Potential break away European super football league

What's Hot

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Gassage said:
    jpfamps said:
    I assumed it may be something like that, but I wasn't 100% sure.

1) Regardless, I assume there have been no legal cases relating to restraint of trade. Is that correct?

Also, are the RFU allowing selection of players who play in Wales?
    1) None. It's made pretty clear to those that go. Also worth pointing out that the RFU also subsidise EPS players for time away so they pay the PRL Clubs, but that arrangement is ring fenced to the PRL only.

2) Thankfully there are none at the moment but yes, as long as they are available for EPS- which effectively means that the Welsh Club would be penalised as they don't get the RFU subsidy.

As an aside- the last player to be selected for England  that I can recall when contracted to a Welsh club was (remarkably) Sam Underhill- he debuted in Argentina in 2017 as an Osprey but joined Bath officially 3 weeks later.
    Wasn't he at Cardiff University at the time?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    DREAMS CAN'T BE BUY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    jpfamps said:
    Gassage said:
    jpfamps said:
    I assumed it may be something like that, but I wasn't 100% sure.

1) Regardless, I assume there have been no legal cases relating to restraint of trade. Is that correct?

Also, are the RFU allowing selection of players who play in Wales?
    1) None. It's made pretty clear to those that go. Also worth pointing out that the RFU also subsidise EPS players for time away so they pay the PRL Clubs, but that arrangement is ring fenced to the PRL only.

2) Thankfully there are none at the moment but yes, as long as they are available for EPS- which effectively means that the Welsh Club would be penalised as they don't get the RFU subsidy.

As an aside- the last player to be selected for England  that I can recall when contracted to a Welsh club was (remarkably) Sam Underhill- he debuted in Argentina in 2017 as an Osprey but joined Bath officially 3 weeks later.
    Wasn't he at Cardiff University at the time?

Yep- but he signed a 3 yr deal for Ospreys after his FC debut and Eng U18 (Glaws)- Made his senior debut at 18 which is unusual for a back rower....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Apparently there is allowance that they would invite a few teams every season to play in this super league and I think they actually used the word INVITE, not qualify.

What does that mean? What if this team they invited do a Leicester City and beat them all and win? Would the 12 founding teams throw the toys out of the pram and not invite that team anymore?

Technically they could since these 12 teams make the rules, it means the entire competition a farce when the teams are not there on merit.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    I pretty much stopped watch champions league and Europeans football years ago when they changed them from knockout comps. It’s the same teams every year. For me was far more enjoyable when you had teams like Aberdeen and Middlesbrough getting a decent run and sneaking their way to a final, that’s what football is all about. Watching Real Madrid play PSG AGAIN holds no pleasure for me, 

fuck the ESL , closed shop. watching the so called “ big “ teams ( how the fuck have Spurs managed to get in there? ) play each other week on week on week just diluted the whole thing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9760
    As a West Brom fan I quickly checked the table to see what kind of difference a 25 point deduction would make to Arsenal's position, unfortunately not enough to save us!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    I know nothing about football and don’t watch it, but I do have a question.
    Those clubs have been offered a LOT of money for something that is, in essence, a different format of a Champions League. 

Surely the potential earnings are similar for both formats, so who is pocketing the difference? Would many people accept to have to put in all the work for someone else to take the lion share of the profits? 

I can see that the clubs may be perceived as greedy, but surely UEFA is milking it right now.

Maybe naive but would like to know more about the details, as I can’t do the emotional thing since I am not interested in the sport.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited April 2021
    Currently UEFA is milking it but then UEFA put money back into grassroots football in Europe, not sure how much but they do, teams getting into Europe on merit gets money, the further you get, the more you get, they organise the European championships etc.  This new league, these 12 clubs will control the entire pot and pocket it amongst themselves.  And they pick and choose who else joins their little party.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Steffo said:
    Those clubs have been offered a LOT of money for something that is, in essence, a different format of a Champions League. 

Surely the potential earnings are similar for both formats, so who is pocketing the difference? Would many people accept to have to put in all the work for someone else to take the lion share of the profits? 

I can see that the clubs may be perceived as greedy, but surely UEFA is milking it right now.

Maybe naive but would like to know more about the details, as I can’t do the emotional thing since I am not interested in the sport.
    There is the plan for UEFA to change the CL format for even more games ie more money for themselves. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10242
    Haha fuck off Liverpool. 
    Steffo said:

A key feature is a lack of relegation, ie guaranteed revenue.

Also the clubs will want to have more control of TV revenue.

They would love to have their games televised worldwide as pay-per-view, and eliminating what are perceived as unfashionable (and hence less marketable) teams (eg Southampton, Burnley, Brighton, Norwich etc), will maximize revenues.

The can't do this in the Premier League, nor in the Champions League.

Steffo said:

There is the plan for UEFA to change the CL format for even more games ie more money for themselves. 
    There apparently are also plans for a world club championship too.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22163
    jpfamps said:
    scrumhalf said:
    All those who talk of bans, fines and demotions should read about the litigation that followed the banning of England cricketers after they signed for Kerry Packer.

The national FAs cannot just do as they please. And if there's enough money to give the clubs a golden hello of a bazillion quid there will be enough money for some weighty lawsuits.

I still think that this is a power play for a revised Champions League, coupled with a slimming down of the Prem to 18 clubs and then 16.

The litigation post Packer was brought by individuals and related to restraint of trade; it was not brought by teams.

As far as I am aware this did not result in Packer contracted players playing international cricket.

Furthermore, the rebel cricket tours to South Africa resulted in substantial international bans that were not successfully challenged legally.

The RFU has a policy of not selecting players who play overseas.

Also pertinent to remember far more recent events with the Indian Cricket League and the banning of players. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Talking of cricket, maybe Boris can step in and do something about the Hundred while he's in this kind of mood.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14291
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Talking of cricket, maybe Boris can step in and do something about the Hundred while he's in this kind of mood.
    I don't know why they had to invent a new version of T20 - I'm sure they could bowl the extra 20 deliveries if required - But at least the franchise set-up is done with the support of the ECB, to bring in additional revenue, to support the test team and county cricket - Many test players will not be part of the 100 set-up, but it can run along side, as per Big Bash
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14291
    tFB Trader
    See what happens today after the PL meeting - And further UEFA meetings

Gary Neville speaks so much good for the game - Sky talk from 'un-named' board/executives that the clubs are only after profit/growth - They are not worried about any bad PR - Many board/executives not consulted and not in agreement - Hard for players at such clubs with existing contracts to do to much about it at this stage - James Milner verbal protest last night is a nice token gesture, but his LFC career is nearly over, so no need to worry the boss 

Klopp has so much credibility, rightly so, with the LFC fans - Of the 6 English clubs he probably has more of a voice at the moment than the others, maybe with the exception of Pep - IMO he should support his previous comments and resign 

The owners of the big 6 have not yet made any credible statement - I feel it is their duty to say something - We might not agree with them about it and they will off course defend their choice - But as yet they have said nothing and I don't see why they should be handing down any 'official statement' to an employed walking suit - They should make a statement 

Yes the PL would be weaker without the big 6 - If that happens - But it will survive - Not sure how credible the PL will remain with the big 6 in it, with no need to push for a top CL place - In fact, again an un-named executive, stated that they would put out a weaker side in a PL match than the new super league - And the USA owners would prefer no players going off on international duty - No international matches for the USA franchise models - So for the elite clubs in the PL it will end up with a similar credibility as per the FA Cup - IMO they should be banned from the PL if the super league goes ahead as a half way house is not good for anyone

But how much credibility will the new super league have for the likes of Spurs and Arsenal when on current form, they will become the equivalent of a Fulham and Brighton operating at the lower end of the table  - What fun will you LFC and MUFC fans have when the PL match has a weakened team, yet the new super league match will be played in some fancy USA stadium as a showcase event - In 100 degrees and to warm to offer a decent performance

Good to see all sides in Parliament supporting each other - Talk of windfall tax, no working permits for overseas players, as required, no alcohol licences for the match and corporate events, no licencing for matches + police etc etc - If required they can make this very tough - But let the football authorities do their bit first

Football is a results business - Jose was sacked yesterday for lack of results - Yet the new super league is not a result business it is a closed shop, for the elite clubs, that's sole purpose it to grow and protect their existing assets
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    Hattigol said:
    Questions:

Q. Will they go through with this if the Premier League (and other European Leagues) throw these clubs out? And if the FA of each country bans them from other domestic competition?

Surely not. 

RIP Football.

Quite intrigued by this as I assume that existing TV deals are based on the current league structure. You remove this top 6 from the PL and it leaves a massive gap - especially in the overseas markets where  these teams have cultivated huge fan bases.

Would TV providers really pay for multi billion deals with all of the current big names missing?

The ramifications of that would be massive across all tiers of the league.
    Surely the 6 teams can't afford to leave the PL, this new idea is just some extra cash, not the main income stream
    I can't see the PL throwing them out, I'd assume the teams will back down after being threatened
    Will be great to find out if we have any managers with integrity - Let's see Pep and Klopp walk away - They can afford it - Head held high and many of the fans would endorse their stance - Both can get a job elsewhere as required 

Hard for players with existing contracts to do to much - But maybe somewhat farcical but still a statement - They get on the pitch and effectively don't play for the balance of this season inc cup matches - E Germany + W Germany did this, was it 1974, albeit a different reason - Again make a stance and many players can then remember where they came from - ie lower leagues at junior level etc 
    how much legal power do FIFA and EUFA have? 
    How much could bans comply with employment law? Surely employment law would stop bans?

scrumhalf said:
    All those who talk of bans, fines and demotions should read about the litigation that followed the banning of England cricketers after they signed for Kerry Packer.

The national FAs cannot just do as they please. And if there's enough money to give the clubs a golden hello of a bazillion quid there will be enough money for some weighty lawsuits.

I still think that this is a power play for a revised Champions League, coupled with a slimming down of the Prem to 18 clubs and then 16.
    That's an interesting comparison

World Series Cricket - Wikipedia

Justice Slade in his judgment said that professional cricketers need to make a living and the ICC should not stand in their way just because its own interests might be damaged. He said the ICC might have stretched the concept of loyalty too far. Players could not be criticized for entering the contracts in secrecy as the main authorities would deny the players the opportunity to enjoy the advantages offered by WSC.

The decision was a blow to the cricket authorities and, adding insult to injury, they had to pay court costs. English County cricket teams were pleased as their players who had signed to play for Packer were still eligible to play for them.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189

What fun will you LFC and MUFC fans have when the PL match has a weakened team, yet the new super league match will be played in some fancy USA stadium as a showcase event - In 100 degrees and to warm to offer a decent performance

Easy answer, Mark. I will no longer be a United fan.

And what's more, I'd spend the rest of my days berating anyone who continued to support them or any of the other clubs who, if they carry on with these intentions, will permanently wreck the entire footballing network and write off over a century of heritage and history.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom