What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• I loved Wonder Woman until the big, stupid 15-minute fight sequence that they very obviously let Zak Snyder have full control of. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited December 2017

Exposé about seaworld and what really goes on there. The attacks and killings on human trainers, and the inhumane treatment and killings of orcas.

I wouldn't say 'enjoyable', but definitely an important film to watch. You can watch it for £2.50 on youtube.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited December 2017
    Also watched birdman last night. Interesting fillum but can't say I enjoyed watching it very much except for the cool drums, but that just made me wish I was watching whiplash again instead. 6/10.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Needs a couple of viewings and was more relevant 25 / 30 years ago
  • capo4th said:
    Needs a couple of viewings and was more relevant 25 / 30 years ago
    You're thinking of condorman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Mine

A film about a soldier who escapes the local Taliban in the dessert and then stands on a land mine but doesn’t lift up his foot so it doesn’t actually go off. He is then glued to the landmine for a further 84 minutes. He receives a visit from a few wild dogs injests some LSD through dehydration and a few restless locals wind him up before eventually being rescued by his unit. 

Amazing film.......

Zzzzzzzzzzzz............
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Another wacky one from the director of The Lobster and Dogtooth. Disturbing from the start - even the 'nice' characters - and then made more bizarre by many inappropriately comic moments. Brilliantly acted by all (and I don't normally like Farrell). Whole audience was WTF-quiet at the end. 7/10
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Baby Driver, there was a lot of hype about this film, oh dear.......hammy, predicatable, boring....great soundtrack though and some occasional syncing of events to drumbeat, but its time I could have spent Hoovering my belly button....1/10 (being generous)
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Noah....we were browsing through the movies on Prime and gave it a go.

Not that convinced by the design of his ark, and he was a bit of a grumpy sod. A bit rubbish really.

The CGI rock creatures were a bit cheap looking as well.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    We were browsing through the free movies on Prime last night. Blimey the decent-to-shite ratio isn’t very high is it? Ended up watching Gone Girl, not bad at all. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    Death Note,a Netflix original film.

Bit of a gamble,but thought "hey,Shea Whigham's in it.He's usually good value".

I was wrong.Good start,promising premise, but got progressively shonky,to the point where I totally lost interest.

Based on a manga comic,apparently,based on the user reviewers losing their shit on IMDB.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930

I was wrong.Good start,promising premise, but got progressively shonky,to the point where I totally lost interest.

Based on a manga comic,apparently,based on the user reviewers losing their shit on IMDB.
    I haven't read the manga, but I've seen a couple of the Japanese films which are hampered by very low budgets.  I thought the US version was pretty good and well directed by Adam Wingard, but it just tried to cram too much into 100 minutes.  If you're making it for Netflix anyway, why not make it a mini-series or even something potentially long-running?
    Hitmans Bodyguard, totally formula stuff, only Samuel L can deliver "Motherfucker" and he does,....often. Great music, great action, utter bollocks, loved it! 9/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12389
    ddlooping;20803" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

ddlooping;20732" said:"Now you see me" - Preposterous from beginning to end, even if you're a fan of Dynamo (the magician).

My advice: don't see it.

my son is a bit if a Dynamo fan. Why is it so bad?

If your son is fairly young he might be able to suspend his belief for the whole movie but wouldn't have understood much of it.

If he's a bit grown up he might understand most of it but will laugh at what he's supposed to accept as facts. :)

P.S: if his name is dafuzz he'll find it very enjoyable (even if shallow and unbelievable). :D
    the 17 year old son. His pleasure in watching tv or film is to find fault so he might enjoy it then.

Bearing in mind this was from a magician I got talking too so may be some professional jealousy, apparently when this guy saw dynamo up close it was pretty poor and obvious stooges etc. Will avoid this film like the plague.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited December 2017

You should watch the original anime series it's really bloody good, and a lot better than the film(s). I think that's all on netflix, or it used to be anyway.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    Thanks @TTBZ ; I'll check it out.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Dunkirk, loved it, best film Ive seen for ages 9/10

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I've just watched a film about a tea bag.

It was a PG.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Some I've seen in the last few months:
    • Wonder woman - Not nearly as good as the reviews made out.
    • Train To Busan - Korean zombie horror - Pretty good overall.
    • Alan Partridge Alpha Papa - I was crying laughing. Excellent comedy - "Alan, yer a fecking eejit"
    • David Brent - Life on the road - I wish I turned it off half way through, a couple of funny moments but I felt depressed after watching it. 
    • Planet Terror - Loved it, completely OTT action/comedy/horror
    • The Three Amigos - Hadn't seen this film since the early 90's. Absolute classic, as funny as I remembered
    • The Lorax - This is a brilliant kids movie, my eldest one loves it and I quiet like it myself. The songs are so catchy, find myself humming them days later.
    • Alien Covenant - Bitterly disappointing TBH - The "twist" was so obvious from early in the movie that I found myself hoping as it went along they wouldn't go down that route, they did. I haven't given this a second watch and to be fair I liked Prometheus a lot more the second time I watched it so we'll see but on first viewing I thought this was a real dud.
    • Mindhorn - Very funny in parts, definitely recommend
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    I'm pleased to find I'm not the only one who liked A.I. :).
    It's very good, but all that Spielberg gooey sentimentality wouldn't have been there if Kubrick had made it.  I'm not sure if that's beneficial or detrimental... probably a bit of both.

It's made me think of Tomorrowland, a film with a few similar themes which similarly got bad reviews.  I really liked that.
    AI is great as long as you turn it off when it fades to black at the blue angel. The film ends there. The pointless shite at the end just undermines the brilliance that went before it. Would be one of Spielberg's best without it.