The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Tonight's wasn't great IMHO. Some nice comic moments ( Monty Don LOL) but bit of a non story.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9676
    Quite Ballardian I thought. But yeah, the story was only a notch above the Soup Dragon laying an egg on the moon.

Nice to see the lovely Siwan Morris back on screen though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72773
    Frankly it was a bit crap. Leaving aside the nonsensical science, where was the entire population of London apart from one child's mum and half a dozen blokes in fireproof suits?

Still, Capaldi was as good and grumpy as always and Clara looked nice as usual... but it seemed like too much of a place-holder for some big plot development.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9676
    Well, there is that mysterious woman who appears at the end of every episode, talking about Clara. Two episodes left I think, and the Cybermen are back.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It wasn't a bad story and some of the kids were great. It was obviously the low-budget, kid friendly episode. Won't don't the BBC actually fund it properly by cutting the crap Strictly come bake, sew with a master chef.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    edited October 2014
    I thought the story was appalling. It was ill conceived, couldn't fit into the timeframe and was just ......dumb. Plants and trees shooting up out of nowhere? all people disappearing? The sister pointlessly showing up at the end. It was a shame as the episode 'looked' really good with all the greenery, and the basic starting premise of London in undergrowth was really interesting. That script should have been thrown out once it got past the most basic concept 'London as a forest'. Capaldi was still great.

I don't think I'm gonna like where they take the series with the mystery woman. I can't get past seeing her as the nutcase from Green Wing. Didn't we already do the 'mad woman behind the scenes thing' with the eyepatch lady back in the Matt Smith/Pond era anyway???
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15686
    pretty much agree with the above, great premise for a story, very poorly executed.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Could the mystery sister be the new companion ? :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • The Mystery sister clearly yet another hook.  This story line has more hooks than an ABBA song !

Agree with most of the above. Capaldi , good . Jenna easy on the eyes , that held it together.

• Have to say i thought it was rubbish - and on a par with something off cbeebies.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Clara's neck looked long.
    My V key is broken
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    These self-contained episodes must be the hardest to get to work, why don't they have running stories ? @lixarto

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Jalapeno said:
    These self-contained episodes must be the hardest to get to work, why don't they have running stories ? @lixarto

Agree .. IMHO the idea was an original one that couldn't be realised in 45 minutes .. in the old days there would be multiple episodes to tell a decent story and develop the characters but apparently people [the BBC] these days don't like multiple episodes. It's a wonder shows like Lost and Game of thrones survive .. come on BBC.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    holnrew said:
    There's a Moloko album title I kept thinking of for some reason every time she was on the screen.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Moffat has changed how he makes the programme since Capaldi took over - he used to do what RTD did, which was plot everything[1] and farm some of them out to other writers.

Now he is "inviting" other writers to pitch ideas, and if they fit his general idea for the season's structure, telling them "Yes". This tree episode was one such.

Very Ballardian as already said. I liked it hugely, and the sister was always going to reappear - you all knew that as soon as she was mentioned[2].

[1] Exceptions - the Paul Cornell episodes

[2] Gun in Act One, etc.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Lixarto said:
    Moffat has changed how he makes the programme since Capaldi took over - he used to do what RTD did, which was plot everything[1] and farm some of them out to other writers.

Now he is "inviting" other writers to pitch ideas, and if they fit his general idea for the season's structure, telling them "Yes". This tree episode was one such.

Very Ballardian as already said. I liked it hugely, and the sister was always going to reappear - you all knew that as soon as she was mentioned[2].

[1] Exceptions - the Paul Cornell episodes

[2] Gun in Act One, etc.

That's a relief as, just like Russell Davies, Moffat couldn't plot his way out of a wet paper bag.

I enjoyed last night's episode.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    ICBM said:
    holnrew said:
    There's a Moloko album title I kept thinking of for some reason every time she was on the screen.
    Funnily enough @ICBM I thought the very same thing.

Baps in tight things is all I am saying,
    Not "I Am Not A Doctor", then?

:)

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Well I was slightly distracted by her tight sweater to remrmber that one, yes I am that pervert.
    johnnyurq said:
    Well I was slightly distracted by her tight sweater to remrmber that one, yes I am that pervert.
    That's the one I meant too ;).