What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22949
    ICBM said:
    stickyfiddle said:

I suspect that, had I seen it as a student when it came out, I would have connected with it much better. But it just didn't quite click for me.
    I didn't see it until a few months ago, and I'm 50 :). I know what you mean about it not quite clicking, though - I've seen it mentioned more than once as one of the best films ever, and hilarious. I just thought it was quite good and mildly amusing.
    I saw it when it came out and haven't seen it again since, but as I recall it's about two horribly self-centred, self-pitying people who I didn't sympathise or empathise with in the slightest.  Their respective partners are portrayed negatively just as a lazy way of justifying the lead characters' selfish behaviour and the Japanese characters are all portrayed as childlike, hysterical imbeciles.

Sorry, rant over....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Skipped said:
    It Comes at Night (2017)

Tense and creepy. Rated 6.4 on IMDB. My rating is 7.5.  I would not call it a Horror film but it is hard sometimes choosing the genre. It has also given me a new idea to find films that I may have missed.
    I thought Joel Edgerton was terrific and believable in this film.
    So what else has he done?
    I am going to watch The Gift (2015) next.

Joel Egerton is excellent in everything he's done IMO  I enjoyed the gift. Hes really good in Warrior and that Whitey Bulger movie with Johnny Depp.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    edited September 2017
    The Handmaiden - 9/10.

An excellent Korean film made even better by the girl-on-girl action.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Re: Lost in Translation. I love it, but I don't find it particularly funny. The only really big laugh is when he's doing the advert, and the director has a really long sentence then the translator gives a one word answer. I just connect to the melancholic absurdity of it all, the incredible setting, the beautiful understated direction, and how fleeting the connection is. I love the open ending, I don't see it as a romantic thing at all. Bill Murray's character gets to connect to his youth and more successful past through Scarlet Johanssen's character, and she has an escape from her relationship. I do like films where you just live the characters' experience  for a time and you're left to imagine how their lives go from there on.

There's loads of things described as comedy I don't find funny but still really enjoy. The TV series Atlanta is one such thing. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    A Canterbury Tale (1944)
    Just a superb film. Brilliant on so many levels. It has humour in spades and the cinematography is sublime. The scene with the old wheelrights joshing a young Sylvia Sim and then talking about seasoning wood with the 'Yank' soldier is just cinema gold.
    A perfect film for a wet Sunday afternoon.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ''All is Lost'' (2013)

Robert Redford on a boat in the middle of Indian Ocean. Sounds like trouble? You betcha ;) 
    Very good despite mixed reviews. Reflexion about mortality, loneliness. I liked it. 
    7/10

''IT'' (2017)

Dark, well played, better than original but imho lacking the mystery feel.
    Very good regardless. 
    7/10
    ''All is Lost'' (2013)

Robert Redford on a boat in the middle of Indian Ocean. Sounds like trouble? You betcha ;) 
    Very good despite mixed reviews. Reflexion about mortality, loneliness. I liked it. 
    7/10

Did he manage to keep hold of his wig?
  • Philly_Q said:
    ''All is Lost'' (2013)

7/10

Did he manage to keep hold of his wig?
    Barely.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28390
    Robot Overlords.

Unchallenging but enjoyable. I might venture "romp". A solid 7.2 out of 9.3. Would watch again.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28390
    Re Lost In Translation, I didn't see it as a romcom. I enjoyed it; it's two lonely and slightly shallow people having a brief moment of lucidity about their lives and seeing it slip away again.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched a film called Una about a girl who had a relationship with an older man when she was 13.  Fifteen or so years later she tracks him down and confronts him.  Loads of twists and it doesn't play out how you think.  

8/10.  
  • Attack the Block

Brilliant. Not sure how I'd gone this long without seeing it. Almost every character is a horrible person at the beginning and you still end up rooting for them. Great stuff.

The East

Low-budget sci-ish-fi. Good enough for a plane-movie but nothing special. The twist at the end was exactly as expected.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Only just watched Legend - epic performances by T. Hardy!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Man on Wire - documentary about the guy who did the tightrope between the WTC twin towers in the '70s. Just him and a couple of friends dodging security to smuggle in and setup the wires.

I thought it would prove to be a duff choice by SWMBO, but it was fantastic. Like a heist movie and you totally get the mindset of the loon who did it. Once he'd imagined it, everything else was inferior. Completely logical madness.

Quite sobering to see the WTC towers in construction, see the red primer paint that would eventually be called "nano-thermite" by the conspracy loons. So the feat is somehow a beautiful, crazy one-off moment in time.

8/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Attack the Block

Brilliant. Not sure how I'd gone this long without seeing it. Almost every character is a horrible person at the beginning and you still end up rooting for them. Great stuff.

It's very good.  I can't believe Joe Cornish hasn't had an opportunity to direct anything since.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Attack the block was good, perfect example of how to make a little money go a long way.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Victoria and Abdul.

True(ish) story of the aging and lonely Queen Vic taking a shine to handsome young Indian chap.

A bit of a luvvie fest, Judi Dench is superb, Eddie Izzard is pretty hilarious, loads of other "oh look it's him" moments to pull you out of the film.

Very funny in places and yes a bit moving.

• Philly_Q said:
    Attack the Block

It's very good.  I can't believe Joe Cornish hasn't had an opportunity to direct anything since.
    Good news! He's apparently just signed up for "The Kid Who Would Be King", with Patrick Stewart playing Merlin

http://www.empireonline.com/people/patrick-stewart/patrick-stewart-rebecca-ferguson-part-joe-cornish-latest/
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Girl on the Train - hard watch at times but excellent. 8.1173/10 
    Passengers - Better than the reviews would have you believe but it's my sort of film. Ultimately slightly unsatisfying but good home telly fodder. 6.2859/10.
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 851
    edited October 2017
    Another browse through Amazon Prime last night and settled on "Empire of the Sun".

I saw this years and years ago but apart from the famous P-51 Mustang scene (the legendary Ray Hanna at the controls) I didn't really remember much of it, and it's bloody good.

Also didn't realise it was a young Christian Bale, the boy did good in this.
    And a young Ben Stiller too iirc.....

Just watched Mindhorn.. Loved it - genuinely funny film.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life