Rum and coke…

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11934
    DiscoStu said:
    What Appleton should I get then? I haven't tried them before but can get Signature or Special in the supermarket. 
    Appleton has a naming strategy that Gibson & Fender would be proud of 
    Special is the basic one, but still decent, the Signature is the best overall flavour/value for money that they produce IMO. The 8 & 12 Year olds are a bit better but have a price premium, so I'd say start at the bottom & work up the range.
    I have some 21YO that I got for the price of the V/X in a shop mixup that they let me keep  It's very nice & more of a dark style, but there are loads of others around for a lot less that are at least as good.
    Edit: I should say that I usually drink my rum neat or with just a few drops of water to open up the flavour. For cocktails I can't see the point of using good sipping rum to be swamped.
    I had about 30 rums in stock at one point
    I had a whole range from one maker at different ages, and the oldest ones weren't as good IMHO

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    (Info was true when I went about 15 years ago)
    It's worth knowing that Caribbean countries have a trading bloc, and don't charge duty on each other's produce.
    therefore, in Barbados, the rums that were £25 here were just £8 in the supermarkets there

If you ever get to Barbados, check out the big supermarkets, they have massive ranges of rum. Don't buy at the airport!
    Some favourites

Ron Barcardi 7 years old
    Angostura 1919

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3983
    My dad once accidentally asked the bar tender at a wedding for a cum and roke.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    ICBM said:
    Any love for Mount Gay?
    Very much - it's my favourite rum. Imagine my horror when I asked for some in a bar and was brought some mixed with coke...

I did try tasting it before I sent it back. Vile.
    I don't know why some bar staff can't grasp the concept of, in this case rum, neat. I always ask for neat rum; no coke, no ice, no nothing. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24408
    I'm currently working my way through a bottle of this.

It's very nice, and very strong.
  • I'm currently working my way through a bottle of this.

Do you mean strong as in cloying/toffee/sticky tasting? I dislike rums that have that, some navy style rums have that quality.

I do like a good sweet rum, but I don't love it when they taste cloying. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18831
    ^ I read it as strong referring to the higher than usual alcohol content (54%).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3581
    I've run out of rum. 

Oh, the humanity....!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    Deadman said:
    One of my best mates is Jamaican and he bought me a bottle of Appleton Estate last Christmas. Best rum I’ve ever had.
    Which one? 
    Steve. You know, the tall one. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24408
    I'm currently working my way through a bottle of this.

Do you mean strong as in cloying/toffee/sticky tasting? I dislike rums that have that, some navy style rums have that quality.

I do like a good sweet rum, but I don't love it when they taste cloying. 
    No, as in it’s 54%
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Nitefly said:
    I've been hearing good things about Black Tears Cuban rum - anyone tried it?

Nobody?

• starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited July 2021
    @Nitefly ;Never tried that one. 
    There are a few short reviews on MoM https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/the-island-rum-company/black-tears-spiced-rum/

Sounds interesting, hints of chili and chocolate.
    edited July 2021
    @Nitefly ;;Never tried that one. 
    There are a few short reviews on MoM https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/the-island-rum-company/black-tears-spiced-rum/

Interesting, @starwarsnosebleed , thank you - I saw it mentioned in a recipe for a Cable Car cocktail. 

Never really been a rum fan beyond the odd rum and blackcurrant in winter to fend off a cold/feel sorry for myself  but might try a bottle of this next time I'm up at Byrne's.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18831
    Nitefly said:

Interesting, @starwarsnosebleed , thank you - I saw it mentioned in a recipe for a Cable Car cocktail. 

Never really been a rum fan beyond the odd rum and blackcurrant in winter to fend off a cold/feel sorry for myself  but might try a bottle of this next time I'm up at Byrne's.

I haven't tried Black Tears either, nor had I heard of the Cable Car cocktail, so looked it up. 
    Almost all the recipes mention using Captain Morgans Spiced rum, so that could save you a fair bit unless you are set on trying Black Tears, in which case enjoy it & let us know what it was like. :)  
    Nitefly said:

I haven't tried Black Tears either, nor had I heard of the Cable Car cocktail, so looked it up. 
    Almost all the recipes mention using Captain Morgans Spiced rum, so that could save you a fair bit unless you are set on trying Black Tears, in which case enjoy it & let us know what it was like. :)  
    Cheers, @Kittyfrisk - that recipe was in a magazine, about 2 pages away from a full-page ad for Black Tears  ;) Possibly those things are connected!

I'll keep you posted if I do it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Opened a bottle of El Dorado 12 years last night....blooming lovely. 
  • Whiskey has taken my interest over the last 18 months but I could absolutely murder a rum when the weather is as hot as it has been recently.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Today is iced coffee and "port of Bristol - honey rum" 

Big pot of coffee chilled over night. Tumbler with some but not loads of ice. Bout 1third rum. 

The sweetness of the honey balances the bitter off the coffee. Refreshing as fak.