What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• mar10mar10 Frets: 12
    edited March 2018
    Ex-machina - excellent, you can see the twist coming but it’s clever

cloverfield road- was creepily excellent until the aliens appeared... yawn! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited March 2018
    Winchester, 
    Widowed wife of the founder of Winchester firearms lives in seclusion in an eccentic ever expanding,mansion, where workers toil round the clock, shareholders in the company believe she is mentally unfit to continue her 51% stake in the business......they send in a psychologist to assess her.......ghostly goings on ensue..

Genuine cry out loud, hairs stand up on arms and legs, make you jump moments, formula stuff once it gets going, but quite well done...

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    They Live - that '80s John Carpenter movie, that I'd somehow missed. It's terrible, bad acting, comically poor dialogue and so cheaply made. Compared to The Thing (which he made earlier) it's total pants. 4/10

But I can see exactly where David Icke got his ideas. Perhaps he watched it on a bad acid trip and Bob's your shape shifting illuminati uncle?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Paddington 1 & 2

Utterly charming. Q is excellent playing a bear. The rest of the cast are great throughout. Though I'm not 100% sure why #2 is getting labelled "best film ever". It's good, but it's hardly Empire Strikes Back/BTTF/Raiders of the Lost Ark/Pulp Fiction etc etc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    goldtop said:
    But I can see exactly where David Icke got his ideas. Perhaps he watched it on a bad acid trip and Bob's your shape shifting illuminati uncle?
    I'm absolutely convinced he fell asleep in front of the TV, then in a drowsy half-awake way watched the original series of V.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    goldtop said:
    They Live - that '80s John Carpenter movie, that I'd somehow missed. It's terrible, bad acting, comically poor dialogue and so cheaply made. Compared to The Thing (which he made earlier) it's total pants. 4/10

I love that movie!

I did age very bad, the acting was always horrible and sfx are tacky but... it's a classic! 
    The idea, the feel/mood/vibe of the movie is great and the story itself - simple, but when the "revelation" happens it's pretty freaky. I know... I cannot defend B class movie as it is what it is, but that movie along with Carpenter's "The Thing" were very influential pictures in my youth. 

"Children of the Damned" anyone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    "No country for old men". 

Love the film, love the book. 

I generally love rural/western/americana movies. This one is great.

9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    BigBearKris said:

You mean Carpenter's Village of the Damned?

It's utter pants, but the original Village of the Damned and Children of the Damned from the 1960s are excellent.

I love a lot of John Carpenter's films, but he's been in decline for such a long time... I wish he'd retire.

Yes, The original. 1964 I believe. Great movie.

And agreed re: Carpenter.

9/10
    That's the one with Bardem as the baddie? Great movie, but it really plays with your natural desire for justice and/or a happy ending for someone/anyone. I was left unsettled by it.
    goldtop said:

9/10
    That's the one with Bardem as the baddie? Great movie, but it really plays with your natural desire for justice and/or a happy ending for someone/anyone. I was left unsettled by it.
    Very true. It is not an optimistic picture but still great watch. Josh Brolin, Harrelson, Tommy Lee Jones... great performances all of them.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Philly_Q said:
    BigBearKris said:

You mean Carpenter's Village of the Damned?

It's utter pants, but the original Village of the Damned and Children of the Damned from the 1960s are excellent.

I went to school with a guy who’d acted in Children of the Damned, Clive Powell. His parents had put the money from the film into trust for him.  I remember he turned up at school one day with a Mk 2 Jag, he’d had his pay out. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    A Walk Among the Tombstones.

Liam Neeson mumbling and hitting people. Really quite unpleasant in parts but for a film I hadn’t really meant to watch and Channel 5 seem to have endless adverts ( and a news summary in the middle of it) it somehow gripped me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Liam Neeson mumbling and hitting people. Really quite unpleasant in parts but for a film I hadn’t really meant to watch and Channel 5 seem to have endless adverts ( and a news summary in the middle of it) it somehow gripped me. 
    At least he's not on a plane or a train in that one.  True diversity.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Enemy - Jake Gyllenhall in a 'doppleganger' movie. Very slow and very clever. I won't say much, because you're supposed to figure everything out. Must have done badly at the box office, because there's no way the typical mass movie audience would go for this. 7/10
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Philly_Q said:

At least he's not on a plane or a train in that one.  True diversity.
    There is a sub plot ( might be a little grand calling it that ) about the Y2K bug (it's set in 1999 for no apparent reason), the closing theme song is a cover of Black Hole Sun and there's a bunch of stuff about  sickle cell anemia. So some quite quirky elements which I like  although the women in it exist almost entirely as passive objects of male sexual violence ( the only exception I can recall is a  waitress serving coffee)so not one to watch winding down after a feminist seminar. 
    It's crap in many ways and I don't feel proud about myself for sitting through it but I was quite gripped. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Annihilation enjoyable but I preferred ex machina and annihilation should have had a cinematic release. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited March 2018
    LA Confidential. Excellent crime noir from the 90s, with a stellar cast. 
    Hell House LLC. A pretty decent ‘found footage’ movie - recommended if you’re a fan of the Blair witch. 
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    David Brent life on the road - awful 3/10. one or two funny moments but overall pretty depressing.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    Wind River - Crime drama set on a snowbound Indian reservation in Wyoming. Jeremy Renner helps a rookie FBI agent solve the rape and murder of a teenage girl. Beautiful location and a pretty good story. Quite moving in parts. I really enjoyed it.
    Link to my trading feedback