What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• I took Walkers up on their Movie Night offer and rented

Going Out In Style (2017)

and then yesterday, I saw one I've never heard of before, but liked the trailer of;

SuperBob (2015)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2017
    Sheena and I were supposed to see Thor Ragnorak. Sadly, I took the girls instead. Am I getting old? Or drowning in sorrow? I found it to be "all over the shop" - too much going on, no real depth or meaning, too much "humour" (I like them more serious - the original was ok but now it's a joke). Highly disappointed, 3/10.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Dug out the directors cut of Blade Runner this afternoon. My wife had never seen it. She fell asleep. Heathen.  

It still works really well and hasn't really dated apart from the clunky looking computer graphics. Actually, it's still way better than the sequel. Rutger Hauer is simply superb.  
  • Atomic Blonde.

Disappointed with that one.
    Great scenography of 90's Berlin - the vibe and tense atmosphere is there... Music is superb.
    Unfortunately Theron's performance was mediocre and the whole dynamics of the movie was quite boring. The whole intrigue you could figure out within first 15mins - good watch but I won't remember that next week.

3/10
  • Got through Red Tails in three sittings. I wouldn’t say it was a terrible film and there’s a lot that’s technically well made about it but I found it a bit hard to engage with.  Bit of a Robert Johnson song in it if you didn’t blink. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Got through Red Tails in three sittings. I wouldn’t say it was a terrible film and there’s a lot that’s technically well made about it but I found it a bit hard to engage with.  Bit of a Robert Johnson song in it if you didn’t blink. 
    I caught the end of that Saturday night after I got in from the blues gig...hot tomatoes wasn't it?

I do need to watch the the whole thing, I know it take a few liberties with the facts, but anything with P51 Mustangs is worth a watch. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thorougly enjoyed the new Murder on the Orient Express, Brannagh stole the show as Poirrot, class cast, class acting, fabulous sets and costumage.....I had it sussed who dunnit halfway in, not sure if the perp was different to other renderings as I have never seem them......8/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I caught the end of that Saturday night after I got in from the blues gig...hot tomatoes wasn't it?

I do need to watch the the whole thing, I know it take a few liberties with the facts, but anything with P51 Mustangs is worth a watch. 
    I think it’s tamales rather than tomatoes!
    The flight/ dog fight sequences are amazing at times but it’s an odd film. I guess it’s an ensemble movie and you never really care that much about any one of them in the end and it’s also this boy’s own adventure film with the stuff about race a bit shoe horned in. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22950
    I watched my last ever Lovefilm by Post rental DVD:

Absence of Light - a science fiction conspiracy thriller featuring cameo appearances from 70s/80s horror film icons Michael Berryman, David Hess, Tom Savini and Caroline Munro.

It was made in 2006 but looks like it was shot on a camcorder in the early 90s.  The "name" stars seem to be reciting lines they learned 30 seconds before, and they're clearly just wearing the street clothes they turned up in.  Fair play to them, the budget must have been next to nothing - the lead actor was also the assistant director and did the lighting, and his mum's house provided several of the locations.  And despite that, they were ambitious enough to include some CGI monsters and other FX. 

But it's one of the worst films I've ever seen.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Cast Away - the Tom Hanks one not the Amanda Donohoe one ;).

If you haven't seen it, it's basically Robinson Crusoe set in the modern world. I'd seen it before a long time ago but my wife hadn't.

Very good - the set-up is a bit tedious, but that's necessary to illustrate the banality of modern life and work, I think. When things go badly wrong for him it improves hugely - pretty believable and quite intense. The end is really well-done and makes you think about how separated we have become from the world before modern conveniences…

If I have a major criticism it's only that he probably doesn't really show enough physical and mental change from having spent that long living wild. But I think it's his best acting performance, even if not necessarily his best film.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paddingnton 2. 

Big sticky marmalade covered thumbs up from me and the kids. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Cast Away - the Tom Hanks one not the Amanda Donohoe one ;).

If you haven't seen it, it's basically Robinson Crusoe set in the modern world. I'd seen it before a long time ago but my wife hadn't.

Very good - the set-up is a bit tedious, but that's necessary to illustrate the banality of modern life and work, I think. When things go badly wrong for him it improves hugely - pretty believable and quite intense. The end is really well-done and makes you think about how separated we have become from the world before modern conveniences…

If I have a major criticism it's only that he probably doesn't really show enough physical and mental change from having spent that long living wild. But I think it's his best acting performance, even if not necessarily his best film.

8/10

Wilson!!!!!!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Went to see Murder on the Orient Express last night with Mrs T.  Was surprised at how good it was .  Very well filmed, great acting and directing from Mr Brannagh.  Stella cast.  Great mix of humour and seriousness.  Loved every minute of it and hope he goes on to do Death on the Nile.  

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Philly_Q said:
    I watched my last ever Lovefilm by Post rental DVD:

Absence of Light - a science fiction conspiracy thriller featuring cameo appearances from 70s/80s horror film icons Michael Berryman, David Hess, Tom Savini and Caroline Munro.

It was made in 2006 but looks like it was shot on a camcorder in the early 90s.  The "name" stars seem to be reciting lines they learned 30 seconds before, and they're clearly just wearing the street clothes they turned up in.  Fair play to them, the budget must have been next to nothing - the lead actor was also the assistant director and did the lighting, and his mum's house provided several of the locations.  And despite that, they were ambitious enough to include some CGI monsters and other FX. 

But it's one of the worst films I've ever seen.
    I thought Lovefilm by post had folded? 
    edited November 2017
    capo4th said:
    I thought Lovefilm by post had folded? 
    It ended on 31 October but fair play to them, they sent discs out until the very last day.  I returned two on the 30th and they sent the last two on the 31st.

I thought I might have to resort to streaming (not that I can, without high speed broadband) but I've now signed up to Cinema Paradiso.

https://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Sky Full package Netflix 4K and Amazon prime has me covered saved 7.99 a month. 

Blurays do provide a much much better soundtrack though
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    Went to see Paddington 2 this afternoon. Lots of fun; intelligent script with some great performances, particularly Brendan Gleeson and Hugh Grant. I’m not usually a fan of classic childrens books on screen but Paddington really captures the flavour and the animated Paddington is spot on - he looks and sounds much as I pictured him as a child.

There was the obligatory madcap chase scene, complete with unfeasible stunts but all done with humour and while the baddie got his just desserts, even he had a happy ending. Highly recommended.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Ice Sharks. Made the original Sharknado look like a groundbreaking oscar worthy cinematic masterpiece. 
    boogieman said:
    Ice Sharks. Made the original Sharknado look like a groundbreaking oscar worthy cinematic masterpiece. 
    Haven't seen that one, but Ghost Shark was pretty bad.  It has the (now grown up) kid from Stuart Little in it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I was hoping to post a review of Paddington 2 here, but when we got to the cinema we normally to go - which has been closed for a couple of months for "improvement"... they've converted the *whole thing* to "premier" seating, which I hate anyway - I found that since it's reduced the capacity of the cinema by about two thirds, for probably the first time I can remember there, the film was sold out.

Screw that. I don't think I'll bother going there again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom