Thank You Parcelforce, for ridding the world of a PRS.

What's Hot

Comments

• An update for those that may be interested; despite all PF's attempts at silencing it......Tony's PRS lives to fight another day.... :) 

That is fine finishing work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    An update for those that may be interested; despite all PF's attempts at silencing it......Tony's PRS lives to fight another day.... :) 

We need a step-by-step photo history of the repair process , please Neil!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Philly_Q said:
    An update for those that may be interested; despite all PF's attempts at silencing it......Tony's PRS lives to fight another day.... :) 

It involved lots of me bitting my nails and mumbling incoherently  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5292
    tone1 said:
    Philly_Q said:

It involved lots of me bitting my nails and mumbling incoherently  =)
    usual love making patter then :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    edited September 2020
    I can’t thank Neil enough @IvisonGuitars It’s had a fret dress and new bone nut (as per the new DGT’s). I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with her yet... but @Gassage has first dibs if I do decide to sell, as he has been fantastic too! Thanks guys 3
  •  I have just sent a fellow member a guitar through parcelforce , this is all very worrying. :/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    A pleasure to help out @tone1 :)

@Philly_Q No time for that on this one i'm afraid :)

**As a side note (as it's so often overlooked) for anyone sending a guitar with ANY courier, or if you're flying with a guitar and checking it in or if you are in a situation when someone else will be handling your guitar who doesn’t really care what it is in the case....ALWAYS slacken off your strings** :) 

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    A pleasure to help out @tone1 :)

@Philly_Q No time for that on this one i'm afraid :)

**As a side note (as it's so often overlooked) for anyone sending a guitar with ANY courier, or if you're flying with a guitar and checking it in or if you are in a situation when someone else will be handling your guitar who doesn’t really care what it is in the case....ALWAYS slacken off your strings** :) 

Oh well, you can't blame me for trying. :)

Interesting point about slackening the strings, there seems to be so much debate about whether that's necessary or not, but I've never seen how it could do any harm.  Better safe than sorry.

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    tone1 said:
    I can’t thank Neil enough @IvisonGuitars It’s had a fret dress and new bone nut (as per the new DGT’s). I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with her yet... but @Gassage has first dibs if I do decide to sell, as he has been fantastic too! Thanks guys 3
    Not sure why PRS have switched to the bone nut, its not what Grissom uses on his. He told me personally a few years back that all his PRS go to Ed Reynolds in Austin for nut and fretwork and that he used a man made material like Delrin. He said the original PRS nuts would wear out in a matter of months. 
    Great repair.....perfection!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    10thumbs said:

I have just sent a fellow member a guitar through parcelforce , this is all very worrying. :/

Oh dear. After all the warnings on here about not using PF? I hope it’s a cheapie or at least a Tele or a Strat with the neck taken off. 
  • To be fair, any courier company has the capacity to smash things to buggery.  I had a blackstar HT1R arrive in bits via UPS once and a THR10 delivered by DPD arrive with a grille bent inwards due to what I assume was it being placed next to a wall and have an FLT or something equally powerful reverse in to it.  They all have nicknames for a reason:

Parcelforce = Parcelfarce
    UPS = Unsurprisingly Poor Service
    DHL = Drop it, hide it, lose it. 

etc.  The worth of a courier company is how they deal with shit when it does go wrong.  Which again, makes them all vary degrees of mediocre!

The repair looks absolutely superb, hope PF pay out :)
  • Christ,! That's invisible!
  • An update for those that may be interested; despite all PF's attempts at silencing it......Tony's PRS lives to fight another day.... :) 

Top quality work on that repair!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    edited September 2020
    Arktik83 said:
    To be fair, any courier company has the capacity to smash things to buggery.  I had a blackstar HT1R arrive in bits via UPS once and a THR10 delivered by DPD arrive with a grille bent inwards due to what I assume was it being placed next to a wall and have an FLT or something equally powerful reverse in to it.  They all have nicknames for a reason:

Parcelforce = Parcelfarce
    UPS = Unsurprisingly Poor Service
    DHL = Drop it, hide it, lose it. 

etc.  The worth of a courier company is how they deal with shit when it does go wrong.  Which again, makes them all vary degrees of mediocre!

The repair looks absolutely superb, hope PF pay out
    Amen.

DPD = damaged parcel delivery 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• For what it’s worth, I shipped two Strats earlier this year with Parcelforce, in gig bags and proper guitar shipping cartons, and they both arrived unscathed and on time. I also sold my SG 61 reissue a couple of weeks ago and the buyer used Parcelforce to pick it up. It was in a hard case, strings slackened, and very well packed by me in a proper carton; it was collected at 6.30pm one evening and delivered to the other end of the country by 11.30 the next morning, in perfect shape. I’ve also used Parcelforce to send and receive guitars and amps on several other occasions over the years and the only issues that I’ve had have been a broken Les Paul switch tip (my fault for not taking it off before shipping) and broken feet on a Marshall combo because the sender didn’t pack it well. So Parcelforce don’t always get it wrong.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I always took mine down to the post office, for years. I never had a problem, either.. I think I stopped because they shut the big post office I used..
    Only in recent years did I start using other couriers. Never had any problems, with them, either.. Lucky, I guess..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

All courier companies fuck things up occasionally and they're the ones we remember, so we go round saying "never use Parcelforce, never use UPS, never use DPD", whereas other people will recommend those companies heartily because they've never had anything go wrong.  It's all based on a limited number of personal experiences but we try to turn it into something global.

I'm not excusing them for the fuckups - like this PRS - and trying to get restitution when they do damage or lose something is a pain in the arse, but 99% of deliveries go without a hitch.  If there really was a courier company which never messed anything up, all the others would go out of business.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    Philly_Q said:

All courier companies fuck things up occasionally and they're the ones we remember, so we go round saying "never use Parcelforce, never use UPS, never use DPD", whereas other people will recommend those companies heartily because they've never had anything go wrong.  It's all based on a limited number of personal experiences but we try to turn it into something global.

I'm not excusing them for the fuckups - like this PRS - and trying to get restitution when they do damage or lose something is a pain in the arse, but 99% of deliveries go without a hitch.  If there really was a courier company which never messed anything up, all the others would go out of business.

Would depend on price.  If they charged twice as much, then people would use cheaper ones for less valuable items.  Big business sellers might still decide that losing one parcel in 50 still works out cheaper than paying for a better courier.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    edited September 2020
    For what it’s worth, I shipped two Strats earlier this year with Parcelforce, in gig bags and proper guitar shipping cartons, and they both arrived unscathed and on time. I also sold my SG 61 reissue a couple of weeks ago and the buyer used Parcelforce to pick it up. It was in a hard case, strings slackened, and very well packed by me in a proper carton; it was collected at 6.30pm one evening and delivered to the other end of the country by 11.30 the next morning, in perfect shape. I’ve also used Parcelforce to send and receive guitars and amps on several other occasions over the years and the only issues that I’ve had have been a broken Les Paul switch tip (my fault for not taking it off before shipping) and broken feet on a Marshall combo because the sender didn’t pack it well. So Parcelforce don’t always get it wrong.
    I’ve sent guitars out by Parcelforce in the past too with no issues, but it’s turned out I just got lucky. The real problem isn’t when Parcelforce get things right, it’s when they screw up. Then you find out from the T&c’s that you’re only covered for £200 maximum and that the extra insurance you shelled out for is useless. Those Strats in gig bags wouldn’t have been eligible for any compensation at all by the way. If they’d arrived damaged you would’ve lost out completely as PF insist guitars must be in a hardcase. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    For what it’s worth, I shipped two Strats earlier this year with Parcelforce, in gig bags and proper guitar shipping cartons, and they both arrived unscathed and on time. I also sold my SG 61 reissue a couple of weeks ago and the buyer used Parcelforce to pick it up. It was in a hard case, strings slackened, and very well packed by me in a proper carton; it was collected at 6.30pm one evening and delivered to the other end of the country by 11.30 the next morning, in perfect shape. I’ve also used Parcelforce to send and receive guitars and amps on several other occasions over the years and the only issues that I’ve had have been a broken Les Paul switch tip (my fault for not taking it off before shipping) and broken feet on a Marshall combo because the sender didn’t pack it well. So Parcelforce don’t always get it wrong.
    The fact that they don't destroy every single guitar that they touch certainly is a major plus point in their favour.