Does anyone *NOT* like valve amps?

What's Hot

Comments

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    Can't say I dislike valve amps since I've used and owned a good few but I do tend to prefer a solid state amp overall. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72432
    Can't say I dislike valve amps since I've used and owned a good few but I do tend to prefer a solid state amp overall. 
    I definitely don't dislike valve amps as such, although I've played some truly awful ones as well as some great ones, and a few that I genuinely have no idea why they were ever made, other than just to make an amp with valves in and which sound far worse than even a quite average solid-state one.

Possibly ironically, some of the very best sounds I've ever got have been with valve preamp pedals into solid-state amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    Liked the sound, hated the weight.
    ... and the reliability.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’ve been using the ax8 in recent years but probably about the add another valve amp and go back to just sticking a mic on it.   The fractal gives me more quick options but I’m going to just take the right amp to the gig when they start again.  
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    edited May 2020
    i like the sound you can get for recordings but I find them really hard to enjoy on small / medium stages 
    The song hardly ever sound and breath the way it should for people on stage and everyone often ends up playing too loud.

I don't mind them in big venues, I do prefer modelers for any live application though. 
    Sound wise in the studio you can get them to sound fantastic, just as good as a good modeler.
    I should add that it is just amps in general,  solid state, tube or even digital.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12399
    Jackobean said:
    Boromedic said:
    Jackobean said:
    They're ridiculous, like so many things associated with guitar.
    A moribund technology for an increasingly irrelevant instrument.
    How about a side of misery to go with the pessimism! Jeez, yes in popular music terms the guitar has gone back to being a support or back up instrument instead of at the forefront, but I'm not really a fan of popular music per se. Plenty of great bands out there still making awesome guitar music though, and a lot using valve amps. Having just gone back to valve amps, I think I'll be staying with them too.
    Hardly. I'm overjoyed the younger generations haven't fallen for the same brand of toxic nostalgia that pervades boomer culture. Aside from their inexplicable love of Friends...

No one needs more throwback 60's music played on exact replicas of 50's/60's gear.
    I do. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1088
    I do but since acquiring my Kemper Profiler this may change!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1787
    Completely unbothered to own one these days I hear things I like but I have used modelling since early vox//line6 days and these days Kemper and Helix keep me amused.  Last Valve amp I owned was a Seymour Duncan back in the late 80's.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    edited May 2020
    Keefy said:
    That guy who makes Session amps - he’s not keen on them.
    Considering he used to make a very nice 15w valve combo

I couldn't be without a good valve amp or two, the interaction between one and a good guitar is something that always brings a silly grin to my face :)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12910
    Whilst I would have phrased it differently I see where @Jackobean is coming from.

Along with Sporky I also never understood the "guitar as historical re-enactment" thing. That said, its definitely more vintage-flavoured gear that I lean towards and I'm sitting here with a Princeton Reverb so you can definitely add me into the "loves valve amps" camp. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    Jackobean said:
    They're ridiculous, like so many things associated with guitar.
    A moribund technology for an increasingly irrelevant instrument.
    A fair point, well made.
    Do you have a stab proof vest & fire insurance?  ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    hate 'em :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2232
    I suppose there's a difference between liking using valve amps and liking the sound valve amps make even in a once removed situation. So, if you like Award Session amps or use a Helix it's still roughly based on sounding like a valve amp. Even the 1970s artists who used solid state generally eventually went over to valves when they had the money/ roadies. 
    But there are artists who have based their sound around amps like the Roland Jazz Chorus - you'd get a lot more valve naysayers if this was a jazz or soukous guitar forum.
    I think for the noises I make if my valve amps were destroyed in a house fire I would probably replace them with solid state. Indeed I'd be tempted by a Jazz Chorus because that does do a thing valve doesn't do as well and then try to find ways to make that 'valve like ' when I wanted it. 
    I found a Fairfield compressor can make a Jazz Chorus sound very valve-like.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I don't like that they are more temperamental and expensive to retube and constant servicing. BUT I do like the sound, smell and overall old schoolness...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72432
    rlw said:
    I like the idea of valve amps - indeed, I have one - but, for my purposes, solid state is far more useable and practical, even scaleable I suppose in volume terms.
    That's something I've always liked about solid-state - the ability to adjust volume independently of tone. While some valve amps do it quite well - especially higher-powered ones running well below their capability - most have a much more obvious interaction between the two, which can be annoying in a mix. You can fix that to some extent with attenuation, but that causes other compromises.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I dislike valve amps that don't have a good clean sound.
    I dislike solid state amps that don't have a decent drive sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1656
    they sound immense, no denying it.. but  often they have to be too loud, they're heavy, can be unreliable, they're expensive.

Now the big guns are using digital live, it cements my decision to avoid them all along.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26638
    I guess you could say I dislike them. I mean...on balance, the only thing I like about them is the sound, and I hate pretty much everything else about them (the heat, the inefficiency, the lack of versatility, the lack of reliability, the maintenance costs and the general pain-in-the-ass-ness). I also dislike the fact that, despite being a fully-mature technology from almost a century ago, they're still ludicrously expensive for what they are.

I can also get exactly the sounds I want from modern high-end modellers, which have none of the above drawbacks. I just get bored when I've got too much at my fingertips.

So I've got a valve amp.

I'm just a barrel o' contradictions.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2600
    edited June 2020
    I haven’t gigged one in decades. I own a couple  but only because I haven’t got round to selling them. They haven’t been switched on in years.

I’m a clean pedal platform player.  The right solid state amp - I use Quilter - sounds as good if not better than most valve amps, weighs a fraction, and is generally more reliable and less faff.

I don’t dislike valve amps but for my purpose they are superseded technology and a bit pointless.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”