Ebay £1 deals, gone?

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited April 2021
    Wow. The end of an era. I sold so much stuff in the last six months all on £1 final value fees. 

It’s almost like they’ve now teased you over with the new payment system and just got rid of the great offers that made you sell there.

Oh well, they’ve shown their true colours there. They know what people were doing and they want to get rid of that. 

But on the other hand 2% fees is still an okay amount tbh. On £1000 if you would have paid £100 you’re now only paying £20. It’s not bad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    edited April 2021

But on the other hand 2% fees is still an okay amount tbh. On £1000 if you would have paid £100 you’re now only paying £20. It’s not bad. 
    To be precise (or pedantic   ), with the 80% discount, the fee on a £1K item will be £25.90 (£25.60 + 30p). 

However, if your buyer pays by Paypal then presumably you also pay a PP fee of £29.30* on the £1K sale price (or a little more with whatever the shipping cost is)....correct?

So if I've got this right, on a normal (non discount) sale of £1K where the buyer uses Paypal you'd be charged £157.60 in total fees from both Ebay and PP - that's a healthy % of your sale to give up 

*based on Paypal Fee Calculator
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    No, eBay pays the PayPal fees, it's all built in to the new fee structure.

And yes it looks like £1 FVF deals are gone, they'll be costing eBay money.

Okay. So how does that work then?
    As I understand it, normally Paypal take their fee when money comes into your account, unless the sender selects that you're a trusted person.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    I wouldn't declare the £1 fees dead yet - I got one two weeks ago, but I also got the 80% offer today. Over the past couple years I have also received strange offers in between £1 FVF weekends... they are obviously experimenting - but £1 weekends would always come around again.

My advice would be don't take them up - and do take them up when/if they do £1 listings.

AlbertC said:

Okay. So how does that work then?
    As I understand it, normally Paypal take their fee when money comes into your account, unless the sender selects that you're a trusted person.
    Under the new fee structure you no longer get paid via PayPal, eBay pays money into your current account directly. Buyers can still pay with PP - they pay into an eBay central account, then eBay pays you, minus fees about 2 days later.
    edited April 2021
    @whitecat Ah, thanks for explaining that...
    Though that 2 day delay is a bit of a pain if you're having to wait to send items off
    AlbertC said:
    Though that 2 day delay is a bit of a pain if you're having to wait to send items off
    They tell you to send things right away - they guarantee you will get paid. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I’ve just got an 80% off selling fees offer... not had that one before.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Whitecat said:
    I wouldn't declare the £1 fees dead yet - I got one two weeks ago, but I also got the 80% offer today. Over the past couple years I have also received strange offers in between £1 FVF weekends... they are obviously experimenting - but £1 weekends would always come around again.

My advice would be don't take them up - and do take them up when/if they do £1 listings.
    Exactly this - the £1 final value fees will come back eventually when eBay realise sales are down.  It's like going to Pizza Express without a voucher, no-one does it anymore.

eBay used to experiment with different deals quite often, a £3 FVF being commonplace too until fairly recently.

Hold your water unless needing to sell something urgently, the £1 option will return.  Or start pricing your goods to take account of higher fees, like everyone else does...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    I honestly doubt we'll see £1 back with managed payments. As @SteveRobinson has said, it would be costing eBay money if they are absorbing the fee that Paypal will inevitably still pay, hence the 80% off the 12.8% fee, coming to about 2.6% may actually work out even better than £1+Paypal Fees.
    edited April 2021
    I honestly doubt we'll see £1 back with managed payments. As @SteveRobinson has said, it would be costing eBay money if they are absorbing the fee that Paypal will inevitably still pay, hence the 80% off the 12.8% fee, coming to about 2.6% may actually work out even better than £1+Paypal Fees.
    Again, I've had a few £1 offers even since being on the managed payments system. 

They will consider it a loss leader to get more listings and thus to get more people shopping on the site. People don't always buy the thing they first land on from the search engine... and also you can bet they've negotiated a rate with PayPal that is likely unavailable to mortals.

If you are selling low value stuff then the 80% off offer is a much better deal for sure though. But for guitars, amps etc...
    AlbertC said:
    Just send it. You will get the money. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    With this new confusion on fees and the new Trustly nonsense for bank account linkage, Ebay can't push this all through via inertia. So they must be expecting quite a slow-down in listings.

Which may mean it's a good time to list stuff at bumped-up prices, of course...

I'm uneasy with it, so I will limit myself to buying on Ebay for a while, so all my crap hot and exciting deals will be on tFB Classifieds.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4156
    I only sell when it’s £1 final value fee so that sucks 
  • A I ideas of how the 80% discount fee  will work in relation to an item being collected and paid for by bank transfer ? 

. I have been offered a £1000 for a guitar, the buyer said he will pay by bank transfer outside of the eBay system once he has won the item on  ebay. 

A I ideas of how the 80% discount fee  will work in relation to an item being collected and paid for by bank transfer ? 

. I have been offered a £1000 for a guitar, the buyer said he will pay by bank transfer outside of the eBay system once he has won the item on  ebay. 

Ebay will bill you the full fee (- 80% of course). 

Sadly the previous savings enjoyed by cash-on-collection deals (PayPal fee avoidance) are history once you’re on the new system. 
    Whitecat said:
    A I ideas of how the 80% discount fee  will work in relation to an item being collected and paid for by bank transfer ? 

Sadly the previous savings enjoyed by cash-on-collection deals (PayPal fee avoidance) are history once you’re on the new system. 
    Well, you can still do cash on collection can’t you? So you’re still avoiding PayPal, and the fees are still 10% so it’s really the same thing isn’t it? 
    edited May 2021
    Whitecat said:

Well, you can still do cash on collection can’t you? So you’re still avoiding PayPal, and the fees are still 10% so it’s really the same thing isn’t it? 
    Not under the new system. Ebay no longer pays sellers via PayPal, they pay direct to your bank account - buyers can still pay with it if they want (they pay into a central ebay account and eBay pays you separately) - but their fees are now flat (ie, no separate FVF & transaction fee) - so you pay that flat fee no matter what. 
  • Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:

Not under the new system. Ebay no longer pays sellers via PayPal, they pay direct to your bank account - buyers can still pay with it if they want (they pay into a central ebay account and eBay pays you separately) - but their fees are now flat (ie, no separate FVF & transaction fee) - so you pay that flat fee no matter what. 
    So it does not make a difference if its cash, PayPal, bank transfer (outside of eBay system) all will incur the same costs? '

I normally knock the PayPal fees off the sale price if they pay by any other method but I guess can't now. 

Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:

So it does not make a difference if its cash, PayPal, bank transfer (outside of eBay system) all will incur the same costs? '

I normally knock the PayPal fees off the sale price if they pay by any other method but I guess can't now. 

Yes, same fee no matter what.