Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA Repair Shop, BBC1

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4174
    edited March 2021
    Here's the thing - and apologies if someone else already made the point, I was losing the will to live a bit - but fixing stuff is now on prime-time telly. There must be someone watching it or the Beeb wouldn't bother. So the upshot is enough people care to watch a show in which knowledgable people mend stuff with skill and care.

Last year my dishwasher went on the fritz. Annoyed me no end - not particularly because I'm tight or on my backside for cash, but because I had to take a cubic metre of largely non-recyclable material and fuck it into a hole in the ground.

The problem, I suspect, was a fiver's worth of PCB - the temp sender checked ok, the heating element showed continuity, it was pumping water in and out.

I despair of a society in which this routinely happens - the poxy thing was only about three years old. If we can take baby steps by engaging folk into a mindset where things are worth repairing then it's OK with me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    What amazes me (trivia fans) is that Masterchef was invented by Franc Roddam - yes, the Director of Quadrophenia...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    What amazes me (trivia fans) is that Masterchef was invented by Franc Roddam - yes, the Director of Quadrophenia...
    And writer of Auf Wiedersehen Pet.
    crunchman said:
    Nitefly said:
    @EricTheWeary I don't know why she's there.  I don't think she knows why she's there - she doesn't seem to have any grasp of what the games are about...

*edit* apparently she's blaming her agent!

At the end of the show where she scored zero, she did say she was going to kill her agent.

She does come across as a bit vacuous.
    I was looking at the twitter feed for House of Games on tuesday and her agency posted something like  'we are proud to represent Patsy...' and people saying are you sure about that, she has just threatened to kill you. Although any agency that can find work for anyone as spaced out as Patsy must be pretty dammed good.  

Although last night she did buzz in and answer a question, I've never been so gripped by the performance of a minor celebrity on a tea time quiz show.  

Well that made for uncomfortable viewing, although I didn't think Patsy was much more cringey than Ronni Ancona the week before, constantly whining that she wasn't doing as well as she thought she ought to.

Good close competition this week though.  I was pleased who won.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    https://i.imgur.com/pPwitFm.jpg

Someone has updated Patsy’s Wikipedia. 

Yes Ronni was pretty annoying although Sally Phillips was on so I was busy sighing. I also remember from much earlier John Thomson who scored okay but tried to make the entire thing about him. 
    There’s a story about Anne Diamond being on there, James Acaster won the first two episodes and she, apparently, berated him behind the scenes for showing off. James stopped trying as hard and Anne won the next episode.
    Angelica Bell completely patronising Scarlett Moffatt because she obviously thought she was thick then Scarlett won the week and Angelica looked pissed off. 
    For something that’s basically TV fluff it is quite a test of character. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Philly_Q said:
    crunchman said:
    Nitefly said:
    @EricTheWeary I don't know why she's there.  I don't think she knows why she's there - she doesn't seem to have any grasp of what the games are about...

*edit* apparently she's blaming her agent!

At the end of the show where she scored zero, she did say she was going to kill her agent.

She does come across as a bit vacuous.
    I was looking at the twitter feed for House of Games on tuesday and her agency posted something like  'we are proud to represent Patsy...' and people saying are you sure about that, she has just threatened to kill you. Although any agency that can find work for anyone as spaced out as Patsy must be pretty dammed good.  

Although last night she did buzz in and answer a question, I've never been so gripped by the performance of a minor celebrity on a tea time quiz show.  

Well that made for uncomfortable viewing, although I didn't think Patsy was much more cringey than Ronni Ancona the week before, constantly whining that she wasn't doing as well as she thought she ought to.

Good close competition this week though.  I was pleased who won.
    Ancona is someone on TV whom I hate more than anyone else. It's to the point that even though I love QI, I just have to skip any episodes she's on.

But I really love House of Games so was going to have to put up with her for a week and admittedly she wasn't as bad as she has been on other things but I was glad she did so terribly. She started getting really annoying towards the end though - when they announced the winner she butt in to talk yet more about her doing badly even though it was the winner's turn to take the spotlight.
    edited March 2021
    Yes Ronni was pretty annoying although Sally Phillips was on so I was busy sighing. I also remember from much earlier John Thomson who scored okay but tried to make the entire thing about him. 
    There’s a story about Anne Diamond being on there, James Acaster won the first two episodes and she, apparently, berated him behind the scenes for showing off. James stopped trying as hard and Anne won the next episode.
    Angelica Bell completely patronising Scarlett Moffatt because she obviously thought she was thick then Scarlett won the week and Angelica looked pissed off. 
    For something that’s basically TV fluff it is quite a test of character. 

I like Sally Phillips as well.  She's sort of posh and mumsy but so attractive....

I don't always watch the programme but I have seen all the ones you've mentioned.  It does change the way you view people, you get a glimpse of their real character - and intelligence - which is never apparent in their usual TV persona.  It makes me respect people I thought were idiots and puts me off people I thought I liked!

I was at my brother's house when Scarlett Moffatt was on.  We started out being a bit condescending towards her (him more than me, he hates all reality TV except Masterchef).  By the end of the week we were cheering her on.  Well done. (I do still like Angellica Bell, although she didn't come across very well.)

thegummy said:
    Ancona is someone on TV whom I hate more than anyone else. It's to the point that even though I love QI, I just have to skip any episodes she's on.

But I really love House of Games so was going to have to put up with her for a week and admittedly she wasn't as bad as she has been on other things but I was glad she did so terribly. She started getting really annoying towards the end though - when they announced the winner she butt in to talk yet more about her doing badly even though it was the winner's turn to take the spotlight.
    I've always quite liked Ronni Ancona in the past, but I've seen her on a couple of game shows recently and she's become extremely irritating.  Maybe, like Patsy Kensit, she shouldn't do this kind of thing....
    Surprised to hear someone disliking Sally Phillips I've always really liked her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    thegummy said:
    Surprised to hear someone disliking Sally Phillips I've always really liked her.
    Who said they disliked her?
    thegummy said:
    Surprised to hear someone disliking Sally Phillips I've always really liked her
    My sighing when she's on TV is not a sign of dislike.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    thegummy said:
    I took Eric's sighing at her presence to be a sign of dislike but apparently not so I don't know what it means then.
    thegummy said:
    Philly_Q said:
    thegummy said:
    I took Eric's sighing at her presence to be a sign of dislike but apparently not so I don't know what it means then.
    A mixture of sadness that Sally and I aren't together and general heavy breathing. 

I suspect her religious beliefs might mean our comparability is limited so just a brief passionate affair would have to do.

I guess sigh is open to interpretation. 

[ are we still in the Guitar section with this?]
    thegummy said:
    Philly_Q said:
    thegummy said:
    A mixture of sadness that Sally and I aren't together and general heavy breathing. 

I suspect her religious beliefs might mean our comparability is limited so just a brief passionate affair would have to do.

What are her religious beliefs?

I'll be surprised if she isn't atheist
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    thegummy said:

...I really love House of Games...

Wasn't expecting to ever hear that.
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    Philly_Q said:
    thegummy said:

What are her religious beliefs?

I'll be surprised if she isn't atheist
    She is some kind of born again Christian and she does weddings and funerals kind of stuff. I have heard her mention it in passing in interviews so eventually she would get fed up of my heathen ways. 
    It probably makes a brief passionate affair less likely to happen as well but I don't like to think about that. 

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    Just for the record, there is actually a queue with regard to Sally Phillips...

Not sure where I am placed, but I have been waiting in line since her Alan Partridge days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    LOL I've thought more than once about moving it to OT, @EricTheWeary , but I decided against because there may be some folk posting who wouldn't normally go there.  

The outlook isn't promising though...

In 2017 Patsy Kensit starred in an ITV series about the life of Bobby Moore as Bobby’s mother in law. In 2021 on House of Games she didn’t know who Bobby Moore was. I understand that we all have gaps in our general knowledge but FFS. 
    In 2017 Patsy Kensit starred in an ITV series about the life of Bobby Moore as Bobby’s mother in law. In 2021 on House of Games she didn’t know who Bobby Moore was. I understand that we all have gaps in our general knowledge but FFS. 
    But then on the small handful of questions she did answer, I was quite surprised - they seemed to be some of the more difficult ones.  Maybe her mind is generally a deep fog but occasionally things randomly float to the surface. 

The whole panel were fairly weak this week, but even then Patsy never seemed in danger of getting even a third place.
    Philly_Q said:
    But then on the small handful of questions she did answer, I was quite surprised - they seemed to be some of the more difficult ones.  Maybe her mind is generally a deep fog but occasionally things randomly float to the surface. 

The whole panel were fairly weak this week, but even then Patsy never seemed in danger of getting even a third place.
    Yes, there was one I think was an anagram of truffle oils (?) which no one else got and I didn’t get and whoosh Patsy got it. Yet she didn’t know Bobbie Moore or Pinkie and Perkie. Or how to use a buzzer most of the time.