Is there a band that you have followed forever and still love?

What's Hot

Comments

• EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    Quite a few here:
    - Dire Straits (including Mark Knopfler's solo material)
    - Fleetwood Mac (especially the Peter Green era)
    - Manic Street Preachers
    - Marvin Gaye
    - The Band
    - The Beach Boys (everything with Brian Wilson contributing, that is)
    - The Black Crowes
    - The Who ánd Pete Townshend's solo material
    - Thin Lizzy (both the early Eric Bell era as the later twin-guitar lineups)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    edited August 2020
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    Loads but in the main:

Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    The Darkness
    REM (appreciate they're no longer with us)
    Third Eye Blind
    The National
    Zeppelin

I could list more, but Metallica are my all time faves, even though St Anger, Death Magnetic and Lulu tested my patience!

I cannot abide what Stephen Jenkins has done to 3EB. Their first two albums are masterpieces, and to a lesser extent Out of the Vein. But the beating heart that helped give the group its unique sound, Kevin Cadogan (one of the reasons I play guitar), being kicked out of the band for absolutely no reason was piss poor form, and they’ve not managed to capture what the first two albums bought with any of their recent stuff (imho, of course) 
    I agree 100 percent, but I still follow them and saw them play in London in 2013 as a result. Kevin is a genius and the Axl Rose isms of a certain Mr Jenkins have always pissed me off. Self Titled and Blue will always have a permanent place on my life's playlist. 
    Blue is absolute perfection from start to finish as far as I’m concerned. 

Out of the Vein is interesting to me, as some of the hooks and melodies are VERY KC-esque but he obviously has no writing credits. I’ve asked Kevin whether any of the songs contain any of his ideas, but he’s said he has never heard the album. But I’m convinced Jenkins has used ideas that may have come out of previous recording sessions (especially on things like Faster, Crystal Baller etc) 
    Out of the Vein is definitely a bridge between the Kevin and none Kevin eras, Tony's guitar playing is trying to ape him but isn't quite the same. It's heavier in places like My Hit And Run (which is a fave), but Good Man and stuff sounds very much like Cadogan demos etc. Sorely missed for me, if only Jenkins would sort himself out and realise how much he needed Kev's melodies and playing he'd be quids in. 

I should add Arion Salazar is a big chunk of their original sound too. The No Guitar Is Safe podcast with Kev is great at explaining his tunings and playing style. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Kings of Leon (laugh all you want).

They've been my favourite band since my brother started playing the new debut album from a little family band in Tennessee on iTunes as loud as the computer could handle it so he could listen in the shower in the next room.

It wasn't until I just googled, I found out this was 14 years ago, so I'd have been 8 or 9.

While I've thought some of their albums aren't as good as others, even the shittest ones (Mechanical Bull) have 3 or 4 good songs on them.

Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22862
    andy_k said:
    I'll go with Warrior Soul, first time I saw them they were supporting The Almighty and Alice in Chains at Brixton academy, what a line up.
    I saw every gig I could get to around then, shook Hetfields hand at the warm up WS did before they opened up Donnington 96.
    Some of their best stuff has been the later albums with only Kory Clarke remaining of the original line up, and the only music I have bought this year is the 2020 remastered version of the spin off band Space Age Playboys, which dropped through my door yesterday, honestly sounds amazing for a 23 year old record.
    Criminally under rated band, and the album they recorded as a fuck you to Geffen when they had been screwed over, Chill Pill, is probably in my top 10, with Pistols, Zeppelin, GnR, seriously great album.
    I've been away for a few days and only just read this.  I loved Warrior Soul, saw them several times back in the early '90s.  But I very much favour the early, politically themed, albums with the original (apart from drummer change) band lineup, I was gutted when John Ricco left (or got sacked, or whatever happened).  I don't really like Chill Pill or any of the later stuff (that I've heard), but Last Decade Dead Century has to be one of the greatest debut albums and I also still love Salutations from the Ghetto Nation.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9540
    Still yet to be bettered...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2020

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Philly_Q said:
    andy_k said:
    I'll go with Warrior Soul, first time I saw them they were supporting The Almighty and Alice in Chains at Brixton academy, what a line up.
    I saw every gig I could get to around then, shook Hetfields hand at the warm up WS did before they opened up Donnington 96.
    Some of their best stuff has been the later albums with only Kory Clarke remaining of the original line up, and the only music I have bought this year is the 2020 remastered version of the spin off band Space Age Playboys, which dropped through my door yesterday, honestly sounds amazing for a 23 year old record.
    Criminally under rated band, and the album they recorded as a fuck you to Geffen when they had been screwed over, Chill Pill, is probably in my top 10, with Pistols, Zeppelin, GnR, seriously great album.
    I've been away for a few days and only just read this.  I loved Warrior Soul, saw them several times back in the early '90s.  But I very much favour the early, politically themed, albums with the original (apart from drummer change) band lineup, I was gutted when John Ricco left (or got sacked, or whatever happened).  I don't really like Chill Pill or any of the later stuff (that I've heard), but Last Decade Dead Century has to be one of the greatest debut albums and I also still love Salutations from the Ghetto Nation.
    I think the production is a bit dated on the first couple, Chill Pill, to my ears has a very good sound and the first couple of tracks on side one are a great example of track layout.
    Its worth looking up 'Classics', which are re-recordings of a lot of stuff with later line ups, the hidden last track is 'Blown' which is one of my favourites.
    Another great modern one is 'Chinese Democracy' later renamed 'Destroy the War Machine', Kory beat Axl to the name, but had to change it. That is a great modern sounding rock record, check out '4th Reich' for a good video too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzShA84Lfw
  • Still yet to be bettered...

My first gig was From The Jam, aged 13 or so. I was a bass player within a week.

Foxton is the man.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    Two
    Stranglers and Squeeze.

I'll still hold Glenn Tilbrook is one of the finest musicians we've ever produced.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Dire Straits
    Ramones
    Sex Pistols

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    Loads but in the main:

Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    The Darkness
    REM (appreciate they're no longer with us)
    Third Eye Blind
    The National
    Zeppelin

I could list more, but Metallica are my all time faves, even though St Anger, Death Magnetic and Lulu tested my patience!

I cannot abide what Stephen Jenkins has done to 3EB. Their first two albums are masterpieces, and to a lesser extent Out of the Vein. But the beating heart that helped give the group its unique sound, Kevin Cadogan (one of the reasons I play guitar), being kicked out of the band for absolutely no reason was piss poor form, and they’ve not managed to capture what the first two albums bought with any of their recent stuff (imho, of course) 
    I agree 100 percent, but I still follow them and saw them play in London in 2013 as a result. Kevin is a genius and the Axl Rose isms of a certain Mr Jenkins have always pissed me off. Self Titled and Blue will always have a permanent place on my life's playlist. 
    Blue is absolute perfection from start to finish as far as I’m concerned. 

Out of the Vein is interesting to me, as some of the hooks and melodies are VERY KC-esque but he obviously has no writing credits. I’ve asked Kevin whether any of the songs contain any of his ideas, but he’s said he has never heard the album. But I’m convinced Jenkins has used ideas that may have come out of previous recording sessions (especially on things like Faster, Crystal Baller etc) 
    Out of the Vein is definitely a bridge between the Kevin and none Kevin eras, Tony's guitar playing is trying to ape him but isn't quite the same. It's heavier in places like My Hit And Run (which is a fave), but Good Man and stuff sounds very much like Cadogan demos etc. Sorely missed for me, if only Jenkins would sort himself out and realise how much he needed Kev's melodies and playing he'd be quids in. 

I should add Arion Salazar is a big chunk of their original sound too. The No Guitar Is Safe podcast with Kev is great at explaining his tunings and playing style. 
    Yea, great podcast. Agreed re: Arion too. 

I'm listening to Disorder now and it's really not grabbing me at all :( 
    Yeah it's weird, it's such a great song (the original) that they can't ruin it yet they've added this strange optimism that's completely missing from the Joy Division one. Suppose it's a virtue of being a West coast pop rock band maybe! 

Still can't help but think it's Jenkins cashing in on the state of things at the mo too.

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    The Chameleons - naturally!

Others include:
    • The Jam
    • Sex Pistols
    • The Stone Roses
    • Xray Spex - lyrically superb
    • Arctic Monkeys (but only their first two albums) - again its the lyrics 
    • Cud
    • The Beatles
    • Small Faces
    We are all Chameleons...
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    TonyR said:
    The Chameleons - naturally!

I considered The Chams, but for me, their debut LP was perfect, and then the next two albums were not quite as good as the previous. And I'm not keen on the reformation LPs, if I'm honest.

What made them really special to me was the music that Dave and Reg wrote. Once Mark had learnt to play guitar and was writing more of the music, something of that magic was lost, IMO.

If there's a better debut LP than Script, I haven't heard it.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • The smiths, and then solo Morrissey. Not a day has gone by in past 20 years I’ve not listened to something Stephen or Johnny have been involved with, although I favour Boorer/White as better riff writers 
  • shoodursshoodurs Frets: 35
    Genesis... As soon as I heard them I loved them and been a huge fan now for 42 years.
    The Police.
    Beatles.
    RATM.
    And more recently... Lamb Of God.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Cardi B.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Boz Scaggs   -  Perfect mix of Blues ,Soul and Rock
    Doobie Brothers  - Southern Rock at it's finest
    Level 42  - perfectly in sync with their era and very musical 
    Earth Wind and Fire - Funk /Soul at it's best
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Steve Vai
    Dream Theater
    Counting Crows
    King's X
    Radiohead

My 5 main ones
  • Sick Of It All. 

First heard them in 94 when scratch the surface came out. Been listening to them ever since. I must have seen them 4 million times and they always put on the best show ever.