New Rick Beato Gibson Signature

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @tabano Right there, my friend, you have hit the proverbial nail on it's very head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    No idea who the dude is, but the guitar looks nice.

Having a signature/connection to a specific artist actually really puts me off a guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited April 2021
    I just don't get why people get so worked up over who has signature models. Usually they can offer something cool and unique that doesn't go into a standard production model, like the Epi JJN. The guitar I'm most excited about from NAMM this year is the Matt Heafy signature - I'm pretty indifferent on Trivium but would happily play that guitar as it seems to be a well thought out modern LP Custom.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    I think it’s largely jealousy. 

Making a YouTube video is something literally anyone can do. But it’s easier to slate those that do rather than do oneself. 

I’d never buy a Rick Beato signature guitar, either. 

In fact I’d never buy a signature guitar full stop other than possibly a Jem (I’ve already had one to be fair). Simply because Jems have become very fucking cool and they’re great guitars in their own right. Signature model or not. 

Having a guitar and having to explain to someone when asked what model it is...

Yeah, it’s a YouTuber. He and Gibson did a signature model. But it’s ok. It’s just like a such and such etc etc. Blah. Yammer. 

If you have to explain what something is, it’s very difficult for it to be “cool”. 

I don’t get it at all. 

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1860
    I generally like him, and he’s done some great videos, and he obviously knows his onions, but I have observed a few shitty comments from him on YouTube (as above) which I find pretty astonishing. 

Now maybe I just don’t have enough theoretical knowledge to appreciate them, but I find his “quick lesson” clips on Instagram a bit condescending. It’s usually some hideously complex theory that I cant believe most players would realistically use, or even understand, which is then demonstrated by playing some bizarre chords, finished off with some technical shredding. I see it as more of a “look at me, aren’t I brilliant” than a lesson. 
    I find the same thing with almost every guitar channel on youtube,with a few notable exceptions. For example Tim Pierce seems like a hell of a nice guy as well as being a brilliant musician but I dont want to listen to his five minute intros as I expect him to be that good. I'd be stunned if he wasn't that brilliant given his achievements. So much of it is self indulgent rather than helpful,in my view.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    And say what you like about the guy but back in the day he did that widdly widdly solo on Jackson’s Beato It.
    And that’s an atonal classic.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I’m not interested who’s sig it is really, if I like it I get one, ..I’ve followed Rick for years and he’s a great source of information, however does anyone really need a signature guitar ......?.....to me it’s simple marketing tool by Gibson....Peter Thorn Suhr ?.....I like Pete, ...I like the Suhr guitar.....but it makes no difference to me that they are connected 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    The fact this thread exists suggests Gibson have succeeded. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    I like signature guitars that are unique models from the brand. The PRS Silver Sky is just that, it's not a stock PRS with some artist tweaks it's a whole new design for a PRS, unique in the lineup.

Isn't a Gibson Les Paul the ultimate signature guitar? 

• Aside from the sig issue, it looks like a really cool guitar.

Same as the Lukas Nelson sig junior. I'm not a fan of his music, but it was a great spec guitar that I should have bought. I plan to not miss this one as Gibson hasn't done a mid priced (£1000-1500 which I assume/hope this will be?) double cut in a while. There are only tributes and then CS.

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1860
    Even John Robson,nice guy and youtube guitarist channel,seems to have a signature model guitar. If I wasnt using youtube looking at these types of channels in particular I'd never have heard of him. I don't think his following is that large though.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Commercial organisations have to sell products. Reaching and influencing your target market is a key component in the strategy of achieving this. Despite the fact that I couldn't give a toss about this guitar or association other potential buyers may and in that case Gibson will achieve its objective of increased sales. It's just business and business has to adapt or die. It's very easy to think that this is a modern phenomenon but it's as old as commerce; it just takes different forms in different times..

I've enjoyed some of Rick's stuff but like lots of YouTube content I don't bother any more as I'd rather do other things with my time.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    prowla said:
    I quite like his videos, but if you'd asked me two list 100 people likely to have a signature instrument, he wouldn't have been on it.
    Marty Schwartz will be getting one next lol
    That guy is stealing a living.
    How so ?