. There are some cool loops in those chords somewhere and I intend to find them :) 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12383
    JerkMoans said:

After just about finishing with ‘This Charming Man’/getting utterly sick/frustrated with it, onto the Peter Green version of ‘Need Your Love so Bad’. Totally different feel and tempo of course, but some real work needed getting feeling and precision Into those bends at the same time...
    I'm still occasionally messing with this charming man I can get speed but not happy with the fluidity, my fingers are too big for the intro fiddling

There's a really great lesson for need your love so bad rhythm part which I used after tackling the intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L41VW2i1Kik
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited June 2020
    munckee said:
    JerkMoans said:

I'm still occasionally messing with this charming man I can get speed but not happy with the fluidity, my fingers are too big for the intro fiddling

There's a really great lesson for need your love so bad rhythm part which I used after tackling the intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L41VW2i1Kik
    Thanks! Been tapping up my old pal The Jase for some help with the lead parts: 

https://youtu.be/h99Ga2oNO2c

Nice thing about it is that he tackles the outro solo, which I cannot find any other tutorial for, even my old ‘Solo’ tab book.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer