Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Facebook, insta and WhatsApp down

What's Hot

Comments

• TTony said:

Without this (free) method of getting info out to my followers I can’t continue effectively as a business. A website will only get you so far, we live in the day and age of social media (with or without the haters). So, hopefully it’s fixed soon. And I hope some insight from myself speaks for a few fellow businesses of similar size that provide goods and services for you guys. 
    Fair enough, you might not pay them any £££s to use the platform, but it’s hardly free.

The world worked, and businesses large and small managed to business in the world before Facebook et al.

Being offline for an hour, a day, even a week, is not going to be fatal to your (or other) businesses, particularly when all businesses on the platform are equally affected.  If Facebook did disappear forever, then the world would soon adapt.  In a year or two, it would be barely remembered.  
    I don't think that is true to be honest Tony. The success of WhatsApp is built on the success of SMS messaging. The success of Facebook is built on the success of Myspace and others.

You can't stop progress. This is the world now. It sorta sucks. It's sorta cool too.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    Gilly said:
    Just for some serious context here - to all the “Facebook and Instagram are for the degenerate low life’s in society” naysayers that populate the fretboard… I, as well as many other guitar businesses rely heavily on social media to reach my customers and fan base. Most of the outages are minor and last for an hour or two at most. But I haven’t seen one that takes out both simultaneously for this long. I only found out about it when I went to post on Instagram. 

Without this (free) method of getting info out to my followers I can’t continue effectively as a business. A website will only get you so far, we live in the day and age of social media (with or without the haters). So, hopefully it’s fixed soon. And I hope some insight from myself speaks for a few fellow businesses of similar size that provide goods and services for you guys. 
    Facebook has huge negative impacts in society, from destabilising democracy, allowing the spread of false information and not doing hardly anything to stop bullying and trolling on a epic scale. A recent study showed Instragram has a negative effect on teenagers’ mental health and Facebook tried to hide it. They always seek to avoid taking any responsibility for any of the negative aspects of the platform.

So, sorry if you don’t like the fact that many people hate Facebook, for good reason. If your business relies on it, that’s your choice, but we don’t have to like it for your benefit.

THIS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5007
    Twitter users trying to be funny about it is among rhe worst comedy since mrs browns boys.
  • Reverend said:
    Twitter users trying to be funny about it is among rhe worst comedy since mrs browns boys.
    :lol:

You're not fucking wrong!! Bunch of idiot normies.

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33834
    I'd tend to trust Slashdot and the Register over Disclose and no one there is suggesting it was a hack.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15615
    Reverend said:
    that may be the single most cutting insult I've ever heard.

I am all sorts of envious I didn't think of it.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Fair enough, you might not pay them any £££s to use the platform, but it’s hardly free.

The world worked, and businesses large and small managed to business in the world before Facebook et al.

Being offline for an hour, a day, even a week, is not going to be fatal to your (or other) businesses, particularly when all businesses on the platform are equally affected.  If Facebook did disappear forever, then the world would soon adapt.  In a year or two, it would be barely remembered.  
    But to me, it is free. I don’t pay to use it. I’ve never paid for advertising at all. 

The thing is, the world would adapt. But not in the way you’d want it to (I’m guessing). Because you can’t stop progress and creativity. If it isn’t Facebook, it’ll be something else that comes along to take its place. 

My business started with a Facebook and Instagram page nearly 5 years ago. I have no physical retail space. So again, you can play down outages all you want but without social media driving interest and customers towards my work then it creates a lot of issues. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    I only really use (used?) Facebook for the band messaging each other. The "what you were doing 5 years ago on this day" was quite fun but i'd pretty much unfollowed everyone else due to drivel and shite pictures of dogs
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15615
    DesVegas said:
    I only really use (used?) Facebook for the band messaging each other. The "what you were doing 5 years ago on this day" was quite fun but i'd pretty much unfollowed everyone else due to drivel and shite pictures of dogs
    what about pics of dog shite? I reckon that's gotta be half my feed.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27664
    I don't think that is true to be honest Tony. The success of WhatsApp is built on the success of SMS messaging. The success of Facebook is built on the success of Myspace and others.

You can't stop progress. This is the world now. It sorta sucks. It's sorta cool too.
    Which bit do you disagree with?

Agree with what you say - SMS enabled WhatsApp, MySpace prepared the ground for Facebook.

But, we’re probably past the peak for both of those services.  That’s progress.  The world worked before Facebook, works now with it, and will work in future without it.  

What comes next? If I knew that, I wouldn’t be wasting my time here (!), but sure as eggs, something will come next. And then that too will pass.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    edited October 2021
    Oh it's certainly up there Vim
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3699
    edited October 2021
    Faecebook sells that to anyone.

No hacking needed.
  • TTony said:

Agree with what you say - SMS enabled WhatsApp, MySpace prepared the ground for Facebook.

But, we’re probably past the peak for both of those services.  That’s progress.  The world worked before Facebook, works now with it, and will work in future without it.  

What comes next? If I knew that, I wouldn’t be wasting my time here (!), but sure as eggs, something will come next. And then that too will pass.
    Well I don't think services like Facebook are gone, and I don't think that the world would move on. They'd just invent the next thing coming down the pipeline.

I think mass media and mass communication on these sorts of scales are here forever more.

Bye!

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    This is all coming down to those who use Facebook and Instagram for a specific reason vs those who denounce it for a variety of issues they have had or have read about. If you don’t use these platforms, fine. But to try and use another online platform to say that the aforementioned platforms are pointless, dangerous or will one day be obsolete is a combination of ironic, ignorant and arrogant. 

You might be posting your opinions on a forum with minimal traffic (compared to Facebook) but you are still using the internet to push your ideals on others who seem to be able to manage their other social media perfectly fine. 

But, I’ve got little else to add without embellishing more on my personal experiences on social media which I don’t care to do right now.
  • Skynet? 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27664
    Didn’t say that they *are* gone @WiresDreamDisasters - just that they’re probably past peak now.  And, in today’s world, once you stop growing, you’re dying.  Surely FB is now the preserve of the middle aged.  It’s not for the youth of today. 

And “they’d just invent the next thing” (etc) is also what I meant.  Facebook will go, son (or gender neutral offspring) of Facebook will soon appear in its place.

Don’t know about “forever more” though.  Can’t quite see that far ahead ...
    :D

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Facebook don't even trust the future of Facebook, which is evidenced by their billions of spending on other platforms.  It's contingency really, even if it does generate revenue in the meantime.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16756
    edited October 2021
    I like Facebook.  I post a lot of meaningless crap about guitars  food, films, kids etc.

Every morning I look at my memories.   Sure, I have photo albums I could look at instead, but Facebook is there actively reminding me of things I wouldn't even think of... and it makes me smile.

I'm in a few groups, some private, which give a real sense of community and support.

I like go see what my friends are up to.  Talking to some older friends on there has helped me reconnect with people I had grown apart from.

Yeah, there is some shit.  I have removed people who posted too much, but mostly I roll my eyes and scroll on by.

I don't get the negativity for it.   It can be a great platform if you chose to use it that way.   

I did have some time off it a few years ago  it was needed, and helped me establish a healthier relationship with it on my return.   I could live without it, but I like it being there.   I did exactly the same with this forum at that time

I would really miss WhatsApp and messenger as I use them as my primary method of keeping in touch with people.   I don't have most peoples phone number anymore 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Well I don't think services like Facebook are gone, and I don't think that the world would move on. They'd just invent the next thing coming down the pipeline.

I think mass media and mass communication on these sorts of scales are here forever more.

That said its perfectly possible to get by just fine without it.

I don't have Facebook, Instagram, tiktok, or Twitter and I only sporadically use Whats App.

At no point do I ever feel like I'm missing out on anything.or can't do something. 

I do appreciate its hard to be in a band without it.