Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favorite Scottish Bands?

What's Hot

Comments

• AllyAlly Frets: 64
    Too many bands to mention: Scotland has amazing talent. 

The Delgados!!!
    Amazing music and amazing record lable. Done much to further good music in general. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My favourite Scottish bands are -

Josef K
    Cocteau Twins
    The Skids
    Teenage Fanclub
    The Vaselines
    and er...Texas
  • Most of the ones I was thinking of have already been mentioned but there was a band called Whiteout that had a few really good songs out on the mid 90s. 
  • scrumhalf said:
    Ooh, I forgot one:
    • Irn Maiden
    No?

Didn't they do a cover of Quo's "Bru For You"? 
    You’re getting Irn Maiden mixed up with renowned jazz trumpeter Miles McDavis, whose concept album ‘Bitches Bru’ was the first and finest example of jazz-jock fusion. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    Redlester said:
    You’re getting Irn Maiden mixed up with renowned jazz trumpeter Miles McDavis, whose concept album ‘Bitches Bru’ was the first and finest example of jazz-jock fusion. 
    It's funny, I saw him referred to as "Miles Davies" several times on the recent Hendrix thread and thought he must be Welsh.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Redlester said:
    It's funny, I saw him referred to as "Miles Davies" several times on the recent Hendrix thread and thought he must be Welsh.
    @Philly_Q Miles Davies was indeed a Welsh trumpeter, whose fusion of welsh folk tunes and modal explorations was widely praised on his groundbreaking late 50s disc, the legendary “Cymru Blue”. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2585
    77ric said:
    I actually can’t believe I actually forgot the best band I have ever seen live. Better than the kings of Leon or the foo fighters or even simple minds ( by the way have they been mentioned). 

The 

Johnny

live in the 13th Note (glasford street), seen Bis in there too possibly on the same night, before the move to Ingram street. 
    I was going to mention them! Impossible to describe The Johnny 7 if you've never seen them. Tam Martin aka Pat Mabongo was a good pal back in the day. Jim Brady aka Rick Flik is a man of many bands including The Rezillos, Nanobots and Barky, Barky. He also used to be one of the main men in Merchant City Music when it was round from 13th Note, Glassford St (and had a studio downstairs where we recorded our album).

Bis were part of the 13th Note scene along with bands like The Yummy Fur, Lung Leg and Uretsy Usera. Mogwai were just coming through. Great place to hang out in the early 90s.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    ewal said:
    77ric said:
    I actually can’t believe I actually forgot the best band I have ever seen live. Better than the kings of Leon or the foo fighters or even simple minds ( by the way have they been mentioned). 

The 

Johnny

live in the 13th Note (glasford street), seen Bis in there too possibly on the same night, before the move to Ingram street. 
    I was going to mention them! Impossible to describe The Johnny 7 if you've never seen them. Tam Martin aka Pat Mabongo was a good pal back in the day. Jim Brady aka Rick Flik is a man of many bands including The Rezillos, Nanobots and Barky, Barky. He also used to be one of the main men in Merchant City Music when it was round from 13th Note, Glassford St (and had a studio downstairs where we recorded our album).

Bis were part of the 13th Note scene along with bands like The Yummy Fur, Lung Leg and Uretsy Usera. Mogwai were just coming through. Great place to hang out in the early 90s.
    I do miss the 13th note, was a great place for a pint of Guinness, a vegan bacon roll, great music and a chilled atmosphere. It was never the same after they split the bar and venue and moved (just spotted my mistake in my post) down to Stockwell street and Clyde street. 

samba covers? probably about as close I can describe them and probably no where near a good description.
  • my favourites. 

Aereogramme. Criminally underrated, should have been massive.

The twilight sad

Desalvo, members of idlewild doing heavy stuff. 

Take a worm for a walk week. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2585
    my favourites. 

The twilight sad

The Desalvo drummer - Richie - is a good pal of mine, and was in a couple of bands with me. The energy he brings to any of his music is amazing
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Cuddly Shark
    Biffy Clyro
    Frightened Rabbit
    Mogwai
    The Twilight Sad

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Loads, 3 that spring to mind

Biffy
    Hipsway
    Love and Money
  • The Wynntown Marshals. 
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Beta band.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    The Amazing Snakeheads. 

One of the best gigs I’ve ever been too as well. Their one and only album (before the singer died) Amphetamine Ballads is fantastic. 
  • The Moonpigs were one of my favourites from mid-90s Glasgow, plus the blues scenes guys like the Nimmos and Big George, Rollin’ Joe and the jets and so on.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    The Moonpigs were one of my favourites from mid-90s Glasgow, plus the blues scenes guys like the Nimmos and Big George, Rollin’ Joe and the jets and so on.
    Nobles Bar in Leith was a great place to catch some of the blues guys in Edinburgh. Radiotones featuring the fabulous Dave Acari were a highlight if you liked your blues on the trashy, punky, rockabilly side. 
  • ewal said:
    my favourites. 

The twilight sad

The Desalvo drummer - Richie - is a good pal of mine, and was in a couple of bands with me. The energy he brings to any of his music is amazing
    Nice!! I’ve seen them a couple of times P6 is an incredible frontman, scary as fuck like! I saw them play in a small bar in Sheffield, I knew what was going to happen but the look on people’s faces when he came out of the toilets in his butcher apron and pig nose! 
  • yockyyocky Frets: 810
    Primal Scream
    Beta Band
    Teenage Fanclub 

and Urusei Yatsura, who've disappeared so far from view that I often doubt if they actually existed. 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6079
    ICBM said:
    Also probably worth mentioning Goodbye Mr. Mackenzie, and Angelfish - but only because Garbage don't count :).
    Good call...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F23SoNYjEwI