Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA Repair Shop, BBC1

What's Hot

Comments

• Nah, your post was quoted by coincidence rather than anything else. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I don't dislike it it because I have no life experience or empathy, I dislike it because it's made as if it's an hour long trailer for a show which never arrives. 

When I see an expert opening up a piece of 1950s electronic equipment to diagnose a fault I don't want them to cut away to something else every ten seconds. 

I build engines, I weld stuff, I machine things, I build circuit boards, I mend almost everything around the house, I paint things, I do all my own guitar and amp mods.

I crave detail and this show should be right up my street, but it's shallow, short attention span fluff. 

I know it's television, but the genuinely moving stories are cheapened because they ALL have to have a moving story.

I get it, it's primetime, and us "nerds" (ie, useful people) don't expect to be catered to at the expense of the human interest angle, but when that angle is so vastly overplayed to the detriment of the experts and the viewers who are actually interested in the process, the whole thing just falls flat. 

Not everything has to have X-Factor dead granny stories all the bloody time, maybe ditch that Blades guy whoever the hell he is and get James May to present it, it can be done properly. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    No repair shop tonight. What did you guys do lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11303
    It broke. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Watched an incredibly boring game of football with a happy ending
    thegummy said:
    I won't ask what your happy ending was ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Masterchef... No choice, Our Maud loves it.

Nitefly said:

I can’t stand masterchef. No real reason I can think of really. Let’s start a thread on it lol 
    Nitefly said:

I can’t stand masterchef. No real reason I can think of really. Let’s start a thread on it lol 
    Go right ahead, I got enough grief from this one lol!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Nitefly said:

If you want a reason, pretentious food where looks is more important than having enough to fill you up.

John Torrode is annoying as well.  Not Piers Morgan annoying, but annoying enough I don't want to watch him.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    I won't ask what your happy ending was ;)
    lol not as happy as you're thinking unfortunately!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    p90fool said:
    I don't dislike it it because I have no life experience or empathy, I dislike it because it's made as if it's an hour long trailer for a show which never arrives. 

When I see an expert opening up a piece of 1950s electronic equipment to diagnose a fault I don't want them to cut away to something else every ten seconds. 

I build engines, I weld stuff, I machine things, I build circuit boards, I mend almost everything around the house, I paint things, I do all my own guitar and amp mods.

I crave detail and this show should be right up my street, but it's shallow, short attention span fluff. 

I know it's television, but the genuinely moving stories are cheapened because they ALL have to have a moving story.

I get it, it's primetime, and us "nerds" (ie, useful people) don't expect to be catered to at the expense of the human interest angle, but when that angle is so vastly overplayed to the detriment of the experts and the viewers who are actually interested in the process, the whole thing just falls flat. 

Not everything has to have X-Factor dead granny stories all the bloody time, maybe ditch that Blades guy whoever the hell he is and get James May to present it, it can be done properly. 

I get what you are saying. I am in the same boat. I am a nerd. I like the detail.

But - we are in the minority and such a show would never be made because nobody (other than a tiny number like us) would watch it and importantly for channels away from the Beeb... nobody would buy advertising to pay for it.

Thats where Youtube comes in. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    edited March 2021
    Nitefly said:

I can: gob almighty Greg Wallace. He’s the cooking show equivalent of Jay Blades, all mouth and very little talent. I’ve no idea how he managed to become an expert judge on a cookery program, AFAIK he just owned a greengrocery business before.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Nitefly said:
    Nitefly said:

Go right ahead, I got enough grief from this one lol!

When it was restarted ( I vaguely remember the Lloyd Grosmman version) it was on for half an hour early evening. Bit of nonsense TV whilst you had a cup of tea, vaguely follow what was going on. When it became later evening with hour, half and half long episodes it just became tedious. The Professionals version is a bit more back to basics so I’ll watch that if it's on. 

boogieman said:
    Nitefly said:

I can: gob almighty Greg Wallace. He’s the cooking show equivalent of Jay Blades, all mouth and very little talent. I’ve no idea how he managed to become an expert judge on a cookery program, AFAIK he just owned a greengrocery business before.
    I used to regularly listen to his Radio 4 show which I liked at the time but it was based on a cheeky chappy greengrocer persona ( I think his company supplied restaurants rather than just being a barrow on the market) which does get a bit hard work after a while.    

Jay Blades, meanwhile, was terrible on House of Games although the worst ever performance/ just there until they get paid award will probably go to Patsy Kensit after this week. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    @EricTheWeary I don't know why she's there.  I don't think she knows why she's there - she doesn't seem to have any grasp of what the games are about...

*edit* apparently she's blaming her agent!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Nitefly said:
    @EricTheWeary I don't know why she's there.  I don't think she knows why she's there - she doesn't seem to have any grasp of what the games are about...

*edit* apparently she's blaming her agent!

At the end of the show where she scored zero, she did say she was going to kill her agent.

She does come across as a bit vacuous.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I was looking at the twitter feed for House of Games on tuesday and her agency posted something like  'we are proud to represent Patsy...' and people saying are you sure about that, she has just threatened to kill you. Although any agency that can find work for anyone as spaced out as Patsy must be pretty dammed good.  

Although last night she did buzz in and answer a question, I've never been so gripped by the performance of a minor celebrity on a tea time quiz show.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11303
    There's obviously a whole load of programmes that can be made out of domestic tasks.

Why stop at cooking? We can have Master Hooverer, Duvet Cover Changing Champ, Pro-Celebrity Window Cleaning and many more mundane tasks converted to an entertainment format. Therre is no shortage of gormless "celebrities" who can host and appear in these things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22877
    edited March 2021
    I was looking at the twitter feed for House of Games on tuesday and her agency posted something like  'we are proud to represent Patsy...' and people saying are you sure about that, she has just threatened to kill you. Although any agency that can find work for anyone as spaced out as Patsy must be pretty dammed good.  

Although last night she did buzz in and answer a question, I've never been so gripped by the performance of a minor celebrity on a tea time quiz show.  

I've been watching last week's episodes on iPlayer, I might need to binge-watch to catch up to this week. 

I know Nihal's on it, he's been going on about it on his radio show (as did Colin Murray last week).

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    crunchman said:

She does come across as a bit vacuous.
    Probably a key ingredient if you’re daft enough to get married to Liam Gallagher.