One technique will be banished from guitar history which is it?

What's Hot

Comments

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    7/8/9 string boingy metal rhythm.

If you need nine strings to be heavy then your riffs are shitty.

Do people with 9 string guitars ever play any of the strings except the lowest two?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    Playing 8 notes where one will do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    ‘Articulations’ which consist of jerking the finger up or down a few frets before hitting the desired note. I assume it’s intended to add ‘colour’ or ‘expression’ to playing. 

The effect is to make everything randomly off pitch so it becomes the guitar equivalent of listening to a Theresa May or an Ann Widecombe speak to you. 

Distracting. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Circular vibrato. More of a visual thing really, I just find it...well sort of creepy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    skunkwerx said:
    Stupid ass fake exaggerated asinine guitar faces used in instagram vanity videos. 

Sophieguitar I’m looking right at you.

I stopped following her on social media when I felt her IG posts were all about getting follows by being, i suppose provocative is the closest way to describe it, as opposed to playing guitar. My daughter quite liked her videos but it gave the wrong impression about what playing a guitar is.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    As for banning a technique, I would add guitar face to the list and ban it instantly.

It seems to be that players who didn't used to pull all these faces started to do it when they began posting more video content to social media. 
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Circular vibrato. More of a visual thing really, I just find it...well sort of creepy.
    But the ladeeez love it!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Using one of your Grans  scrunchies to dampen the strings.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Bidley said:
    Don't understand the hate for guitar face. Nothing worse than watching a band where every band member looks like they'd rather be somewhere else.

I realise many would prefer the guitar world to be shades of beige, but I'd take a goofy face over someone who takes themselves far too seriously.
    The problem is that mostly guitar face *is* players taking themselves far too seriously - "look at all this intensity and emotion I'm displaying."

You can look like you're having a great time with a simple smile, or you can pull a guitar face like you're having a difficult crap, or a wank...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ban any guitarist that plays a full barre chord when he has a bass player in his band.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • erueru Frets: 53
    Over-the-top vibrato used by blues rock noodlers (especially while pulling stupid faces) was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    Making endless, microscopic adjustments to the volume and tone knobs, like you are on some quest for a secret tonal nirvana, but the result of which are completely imperceptible, even to bats with the very keenest sense of hearing. Fucking stop it!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    Jeremiah said:
    7/8/9 string boingy metal rhythm.

If you need nine strings to be heavy then your riffs are shitty.

Do people with 9 string guitars ever play any of the strings except the lowest two?
    Tosin Abasi does.

But he might be the only one.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    Ban any guitarist that plays a full barre chord when he has a bass player in his band.
    As a bassist I disagree.

Gives me more room to do the Jack Bruce thing and actually play a part rather than roots.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    artiebear said:
    Bangy, tappy acoustic stuff, especially covers that would sound a lot better if the guy could find find a couple of mates ( which he obviously hasn't got )  to play bass and drums better than he can while he concentrates on making the guitar part sound musical. The worse versions of this style sound  like guy next door building a shed while hammering in the nails with a banjo. 
    Absolutely agree with this - such an annoying 'style'
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    None of them...but any of them if they're done badly. I've just been on Facebook and seen a guy advertising lessons locally and his bends are out of tune....not good. 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    edited July 2020
    ICBM said:
    Guitar face.

All of the others are good in moderation and in the right context. Well, apart from the pointing at the crowd thing...
    https://youtu.be/OQua5ZNd9PQ
    https://youtu.be/Bp7evCQWBgU
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    ICBM said:
    Bidley said:
    Don't understand the hate for guitar face. Nothing worse than watching a band where every band member looks like they'd rather be somewhere else.

I realise many would prefer the guitar world to be shades of beige, but I'd take a goofy face over someone who takes themselves far too seriously.
    The problem is that mostly guitar face *is* players taking themselves far too seriously - "look at all this intensity and emotion I'm displaying."

I feel the opposite - when I'm playing at home alone and relaxed I will be smiling, grimacing, wincing and gurning every other beat.
    On stage in front of people I stiffen up a bit - would probably be much more entertaining if I was a bit more relaxed!

This post may look bad out of context.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    CloudNine said:
    Making endless, microscopic adjustments to the volume and tone knobs, like you are on some quest for a secret tonal nirvana, but the result of which are completely imperceptible, even to bats with the very keenest sense of hearing. Fucking stop it!
    Combined with that "ta daaaa" volume roll off  when they finish playing; or extra flamboyant switching of the Les Paul pickup switch.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    Looping ..... people think it's clever but it's really not. If you want to be clever learn how to play all four parts at once. Don't bore me making me watch you build it bit by bit because the process really isn't interesting. And I know once you have built this masterpiece and are ready to sing over it I will be hearing the same 4 chords throughout the whole song!
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom