Kenn Gordon guitars - anyone know anything?

What's Hot

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2166
    Ah. Boston. Murder capital of the U.K. Only 20 mins from me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited June 2016
    miserneil;1113681" said:
    Where do I start???
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    miserneil;1113681" said:
    Where do I start???
    The beginning?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It is not so much that I have kept a low profile (quite the reverse really)I started making guitars when I lived in the Highlands of Scotland way back in 1968. I joined the RAF in 1972 and whilst touring the globe I still made guitars Mostly for myself and close friends. Then after 9 years with the Military I moved back up to Helmsdale in the highlands of Scotland. and continued to make guitars for myself and friends. Then I Moved to Lincoln in 1985 (I worked in Lincolns best known Kebab Shop Chez Radwan) But also Busked on the Streets of of Lincoln (I used to be that Cowboy dressed all in Black that used to stand next to the Fish boat in the Market Square) and in my spare time I still made guitars and Did Gigs at night (Radwan was very understanding and would let me have time off to go and Gig) I then Sold my Bungalow in Lincoln and Moved to Bridlington where I bought a Hotel (Crescent House Hotel, Windsor Crescent) I used the Top floor of the hotel as a workshop, where I would make guitars and I also did the repairs for Steves Music Shop. I still went Busking but playing Electronic Harp. I also Gigged at Night as Kallen (Ken Gordon & Alan Hutchinson) Then the recession hit and I sold the Hotel and Moved to Thorne. Where I played in Cactus Creek and Raven (Both Country Bands) I continued to make Guitars for myself and friends. And Ran a small shop from home along with Making Flight Cases and also Speaker Cabs. I also did work at Bayou Recording Studios. After working 18-20 hour days trying to my all my business ventures work I became ill and went into early retirement. A couple of years Later I moved back to Lincoln and Worked in several Country and Irish Bands. I still made and restored Guitars for Friends and Family. I also went back to work for Radwan (Chez Radwan so anyone who has lived in lincoln all their life and is over 40 years of age will know who I am) I still made and repaired Guitars and did a lot of work with my Irish Rebel Band 1916. Through my own fault my Marriage failed and I moved to Boston. and Took on a real Job at Pilgrim Frozen Foods, Then I worked for The Boston Dental Centre as The Dental Laboratory Manager. Until redundancy. Then I went back to restoring old guitars in My collection. Some one came around one day a few years ago and said "Why dont you make guitars for sale???" I had never really considered this as it was always a Families and Friends thing. (Or if you wish a serious Hobby) I have read Many folks talking about the pricing structure of my guitars. First I know the Quality of the build of my guitars is Good, and I know the Quality of finish on my guitars is beyond good (Fred Shail who paints my guitars is Ex Aston Martin and owns Boston Auto Body repairs) The electrics which for the past few years I have had custom work done by (Simon Warman of Warman Guitars UK) and the even More complex stuff done by (Mark Seddon of Oxbow Guitars UK) so Pricing structure in most walks of Life is based around the Hourly working persons rate of pay. If you take your guitar to a Music shop to have some work done on it they will charge you £25ph + parts. I dont use CNC Cutting Machines so all my bodies are shaped by hand. I have not made many Guitars over the Last 45+ years. More than 100 but less than 200 I would say. I actually get about £2-£3ph for my work If as in one instance I spent 18 months making a single guitar Hand carved Arch Top and Arch Back all solid woods This guitar which is so much better quality than a Factory produce guitar and Those are not my own words but words of my customers Is it then worth less because no one knows its name???.  I dont think so lets take a Guild Full Bodied Jazz Box they cost £6,000-£7,000 and have pretty basic hardware. along with laminate back and sides and a carved spruce top. My equivalent  guitar which has all solid carved woods Top/Back/Sides/three piece hidden dovetail set neck/Ebony fingerboard and the absolute Top end Hardware also sells at £6,000 But I spent 18 months making this one guitar working all the time I could on it and my hourly rate £2-£3ph.) Lutherie is a Dying craft with many real guitar makers turning to the use of CNC Machines simply because they can not make a living when Customers keep saying "Well I can buy a Gibson for that money" Of course you can and it will be 1 of 100,000 and not made with the best quality woods (in fact if you want a Gibson with quality woods then buy a Fake Chinese one and change the hardware) as in China they still use Good maple/Good Mahogany/Good Ebony and it will be made using a CNC machine where the plank goes in at one end and a dozen bodies all perfectly cut pop out the other end.) Luthiers do NOT WANT to use CNC but if they want to make a living they have too. I am pretty much retired and have just a few guitars to make over the next few years So I dont worry about if I can make a living. and I dont really care if folks have heard of me or not. BUT you should support all these up and coming young luthiers who you have also NOT heard of.
    I never wanted to be a Brand Name I never even set out to have a brand name. If you are interested in my latest build then message me kenn.gordon@yahoo.com and I can send you pictures of the build from the planks of wood all the way to the finished Guitar. My website is not Mobile phone friendly (as I am not great at website building) There are I believe several Luthier website that list UK Luthiers where I am sure you will find my name But most of you will not have heard of my name because I dont make many guitars and most of the guitars I have made were for family and friends across the globe. My guitars sell from £750 new for simple models to £7,000 for the more complex models. It all comes down to Time/Materials/Hardware with some of my guitars having £1500+ spent on Hardware. I am not in it for the Money Even if to some the prices would seem that I am. There are Kit Builders Out there who Buy a finished Body/Finished Neck/Loaded Pickguard and then sell their guitars for £1,000-£5000. I make My own bodies and Neck and Fingerboards and with the exception of 1 Guitar all my guitars have set necks. I just thought I would try and answer some of the questions raised about me 
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27578
    Wow!

That's some introduction post @salach_or!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    More like an endurance test than an intro post .
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    I played a ken Gordon semi acoustic guitar in frailers last.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    salach_or said:
    a CNC machine where the plank goes in at one end and a dozen bodies all perfectly cut pop out the other end.
    That sounds ace - if anyone made such a thing it'd be amazing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16691
    Good post.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Almost anyone who has a guitar and Facebook has heard of you @salach_or don't be so modest you little scamp :) 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Welcome to the forum man. :)

sounds like you have a ton of knowledge about guitars. @salach_or ;
    edited August 2016
    Sarge said:
    Almost anyone who has a guitar and Facebook has heard of you @salach_or don't be so modest you little scamp  
    They certainly have,  and most the people I know including myself hugely negative, the guy will try to swindle you on any trade, that's from experience,.... Sorry. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have NEVER swindles anyone Have you owned one of my builds?  anyone is welcome to come and see the guitars and have a cup of coffee you dont even have to buy . I would seriously like to know how I have "Swindled you" as for my Prices They depend on how long I take to make a guitar and the hardware that is used. As for selling OTHER BRANDS Used or NEW I sell with prices that I feel they are worth. "The Most of the people" that you refer to have they been customers of mine???? I would be interested to know what Customer was NOT happy with a Guitar that they have bought from me as I have not received a single complaint about ANY guitar that I have sold over the last 45 years or so. This kind of public flaming without a shred of evidence does not help anyone. Can you say which guitar you bought from me and your real name I use my real name and was welcomed to this place by other folks who were interested in my works. And I am ALWAYS happy to talk to Guitarists about any guitar I am selling (or buying) I just do not understand why the moderator of this page would allow this kind of personal attack on my character. Kenn Gordon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PS excuse my typos 

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited October 2016 tFB Trader
     I am not in it for the Money Even if to some the prices would seem that I am. There are Kit Builders Out there who Buy a finished Body/Finished Neck/Loaded Pickguard and then sell their guitars for £1,000-£5000. I make My own bodies and Neck and Fingerboards and with the exception of 1 Guitar all my guitars have set necks. I just thought I would try and answer some of the questions raised about me 
    I couldn't  agree more, i said virtually the same thing not long ago about kit builders, like you I make from scratch but with no name I can't charge what I consider average money yet despite anyone who picks up and plays mine gives the same reaction
    Fantastic usually 

I only make set necks too btw, what was interesting we were at the guitar show Sunday, I make under Daniels guitars 

A guy played my set neck strat, we had 2 types one hard tail and one term both made of limba
    I said set neck has better sustain while having the strat tone, he said he didn't think it mattered then after playing it he said ok I'm convinced

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • I bought a “blackbird” off Mr Gordon last year. In my opinion I managed to get an absolute bargain in an eBay auction. Craftsmanship is sublime. This guitar was made in ‘83, if I’m not mistaken. You’d swear it was made yesterday if you didn’t know better. Warman humbucker, Shift 2001 trem. Very versatile guitar considering it only has one pick up. Beautiful guitar. I have quite a large collection. PRS, fender, gibson, Ibanez, to name a few. This guitar is as good or better than all of them. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• *sigh*

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3323
    edited February 2018
    Welcome to the forum Mr Gordo.....oh I’m  sorry I mean badbaz. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom