The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15611
    thumbs up here. I get what fretW is saying, though for me I'm not fussed about them rehashing old monsters and the master (best master ever as well) so long as the plot and writing is up to scratch, and it was top notch.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Fantastic Episode. Great acting from everyone and a decent script to work with. Just need to bring it home next week for it to go down as Capaldi's defining performance as THE Doctor.

It's been very hit and miss this season with only Capaldi really shining, Coleman a bit hit and miss for me but more likely let down a bit by the stories. 

Be much more interesting when Capaldi gets his own companion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    frankus said:
    I thought it was a good gag for Who ... like the one-liner about Daleks.

It was a good gag .. Who doesn't usually do that sort of thing though ... the worms won't like it .. :-)

I thought the Time Travellers Wife thing was funny.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Having cast Mary Poppins as the Master there's a cunning plan for the new Doctors assistant ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wouldn't it have made more sense for it to be The Rani?

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    no, the great unwashed wouldn't know her .. .they'd say "oo?"  - they might remember the bucanneer...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    frankus said:
    no, the great unwashed wouldn't know her .. .they'd say "oo?"  - they might remember the bucanneer...
    Or how about someone new .... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • When she went on about being abandoned, I did wonder if it was going to be Romana.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited November 2014

When she went on about being abandoned, I did wonder if it was going to be Romana.
    I said this before - that would make more sense (to the point where "Mistress" is a misdirection in itself). The Doctor did not leave the Master for dead.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • it's like watching Flash Gordon - the cliffhanger from the previous episode is conveniently forgotten about.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I've absolutely loved Capaldi as the Doctor.
    For me he's been the closest to my era of Doctor (Pertwee and Tom Baker) and tipping a nod to Hartnell and Troughton, although Chris Ecclestone was good too in that respect.

So glad they've moved the love story away from the Doctor  - the Tennant and Smith era got tedious for that, even thogh it upped the female viewing figures I'm told.

Clara has been my favourite assistant as far as eye candy goes, and thankfully her acting has gained some gravitas this season.

They have still made the mistake of trying to have too many kids in it (in my opinion).
    Children can follow a drama, even if there isn't a child centric plot, although I shouldn't grumble as it is supposed to be a kids programme.
    Recent episodes have been great in that there has been something for all ages.

I'd love them to do an even more serious version aimed at a mature audience - with the seriousness of something like the X Files.
    They kind of did it with Torchwood, but I think Capaldi would be great in that setting

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited November 2014
    If it can be Romana it can be Susan too :) or the daughter generated in The Timelords Daughter

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    also given Clara was at the steeling of the Tardis...
  • Saturday night in has been the doctor very loud whilst Alfie plays with his squeaky raccoon to stop him being freaked by fireworks, so I may have to watch it again - wasn't exactly clinical conditions. But, again nice elements but a long way from the best.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I can't quite put my finger on it, but my overall feeling about that episode was one of deep, soul-rending disappointment. A complete waste of an excellent first part.
    <space for hire>
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828
    I thought it was utter rubbish with some occasional laughs.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but my overall feeling about that episode was one of deep, soul-rending disappointment. A complete waste of an excellent first part.

Yes indeed. Disjointed and largely brushed off the salient points of the first part to shoehorn Clara's dramatic moments in. Overall I think it's a waste of a series. Some very good moments and a fantastic Doctor but overshadowed by trying to hard to be dramatic and "important".
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Agreed - I was hoping for something good to lift an ok episode into something really good but it was fairly poor.  The script seemed to jump all over the place without any sense of drama.
  • Classic failing of a two-parter. First part promises so much, second part fails to deliver.

I didn't think it was that bad tbh. The whole Danny Pink story ended up mawkish and sentimental though. And it looks like Clara is finished as the assistant. As for the Cybermen - well, they shouldn't have messed with the mythology in the first place!