The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Happy Crimbo ... don't forget your last chance to see Clara in the Doctor Who Christmas special with Santa ... a spooky one apparently.

She's staying on. Reported on the Beeb site.
    Excellent ... I missed that ... good episode I thought. My wife even liked it and she's not a Who fan.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Did I watch a different episode (and, frankly, season) to the rest of the internet cos that was just a little bit rubbish?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I kept dozing off during it. Partly a result of large amounts of food and Buck's Fizz but also cause it seemed a bit dull. I really have stopped giving a monkey's if Clara and the Dr are friends or not. Move on. :!!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Did I watch a different episode (and, frankly, season) to the rest of the internet cos that was just a little bit rubbish?
    Ditto - I thought it lived down to the standard of most Christmas specials.

I think they always overdo the 'is it real/is it a dream' thing, just like Inception.  After a while I just stop caring.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Didn't watch this years Xmas one (yet) but despair at the BBCs approach to Every Xmas episode -always schmaltzy rubbish about saving Santa or some rubbish. I have really enjoyed Capaldi and do find Clara very easy on the eye, but sometimes wonder where Moffat is at with respect to script lines. I would love to see a grown up version of Dr Who though....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited December 2014
    So the graffiti in the loos at Coalville School was right Miss Oswald has space crabs.

Noone is that fussed about the dream crab that killed Piers Fletcher Dervish still at large somewhere.

And still noone had a mark on their heads.

what would be good is if there was an outtake of Nick Frost doing an impression of Capaldi in In The Thick Of It - could bin the episode.

Just awful
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I think they need to sort the scriptwriting out now.
    Capaldi is a great actor, now claras staying they need to focus on the plots more.
    Mind you i did think the young girl who danced in the infirmary in the xmas episode could make a decent new companion.
    Still find Danny Pink dull as dishwater.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17616
    tFB Trader
    Good episode, but if Clara's staying on I hope they get her some acting lessons.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I thought it was OK, but not outstanding. Too much repetition of the same idea and a rather too neat get-out. The only genuinely good bit was Old Clara, when you didn't know if that was how her character would end in the series.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    She went from someone who made a lot of amazing deductions about the doctor to being John Watson: I don't understand ... I still don't understand..
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    edited January 2015
    Did I watch a different episode (and, frankly, season) to the rest of the internet cos that was just a little bit rubbish?
    Well I finally got round to watching it and what a pile of rubbish probably the worst episode ever and thats saying something

PS Happy New Year All
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Finally watched it, I thought it was the best episode in years---definitely the best Christmas episode I can remember.

I've said this before, but some of you lot don't half expect a lot from a 7pm family TV show. Relax, stop overthinking and just enjoy the awesomeness that is Capaldi. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree, hopefully now next series, capaldi and clara will gel together.
    And with a bit more thought to the scripts he'll be a great Doc.
    Personally, i'de like to see another companion thrown in the mix with a completely different story to the "love" angle that we've had.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27006
    Finally watched it, I thought it was the best episode in years---definitely the best Christmas episode I can remember.

I've said this before, but some of you lot don't half expect a lot from a 7pm family TV show. Relax, stop overthinking and just enjoy the awesomeness that is Capaldi. 

I suspect there's no easy way to please both of us..!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7876
    I think Capaldi is a fine actor, excellent even.  But, a good choice for the Dr?  I'm not sure. The target audience is young, and he's a curmudgeonly masticated looking emaciated codger with a very abrupt manner.  Plus, the personal of the Dr he plays is pretty dour, if not downright depressing. The chemistry with Clara hasn't worked well, and the writing of the last series was flippin' awful. The whole Mr Pink thing was underwhelming (despite Colemans solid acting), each episode was about 20 mins of him frowning at her, whichs gives an odd portrayal of a young relationship.

For me, there were only two episodes that worked well, and felt like they weren't written like a GCSE exam entry. Even the good ones were filled with plot holes galore.

The truth is,I watch them all. And, at the end, I question my sanity, and wonder why the hell I bothered in the first place.  In truth, I watch it out of some loyalty to a series I loved as a child.  Perhaps I'm just the wrong target audience to even be commenting on it? I don't comment on or watch Peppa Pig or Horrible Histories.....

Marlin
  • bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    I think he could be a very good doctor (in the style of John Pertwee) but the scriptwriting and storylines have been dire since he joined, too much comic effect for a serious dr.
  • TheMarlin said:
    I think Capaldi is a fine actor, excellent even.  But, a good choice for the Dr?  I'm not sure. The target audience is young, and he's a curmudgeonly masticated looking emaciated codger with a very abrupt manner.  Plus, the personal of the Dr he plays is pretty dour, if not downright depressing. 
    This is exactly why he's the best Doctor ever.  ;) The Doctor *should* be slightly abrupt and intimidating. 

I've watched back quite a lot of the "classic"  60s/70s/80s episodes recently. Its still (very) good, but a lot of people are clearly remembering the past with very rose-tinted glasses. Even the best-of-the-best episodes had awful dialogue and corny acting. Its part of the charm. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    This is exactly why he's the best Doctor ever.  ;) The Doctor *should* be slightly abrupt and intimidating.
    Yes. There's a lot of Hartnell (obviously), but also Davison and McCoy in Capaldi's performance.

For me, he's the best Doctor since Eccleston.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think they should let him have more of a say in writing the character. He could really own the role. And he does have an Oscar for directing...
    My V key is broken
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Doctor Who is back next week ... new series gets a good write up even though the two-part opener features the Daleks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/11856035/Doctor-Who-The-Magicians-Apprentice-The-Witchs-Familiar-spoiler-free-review.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!