Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favorite Scottish Bands?

What's Hot

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited September 2020
    As usual thread quickly turns into 'list as many Scottish born artists as you can'...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    StefB said:
    As usual thread quickly turns into 'list as many Scottish born artists as you can'...
    In that case... 

Rod Stewart.  ;)
  • StefB said:
    Good point...here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_musicians

All done...next! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited September 2020
    StefB said:
    Genuine question. How else can it be defined?

Annie Lennox hasn’t been mentioned yet I don’t think. Amy MacDonald and KT Tunstall as well.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    edited September 2020
    Scot(t) Gorham
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020
    andyp said:
    StefB said:

Annie Lennox hasn’t been mentioned yet I don’t think. Amy MacDonald and KT Tunstall as well.
    The title of the thread is Favorite (sic) Scottish Bands.

Are Lewis Capaldi, Mark Knopfler & Annie Lennox really anyone on here's favourite Scottish bands?  Or are they just being listed as examples of Scottish born artists no-one else in the thread has yet mentioned?
  • Josef K, Shop Assistants, Orange Juice, Aztec Camera, The Pastels.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    StefB said:
    andyp said:
    StefB said:

The title of the thread is Favorite (sic) Scottish Bands.

Are Lewis Capaldi, Mark Knopfler & Annie Lennox really anyone on here's favourite Scottish bands?  Or are they just being listed as examples of Scottish born artists no-one else in the thread has yet mentioned?
    Until this thread, I didn't know Knopfler was Scottish. I've learned something I didn't know before.

It's all good. 
    edited September 2020
    Kilgore said:

Until this thread, I didn't know Knopfler was Scottish. I've learned something I didn't know before.

It's all good. 
    Everyday is a school day :-)

But as I say, he's been listed purely because he was born in Glasgow and not in response to the theme of the thread.

You could ask a thousand people to list their ten favourite Scottish bands and not a single one would include Mark Knopfler if they stuck to the question's brief.

My original comment was to highlight how quickly threads veer off topic and thus become irrelevant.  Exact same thing happened with the Best British Bands ever thread.
  • sandyp said:
    StefB said:

I mentioned KT in passing, as she's not a band I didn't think she counted for the purpose of the Discussion. 

Lennox was in The Tourists but apart from her I don't think any of the rest were Scottish. 

However, if throwing around individual artists I didn't mind a bit of Finley Quaye ( who I think went a bit underground after a conviction for assault?). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • None !

• Lennox was in The Tourists but apart from her I don't think any of the rest were Scottish. 
    Similarly, I always thought Ultravox* were scottish (due to Midge obviously) but they were a London band.

* guilty pleasure of mine
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    edited September 2020
    For me there's Frightened Rabbit, and then way below them is literally everyone else.

Edit: except Mogwai. Forgot about them, they are also god tier. :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    edited September 2020

I tried to make a case for AC/DC on the Best British Bands thread, so I'll try again here.

Anyone mentioned Heavy Pettin? 

The Almighty.  Holocaust. 

I've got to mention the late great Jimmy Dewar from the Robin Trower band.

Phil Campbell
    Presumably the bloke from The Temperance Movement, not the ex-Motorhead guitarist?
  • Have we had a bit of Altered Images yet? 

Interesting reading how they started as a group of Banshees fans and their first gigs were supporting them. You can really hear the influence.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Bay City Rollers
    Thin Lizzie (Brian Robertson)

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KoaKoa Frets: 120
    This compilation came out recently, from memory I think there may have been a film released around the same time?

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/big-gold-dreams-a-story-of-scottish-independent-music-1977-1989-5cd-boxset/
  • Not a band, but Alasdair Roberts is the best ballad singer the folk revival has ever produced IMO. And he is definitely properly 100 percent Scottish. And a fine guitarist to boot.
  • Rocker said:
    Bay City Rollers
    Thin Lizzie (Brian Robertson)

I think we are bit by bit over different Discussions making the claim that Thin Lizzy came from most corners of the world. Formed by three Irish guys one of whom was born in England but of Guianan descent. The band also featured English, Scottish ( Roberston and Ure) and American musicians at different times as well as a chap from Belfast on and off. I'm sure I'm missing a Russian or Polish connection somewhere... 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    edited September 2020
    Philly_Q said:

I tried to make a case for AC/DC on the Best British Bands thread, so I'll try again here.

Anyone mentioned Heavy Pettin? 

The Almighty.  Holocaust. 

I've got to mention the late great Jimmy Dewar from the Robin Trower band.

Phil Campbell
    Presumably the bloke from The Temperance Movement, not the ex-Motorhead guitarist?
    As I said at the time, AC/DC have a bagpipe solo in 'It's a Long Way to the Top", and therefore are indelibly, indisputably Scottish. 

Angus is called Angus. 

He is also very short, smokes a lot and probably has hairy little legs, so how much more Scottish can you get? 

Big Country are brilliant and always sadly overlooked in my book. If "Chance" is not one of the best songs ever written on Scottish soil then I'm a...er...Scotsman. 

And if we're going for solo artistes, can I give an honourable mention to another sadly overlooked performer- taken from us far too soon- Jackie Leven. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom