Is there a band that you have followed forever and still love?

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited August 2020
    Marillion are probably the only long lived band that I have followed since the very early days and ongoing.  I appreciate that Axisus has a view that the music changed when Fish went his separate way, I happen to think that it refreshed the band and certainly once they managed to dump EMI and go it alone their Music just got better and better. 

Springsteen since Born to Run, though there are a couple of the more recent folky albums that haven't done it for me.  Ive still get them though. 

and Chris Rea is the only other artist that I have a complete set of.  The later blues/jazz releases where very good indeed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited August 2020
    Sublime
    Foo Fighters
    Zeppelin
    Bob Marley
    The Beatles
    Pearl Jam
    Elliott Smith
    Notorious BIG
  • Patti Smith.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited August 2020
    Philly_Q said:

The first band that sprang to mind would've been Rush, but they are sadly no more.  Probably the only band I followed for 40 years who were as good at the end as they were in the beginning, and anywhere in between.  And hardly ever a duff album.

Bob Mould - I have hardly any of the Husker Du albums, but I have all his solo material and the Sugar albums.  I don't listen to them very often, though.

Bob Mould's latest album, Sunshine Rock, is excellent, I reckon.  His best solo work (and I'm including Sugar there).
    I grew up on Husker Du, but you should probably avoid the early stuff. New Day Rising is my pick of their more evolved early output and a great place to start of they're not familiar to you.

I only recently tried Rush again, having always struggled with the vocal to be honest.  Great musicians of course, and this time around I'm enjoying listening to them.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Steely Dan & Donald Fagen
    Toto
    Journey for quite a while
    Thin Lizzy
    Crowded House and subsequent Finn projects
    The Police and subsequent Sting projects
    Lewis Taylor
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    Wis for Foo Fighters. I know some find them bland, but the songwriting and live quality has been there from day 1 and recent records have still been decent.  

I agree with @ICBM on Pearl Jam. I like Vedder's voice, and I do love Even Flow but I've tried really hard with a lot of the rest and I just don't quite get it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    edited August 2020
    viz said:

Duran Duran
    I nearly said them too, but there are a couple of terrible albums from the late 90s when John Taylor had left. The ones after he came back have been pretty good though.

thumpingrug said: 

Springsteen since Born to Run, though there are a couple of the more recent folky albums that haven't done it for me.  Ive still get them though.
    I’ve got all of them too, but it’s actually the other way round for me - it’s the more rocky ones that I haven’t liked after the late 90s... they just sound like the same formula over and over but without much inspiration.

Looking at my collection, the last 'rock' song he did that I really liked was the band version of Blood Brothers, which is on the Secret Garden single from 1995.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Marillion are probably the only long lived band that I have followed since the very early days and ongoing.  I appreciate that Axisus has a view that the music changed when Fish went his separate way, I happen to think that it refreshed the band and certainly once they managed to dump EMI and go it alone their Music just got better and better. 

I love the way that they have conducted themselves as a band, and I do think that they produce great, thoughtful and well executed music. The problem I have is that none of it actually moves me, well, one track, I think that Easter is superb. I have 8 of the later albums but I have no recollection of any song on any album, where I can sing along to everything on the first four!
  • axisus said:

I love the way that they have conducted themselves as a band, and I do think that they produce great, thoughtful and well executed music. The problem I have is that none of it actually moves me, well, one track, I think that Easter is superb. I have 8 of the later albums but I have no recollection of any song on any album, where I can sing along to everything on the first four!
    We’re gonna need a separate Marillion thread!

Fish era: 4 albums in 4 years
    H era: 15 albums in 27 years

You must be able to immerse yourself in ‘Brave’ or ‘FEAR’ and come out thinking they’re on par with the first four in some way...do it! ;)

That said, they have to hit you at the right time. I know ‘Clutching at Straws’ is not their strongest and things were coming apart at the seams but I have a soft spot for it (discovered them in 1985...worked backwards...then anticipated the next release). I also had a disconnect...actually after ‘Seasons End’...but I’m glad I got over it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    DrJazzTap said:
    Faith No More
    I forgot them!

Yes, definitely.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337

You must be able to immerse yourself in ‘Brave’ or ‘FEAR’ and come out thinking they’re on par with the first four in some way...do it! ;)

I have Brave and Fear, bought both on release. Sorry they are OK but they don't really do it for me. Those first four albums had amazing guitar solos that ripped your heart out! Every one was a highlight. They had keyboard solos as well. H is a fine singer, but there was a passion about Fish that I loved. The fact is that they toned down the guitar solos after the first 4 albums. Personally I liked Script and Fugazi best, although the two that followed had amazing class and precision to the production. I couldn't get into Fish's solo career either. The magic was the band.

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 636
    Pere Ubu.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

Trouble 

Oh gosh, how did I forget Trouble?  Although I'm not sure if I liked the last album with Kyle Thomas and I'm also not sure if they're still a going concern.
    They are still going, based on Kyle and Rick's facebook pages. They were supposed to play here a few weeks back.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    Kings of Leon .... I look forward to every new release and love everything they put out. Nobody sounds like them and they have a knack of writing songs that get better with repeated listening rather than get boring. 
    They also "sound" like a band where so many sound like a song writer, a bunch of session men and a producer. You can tell a lot of it is ol skool live recording. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4162
    edited August 2020
    Guns n roses , Rolling Stones , van halen ,Aerosmith , crüe,Leppard ,Dokken,Ratt ,bang tango 
  • Toto
    It Bites
    Steely Dan
    Francis Dunnery
    and in more recent times Steven Wilson.
    Toto rule love isolation and the seventh one , also love 80s starship like knee deep in hoopla and the burn 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11296
    I've been a fan of Deep Purple since Machine Head came out. There have been lengthy periods of no product and poor product but in their prime they were brilliant. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    scrumhalf said:
    I've been a fan of Deep Purple since Machine Head came out. There have been lengthy periods of no product and poor product but in their prime they were brilliant. 
    I've tried, but I just haven't liked anything that wasn't done by the Mk2 or Mk3 line-ups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    ICBM said:
    scrumhalf said:
    I've tried, but I just haven't liked anything that wasn't done by the Mk2 or Mk3 line-ups.

Would you include the 1980s albums by the re-formed Mk2 lineup?  I thought they were OK. 

I have several of the albums with Morse (and latterly Airey) but I've only played them once or twice each.  I've always found Gillan's voice and - even more so - his lyrical style a bit irritating, but he gets worse as he gets older. 

• vizviz Frets: 10695
    @ICBM said:
    viz said:

Duran Duran
    I nearly said them too, but there are a couple of terrible albums from the late 90s when John Taylor had left. The ones after he came back have been pretty good though.

thumpingrug said: 

I’ve got all of them too, but it’s actually the other way round for me - it’s the more rocky ones that I haven’t liked after the late 90s... they just sound like the same formula over and over but without much inspiration.

Looking at my collection, the last 'rock' song he did that I really liked was the band version of Blood Brothers, which is on the Secret Garden single from 1995.
    Like what? Big Thing and Liberty? (I’m guessing coz I can’t remember who’s in what)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.