Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Facebook, insta and WhatsApp down

What's Hot

Comments

• There's me thinking it was my internet connection or phone playing up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15616
    and just to be serious for a moment (don't worry, abnormal service will be resumed as soon as possible) after mrs F died, FB was a lifeline for me. I was able to facetime with family, friends (yes, I do have actual friends!!!) were able to reach out and contact me. There is no doubt is has its flaws, it is, afterall, just people and people are the most flawed thing ever, but they can also be the most marvellous thing. FB merely reflects us and all our wonderful fuckedupedness.

Here's Tom with the weather. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    I don't think that is true to be honest Tony. The success of WhatsApp is built on the success of SMS messaging. The success of Facebook is built on the success of Myspace and others.

You can't stop progress. This is the world now. It sorta sucks. It's sorta cool too.
    Which bit do you disagree with?

Agree with what you say - SMS enabled WhatsApp, MySpace prepared the ground for Facebook.

But, we’re probably past the peak for both of those services.  That’s progress.  The world worked before Facebook, works now with it, and will work in future without it.  

What comes next? If I knew that, I wouldn’t be wasting my time here (!), but sure as eggs, something will come next. And then that too will pass.
    Well I don't think services like Facebook are gone, and I don't think that the world would move on. They'd just invent the next thing coming down the pipeline.

I think mass media and mass communication on these sorts of scales are here forever more.

That said its perfectly possible to get by just fine without it.

I don't have Facebook, Instagram, tiktok, or Twitter and I only sporadically use Whats App.

At no point do I ever feel like I'm missing out on anything.or can't do something. 

I do appreciate its hard to be in a band without it.

Not just a band. I have real friends and family (yes I fucking do!!) all over the world that I keep in touch with via WhatsApp and Facebook. I'm sure a lot of people do. I think social media is invaluable really.

Bye!

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5017
    VimFuego said:
    and just to be serious for a moment (don't worry, abnormal service will be resumed as soon as possible) after mrs F died, FB was a lifeline for me. I was able to facetime with family, friends (yes, I do have actual friends!!!) were able to reach out and contact me. There is no doubt is has its flaws, it is, afterall, just people and people are the most flawed thing ever, but they can also be the most marvellous thing. FB merely reflects us and all our wonderful fuckedupedness.

Here's Tom with the weather. 
    We went into lockdown the week after my mums funeral. WhatsApp and fb were invaluable 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12415
    If my dad can't do his daily facebook shitpost about immigrants he's gonna go bananas. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Although to be fair.... fuck Twitter... seriously.... simp normie cunts....

Bye!

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11972
    DiscoStu said:
    Bring back Bebo!
    I used to work with Mick & Xochi back in the day and invested in their first company.  Damnation...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27669
    If my dad can't do his daily facebook shitpost about immigrants he's gonna go bananas. 
    I had to LOL that for the immigrants/bananas 

:D 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    From the arstechnica link above:

New York Times technology reporter Sheera Frenkel reports that some Facebook employees are unable to enter buildings due to badge access also being down from the outage.

Apparently, it has to be fixed by someone physically on site.  This could take a while.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    TTony said:
    I don't think that is true to be honest Tony. The success of WhatsApp is built on the success of SMS messaging. The success of Facebook is built on the success of Myspace and others.

You can't stop progress. This is the world now. It sorta sucks. It's sorta cool too.
    Which bit do you disagree with?

Agree with what you say - SMS enabled WhatsApp, MySpace prepared the ground for Facebook.

But, we’re probably past the peak for both of those services.  That’s progress.  The world worked before Facebook, works now with it, and will work in future without it.  

What comes next? If I knew that, I wouldn’t be wasting my time here (!), but sure as eggs, something will come next. And then that too will pass.
    Well I don't think services like Facebook are gone, and I don't think that the world would move on. They'd just invent the next thing coming down the pipeline.

I think mass media and mass communication on these sorts of scales are here forever more.

I don't have Facebook, Instagram, tiktok, or Twitter and I only sporadically use Whats App.

At no point do I ever feel like I'm missing out on anything.or can't do something. 

Not just a band. I have real friends and family (yes I fucking do!!) all over the world that I keep in touch with via WhatsApp and Facebook. I'm sure a lot of people do. I think social media is invaluable really.
    This.

Facebook & Skype originally and now WhatsApp have been godsends to me. I've been away from the the UK since 2006. Being able to cheaply and easily stay in contact with all of my friends and relatives, share photos, videos and real time calls has made my life so much better. 

Like a lot of things, it's really down to how you as a user interact, what your expectations are and how good your personal shit filter is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17664
    tFB Trader
    mass media and mass communication on these sorts of scales are here forever more.

I also have both friends and family.

My mum uses WhatsApp, my sister only does SMS, my dad does phonecalls, my brother in law only does emai, It doesn't really make any difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mass media and mass communication on these sorts of scales are here forever more.

I also have both friends and family.

My mum uses WhatsApp, my sister only does SMS, my dad does phonecalls, my brother in law only does emai, It doesn't really make any difference.
    Okay, I'll level with you. I send my mum dick pics via all social media. She hates it.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4602
    edited October 2021
    I bet there's a lot of people, certainly in my town, stuck in a closed loop, not being able to complain on facebook how shit facebook is for being down.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What are all those young in Instagram influences going to do making a living out of flashing their tits?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This posted from an internal FB sysadmin:

This is a global outage for all FB-related services/infra (source: I'm currently on the recovery/investigation team).

Update 1440 UTC:

As many of you know, DNS for FB services has been affected and this is likely a symptom of the actual issue, and that's that BGP peering with Facebook peering routers has gone down, very likely due to a configuration change that went into effect shortly before the outages happened (started roughly 1540 UTC).

There are people now trying to gain access to the peering routers to implement fixes, but the people with physical access is separate from the people with knowledge of how to actually authenticate to the systems and people who know what to actually do, so there is now a logistical challenge with getting all that knowledge unified.

Part of this is also due to lower staffing in data centers due to pandemic measures.

Although this is a DNS technical issue, it  sounds like a management problem to me.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15616
    This posted from an internal FB sysadmin:

This is a global outage for all FB-related services/infra (source: I'm currently on the recovery/investigation team).

Update 1440 UTC:

As many of you know, DNS for FB services has been affected and this is likely a symptom of the actual issue, and that's that BGP peering with Facebook peering routers has gone down, very likely due to a configuration change that went into effect shortly before the outages happened (started roughly 1540 UTC).

There are people now trying to gain access to the peering routers to implement fixes, but the people with physical access is separate from the people with knowledge of how to actually authenticate to the systems and people who know what to actually do, so there is now a logistical challenge with getting all that knowledge unified.

Part of this is also due to lower staffing in data centers due to pandemic measures.

Although this is a DNS technical issue, it  sounds like a management problem to me.

what you seem to be saying is the guy with the hammer that is needed to fix the problem is not in the same place as the guy with the key to let the guy with the hammer in so he can start hitting shit?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4133
    We're all gonna have to join OnlyFans now to pay videos of cats and what we had for dinner. 
  • VimFuego said:
    This posted from an internal FB sysadmin:

Update 1440 UTC:

what you seem to be saying is the guy with the hammer that is needed to fix the problem is not in the same place as the guy with the key to let the guy with the hammer in so he can start hitting shit?

Well summarised...the right people are in the wrong places, and that's a management problem exposed by a technical issue.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Gilly said:
    Just for some serious context here - to all the “Facebook and Instagram are for the degenerate low life’s in society” naysayers that populate the fretboard… I, as well as many other guitar businesses rely heavily on social media to reach my customers and fan base. Most of the outages are minor and last for an hour or two at most. But I haven’t seen one that takes out both simultaneously for this long. I only found out about it when I went to post on Instagram. 

Without this (free) method of getting info out to my followers I can’t continue effectively as a business. A website will only get you so far, we live in the day and age of social media (with or without the haters). So, hopefully it’s fixed soon. And I hope some insight from myself speaks for a few fellow businesses of similar size that provide goods and services for you guys. 
    Facebook has huge negative impacts in society, from destabilising democracy, allowing the spread of false information and not doing hardly anything to stop bullying and trolling on a epic scale. A recent study showed Instragram has a negative effect on teenagers’ mental health and Facebook tried to hide it. They always seek to avoid taking any responsibility for any of the negative aspects of the platform.

So, sorry if you don’t like the fact that many people hate Facebook, for good reason. If your business relies on it, that’s your choice, but we don’t have to like it for your benefit.

More about this here https://www.reuters.com/technology/facebook-whistleblower-reveals-identity-ahead-senate-hearing-2021-10-03/

I use Facebook for music connections and random shitposting/interest groups with communities of strangers, but I acknowledge that it is all these bad things too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    My teenage daughter has survived a whole evening with no Instagram and no Whatsapp.  Maybe there is hope!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom