Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Facebook, insta and WhatsApp down

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    Chris.B said:
    crunchman said:
    Getting away from the bickering, the Whatsapp app on my PC was broken this morning.  Coincidence?
    My PC based Whatsapp reported a missing DLL file on Sunday, reinstalling the app solved the problem. This was about 24 hours before the apparent FB problem. 

That's what mine was doing.  Don't think I'd used the PC version for a few days, so probably not linked to the outage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Chris.B said:
    Haych said:

My missus was complaining her phone had no internet too, think hers is an iPhone XR. 
    Thank Haych.

What is reported as internal configuration changes at FB towers seems to have caused a number of phones from different manufacturers to incorrectly report themselves as offline.

We need the truth - we should demand an inquisition.

Because the internet is a big and complicated thing it's sometimes quite hard to tell if you have connectivity. 
    A lot of software and devices just check if they can access sites like Google and Facebook because the idea that they are down seems very unlikely so "Can I connect to Facebook" can be used as a proxy question for "Can I access the internet"

This means that when devices can't connect to Facebook they might wrongly indicate the internet is not working.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    I wonder if one of the mods has the time to split the 2 threads we have in here.  The one about FB being offline and the apparent side effects is quite interesting to me - the discussion and squabbling about the merits or otherwise of FB may be interesting to others, but I don't think they belong in the same thread. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Chris.B said:
    I wonder if one of the mods has the time to split the 2 threads we have in here.  The one about FB being offline and the apparent side effects is quite interesting to me - the discussion and squabbling about the merits or otherwise of FB may be interesting to others, but I don't think they belong in the same thread. 
    I actually thought about offering some insight into my “journey” on Facebook (with regards to SC Relics). I wasn’t sure how much I’d be able to write without it getting boring for everyone but it might be something I do shortly. 
    I actually thought about offering some insight into my “journey” on Facebook (with regards to SC Relics). I wasn’t sure how much I’d be able to write without it getting boring for everyone but it might be something I do shortly. 
    Sounds like a good idea to me, it would be interesting to hear how a small UK business can benefit from a Californian giant - probably best in its own thread.  
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5008
    And as yet, no one has addressed the main point

Should we be stockpiling cup a soup?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Reverend said:
    And as yet, no one has addressed the main point

Should we be stockpiling cup a soup?
    If you haven't started yet you're already dead...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18952
    Just wait until he's dried out a bit, then a quick rub down with a grater, add hot water & hey presto...cup a soup.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605
    I deactivated Facebook months ago and have been pleasantly surprised to find that I really don't miss it. Just one friend that I can think of I'm not in touch with via other means - I will send him a message or give him a phone at some point - might even arrange to meet face to face!

There's so many reasons to dislike Facebook - the vastness of it's reach, spreading dis-information, accelerating panic, the interruptions, the effect on attention span etc. But the thing I dislike most is that it is the world leader in the persuasive technology domain - everything about it is designed to 'consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible'. The colour of the like notifications, the AI generated drip feeding of content it thinks the viewer will find interesting, the creepy email messages it sends to remind you when you've not visited for a while. Yes - all these digital media platforms do it now - but Facebook is/was the poster boy for this sort of behavioural technology Silicon Valley thought up shite.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5682
    ewal said:
    I deactivated Facebook months ago and have been pleasantly surprised to find that I really don't miss it. Just one friend that I can think of I'm not in touch with via other means - I will send him a message or give him a phone at some point - might even arrange to meet face to face!

There's so many reasons to dislike Facebook - the vastness of it's reach, spreading dis-information, accelerating panic, the interruptions, the effect on attention span etc. But the thing I dislike most is that it is the world leader in the persuasive technology domain - everything about it is designed to 'consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible'. The colour of the like notifications, the AI generated drip feeding of content it thinks the viewer will find interesting, the creepy email messages it sends to remind you when you've not visited for a while. Yes - all these digital media platforms do it now - but Facebook is/was the poster boy for this sort of behavioural technology Silicon Valley thought up shite.

I have to be honest, I'm getting there myself.  There are a couple of people I would miss if I did close it down but it's mostly used by fascists to spread hate these days.

I've also noticed quite a few misandrist posts shared in recent days after Wayne Couzens was convicted, so while my account is still active I'm much less inclined to spend my time interacting with it.

That said, there are quite a number of very good pages I follow and I'd hate to lose that content - but this just proves that like most tools, it can be used for incredible benefit or it can be used to inflict incredible pain.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8753
    Much to the annoyance of my grandchildren I have used family time to lob the derailing comments into here https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/214922/gilly-s-derailing-of-the-facebook-outage-thread
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Much to the annoyance of my grandchildren I have used family time to lob the derailing comments into here https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/214922/gilly-s-derailing-of-the-facebook-outage-thread
    @Roland ; Thank you for tidying up the thread and apologies to your grandchildren.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605
    Some of the derailing comments from others are still in this thread, however I appreciate it must take time and you have better things to do.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8753
    @ewal One man’s derailing comment is often another man’s attempt at humour. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.