Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Trent Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    Lovely guitars - and furniture, just followed you on Insta. I'm a furniture maker too, only dabbled in guitar making, looking forward to making more when time allows! Your guitar has a nod to the Diego Vila guitars too, which I love. Really nice job! Hope it goes well 
    Thank you! Wow I love his work too, very kind comparison!

Yeah, I really haven fallen in love with making them!

DiscoStu said:
    Much win, Elliott!
    Great offset shape, nice colours, and a not-ridiculous-yet-new headstock.
    I really like the headstock colour swatch image on your site, that's a great marketing pic. I'd like to see pics of the guitars in those colours too, or some sort of mock-up when you select your options, but that can come in time.
    Good luck from a fellow (former) cabinet maker and (occasional) guitar builder.

Thank you! I’m so pleased with all the headstock feedback as I feel it can make of break a guitar.

Yeah the headstock swatch is a cheaper solution than forking out the material cost and tone each time for sure. I would love to be able to show more of them complete but I think it will be limited to each time someone orders one. 

I’m considering offering them at a discount to you guys, I already have a rate in mind for professional musicians which I’d be happy to extend. I’m not convinced the price it’s what’s holding up sales though - I think what you guys are looking for is a seal of approval from someone impartial? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 309
    It's a really nice design. The headstock actually reminds me of a Peavey Predator but looks good on the instrument and as you say it can make or break a guitar. Overall the instrument looks 'right', the reasons for which are hard to put your finger on!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    uksaint7 said:
    It's a really nice design. The headstock actually reminds me of a Peavey Predator but looks good on the instrument and as you say it can make or break a guitar. Overall the instrument looks 'right', the reasons for which are hard to put your finger on!
    I got more of an ESP Strat headstock vibe. Either way, it works.
    edited June 2021 tFB Trader
    I have an early image back from Feb, I was going for something more geometric but as you can see in the lower one I softened it off, then with slightly more softening I was where I am now

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222

I’m considering offering them at a discount to you guys, I already have a rate in mind for professional musicians which I’d be happy to extend. I’m not convinced the price it’s what’s holding up sales though - I think what you guys are looking for is a seal of approval from someone impartial? 
    It’s possibly the lack of opportunity to try them (we are all so picky about neck shapes), once guitar shows start up again I’d be very surprised if they didn’t sell quite quickly. In fact, I’d put money on them selling at such a rate that you have to put prices up to slow sales.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 158
    Put it this way, I am sorely, sorely tempted to sell my Gretsch for one. I think they look fantastic and I love the custom options! Genuinely well done. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Still blown away by how great the reception has been, so thank you so much guys. I have a thread over in the made in the UK section if youd like to see more pics as I go!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/207981/trent-guitars-from-the-workshop#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I think the forum needs to buy more UK-made guitars - I have x2 and I'm very happy with both - They feel classy.

Nice to see yellow and orange as on option on the Trents.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    Schnozz said:
    I think the forum needs to buy more UK-made guitars
    I couldn’t agree more.

One of my hopes/ambitions when we originally set up the forum was that it should be a platform or channel for the various small UK builders & businesses (hence the Made in the UK section). Give them an opportunity to engage directly with their market, gather (informed) feedback, and help counteract the massive marketing budgets of the majors.  Regrettably, limitations of the forum software stopped us from implementing some of the ideas, but I think the @TrentGuitars experience demonstrates some of the potential.

Schnozz said:
    I have x2 and I'm very happy with both
    I’ve got 20-odd, though probably half of them have come out of my own workshop!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021 tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Schnozz said:
    I think the forum needs to buy more UK-made guitars
    I couldn’t agree more.

One of my hopes/ambitions when we originally set up the forum was that it should be a platform or channel for the various small UK builders & businesses (hence the Made in the UK section). Give them an opportunity to engage directly with their market, gather (informed) feedback, and help counteract the massive marketing budgets of the majors.  Regrettably, limitations of the forum software stopped us from implementing some of the ideas, but I think the @TrentGuitars experience demonstrates some of the potential.

Schnozz said:
    I have x2 and I'm very happy with both
    I’ve got 20-odd, though probably half of them have come out of my own workshop!
    I have to say the support from the admin staff and from the forum as a whole really has cemented that this is where I went to take my life. It’s not just a side project, it may take time to become profitable enough for me to give up making furniture but that is the dream - and I feel really confident it will happen!

(sneak peak from the workshop thread)

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 713
    Vaguely reminiscent of a Musicman Mariposa. Looks great! Will be interested to hear some feedback from the likes of @DrCornelius .
    tFB Trader
    Benm39 said:
    Vaguely reminiscent of a Musicman Mariposa. Looks great! Will be interested to hear some feedback from the likes of @DrCornelius .
    Thank you! The Mariposa was a big influence from the mainstream brands. 
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 713
    I prefer the look of yours as to my mind the mariposa is a little bit too jarringly angular (even though I love the St Vincent shape)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited June 2021
    Latecomer to the party: that's a cool looking guitar.  My immediate thought was that it looks as if the Musicman Albert Lee designers had been let loose in their angular fashion on a Jazzmaster.  Great new take on an old classic.  Looking forward to hearing the reviews once you've enticed someone down to sunny Poole D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    Latecomer to the party: that's a cool looking guitar.  My immediate thought was that it looks as if the Musicman Albert Lee designers had been let loose in their angular fashion on a Jazzmaster.  Great new take on an old classic.  Looking forward to hearing the reviews once you've enticed someone down to sunny Poole D 
    Thanks again, I cant wait to have some out in the wild!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    These look great.

A nod to classic design but also its own thing - that's hard to pull off. Well done! 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3877
    Love offset and these look great. Well done.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 362
    Generally I’m not a fan of offsets but what you’ve done with your design is really pleasing on the eye. Excellent work on the headstock too. 
    Hope it works out for you. I’ll start saving the pennies! 
    tFB Trader
    In lieu of not having made all of the colours I did do these mockups in photoshop of all the stock colour options, 

Here's a link to an Imgur gallery rather than flooding this page! These arnt all the combinations and only have the cream plastics, but it gives you a good idea!

https://imgur.com/a/v5IIxS8

This is one of my personal favourites from the album...

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Funkydung!Funkydung! Frets: 32
    Why don’t you try and let the fretboard community pass one around without shipping? Like someone near picks it up then who ever is near to them picks up and so on? Then you will get a varied review by different  players?