Bastard Evil Dog Things!

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    S56035 said:
    she can safely chase rabbits (and fail to catch up with any of them)

I'm sure the rabbits think that's awesome fun.
    The rabbits are about 50 metres ahead of her and run around everywhere, so she will chase them. Though she can't catch them as way too slow!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Mark1960 said:
    tony99 said:
    Mark1960 said:
    As a (hopefully responsible) dog owner, I have owned and trained many dogs over the years, and despite the best intentions (or otherwise) of their owners they can act in unpredictable and / or antisocial ways. Even a well trained normally obedient dog can cause problems. The only advice I could give to joggers / cyclists is this

The dog is most likely attracted to the movement. If you can not out pace the dog to a gate or fence and get away, the best policy is to stop, fold your arms over your body, and look down at the floor. This in effect takes away what has attracted the dog in the first place, and if it is a curiosity thing, the dog will most probably have a sniff and move on. Too much movement at this stage risks escalating the excitement level of the dog. The vast majority of dogs off the lead are not "attack dogs", and when they realise there is "no fun" to be had, they will move on.

In no way do I condone this behaviour, but merely hope to pass on some possible tips to work with.

What are your thoughts on the wheelbarrow technique?
    I can only assume that this suggestion is a joke. I don't know if it would work, but I would challenge anybody to attempt to  grab a dog (not their own) by it's hind legs, and then hang onto it, whilst it was in an excited agitated state of mind. Even if you were quick enough to do it, and strong enough to hold it, the dog would simply twist around, and respectfully request that you desist from such foolishness. Same goes for trying to force it's front legs apart. Does anybody really think that an aggressive dog would just stand there and let you do it???? Canine reactions are ridiculously quick, far faster than any human reaction I've ever seen. De-escalation of the situation would be far better IMHO.
    @digitalscream what's the score here fella? is the wheelbarrow technique just for shits n gigs?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • tony99 said:
    Mark1960 said:
    tony99 said:
    Mark1960 said:
    As a (hopefully responsible) dog owner, I have owned and trained many dogs over the years, and despite the best intentions (or otherwise) of their owners they can act in unpredictable and / or antisocial ways. Even a well trained normally obedient dog can cause problems. The only advice I could give to joggers / cyclists is this

The dog is most likely attracted to the movement. If you can not out pace the dog to a gate or fence and get away, the best policy is to stop, fold your arms over your body, and look down at the floor. This in effect takes away what has attracted the dog in the first place, and if it is a curiosity thing, the dog will most probably have a sniff and move on. Too much movement at this stage risks escalating the excitement level of the dog. The vast majority of dogs off the lead are not "attack dogs", and when they realise there is "no fun" to be had, they will move on.

In no way do I condone this behaviour, but merely hope to pass on some possible tips to work with.

I can only assume that this suggestion is a joke. I don't know if it would work, but I would challenge anybody to attempt to  grab a dog (not their own) by it's hind legs, and then hang onto it, whilst it was in an excited agitated state of mind. Even if you were quick enough to do it, and strong enough to hold it, the dog would simply twist around, and respectfully request that you desist from such foolishness. Same goes for trying to force it's front legs apart. Does anybody really think that an aggressive dog would just stand there and let you do it???? Canine reactions are ridiculously quick, far faster than any human reaction I've ever seen. De-escalation of the situation would be far better IMHO.
    @digitalscream what's the score here fella? is the wheelbarrow technique just for shits n gigs?
    Try it on the missus tonight and let us know if she barks or not.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    Mark1960 said:
    tony99 said:
    Mark1960 said:

ok but if she shits outside again I'm blaming you!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    Mark1960 said:
    tony99 said:
    Mark1960 said:

ok but if she shits outside again I'm blaming you!
    Nowt to do with me guvnor! Where she shits is your 

Pierogi

Bye!

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26584
    It actually does work. It unsettles the dog and usually has the effect of them stopping. Like all other things in such a circumstance, it requires a certain situational awareness - and, self-evidently, being elsewhere or keeping distance between you and the dog is infinitely better. Anything involving short-range contact is risky and should only be used as a last resort if you can't get get any distance between you, or there are other risks (eg children nearby).
    <space for hire>
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    stonevibe said:
    S56035 said:

The rabbits are about 50 metres ahead of her and run around everywhere, so she will chase them. Though she can't catch them as way too slow!
    Are you interested in buying a Lurcher ?
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 991
    From a good bit of googling, there's a fairly consistent set of advice, much of it mentioned here already:

Remain calm and as stationary as possible, arms and hands at the sides.

Talk firmly and calmly and use words like "sit" and "down" - quite a few apparently respond to this!

Avoidance of staring the dog in the eye is also a widespread recommendation, but don't lose sight of it.

If they really keep going, the advice seems to be clear (and there's some good stats quoted form US research on several sites); give it some thing to bite that isn't you - most sources name this a "bite stick", though it could be gloves, bags or coats - essentially something it can chew on without harming you.  They often calm down, but it can also give time and space to retire the scene.

And slowly back away.

Climbing something is often mentioned.

Most suggest attacking the dog's pointless, even stupid.  They get more excited and you get hurt - pretty much whatever you use (limb or weapon).  They're quicker than you, have thick skulls and typically keep going, even with mortal injuries.

There are apparently very few recorded cases where an attack on the dog by the human victim has had any success (a few, but statistically irrelevant).

The vast majority of reports of dogs being injured or killed, are when a third part intervenes unseen by the dog.  Usually this intervention is with the sort of things that Americans carry, that we would spend time chatting to the rozzers about*...

Even many of the US doomsday survivalist sites don't recommend attacking a dog - but do say carry yet more weapons!

There's next to no useful guidance on multiple dog attacks, beyond keeping an eye on them all as best you can...

*mainly guns and big hunting knives (few bats or clubs) - though victims are always too slow and drawing them gives the dog something to bite!

Most suggest attacking the dog's pointless, even stupid.  They get more excited and you get hurt - pretty much whatever you use (limb or weapon).  They're quicker than you, have thick skulls and typically keep going, even with mortal injuries.

There are apparently very few recorded cases where an attack on the dog by the human victim has had any success (a few, but statistically irrelevant).

The vast majority of reports of dogs being injured or killed, are when a third part intervenes unseen by the dog.  Usually this intervention is with the sort of things that Americans carry, that we would spend time chatting to the rozzers about*...

Even many of the US doomsday survivalist sites don't recommend attacking a dog - but do say carry yet more weapons!
    Well ok, but kind of depends if you class the finger technique as an attack or not.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1125
    stonevibe said:
    S56035 said:

I'm sure the love it and are in no way in fear for their lives.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited June 2020
    Dominic said:
    stonevibe said:
    S56035 said:

Are you interested in buying a Lurcher ?
    My dog plays with a few Lurchers, a whippet cross beagle (one of her best mates) and a couple of greyhounds. She thinks she can catch up with them for a nanosecond then reality kicks in, believe me she hasn't got a hope. But she enjoys a challenge!

My dog loves to be chased and so will steal a stick or ball from her mates, in the hope that they will chase her.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    It actually does work. It unsettles the dog and usually has the effect of them stopping. Like all other things in such a circumstance, it requires a certain situational awareness - and, self-evidently, being elsewhere or keeping distance between you and the dog is infinitely better. Anything involving short-range contact is risky and should only be used as a last resort if you can't get get any distance between you, or there are other risks (eg children nearby).

I'm sure it would unsettle the dog, but I still can't how you would be able to do it on an aggressive agitated dog. You would have to bend down with you face at around the same level as the dog....with all those teeth. Good luck with that!
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    Fenton!!
    You called! I'm actually called Fenton.