The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Ive only just got back into Dr Who and Peter Capaldi seems pretty good apart from the whole guitar/dude thing.

I liked the overall story as Im a Dalek fan too.

A bit 'meh' in places but a thumbs up :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought it was a great opener.
    Much better than the last series and capaldi's doctor harks back to early doctors.
    The hand mines were good, and obviously the twist is that it appears the doc was partly responsible for Davros.
    Loved it!
  • I actually liked it, after the disappointment of the last season, I'm hoping this one will be good.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3023
    edited September 2015
    At least the doctor has the good taste to rock a Yamaha SGV. Imagine how shit it would be if he turned up with a PRS or a Joe Bonnamasa Signature... A good bit of casting there I think.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    At least the doctor has the good taste to rock a Yamaha SGV. Imagine how shit it would be if he turned up with a PRS or a Jow Bonnamaa Signature... A good bit of casting there I think.
    True - it was a good choice.

If he had used a PRS all the Dentist comments would have to change to The Doctor :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    At least the doctor has the good taste to rock a Yamaha SGV. Imagine how shit it would be if he turned up with a PRS or a Jow Bonnamaa Signature...
    Or even a Strat… boring. A V would have been OK too, but the Yamaha was about the best choice I can think of. What was the amp? Looked like some sort of Crate I think, but I could be wrong.

Other than that I thought it was messy, too predictable and is going to lead up to an all-too-convenient timey-wimey thing where Missy and Clara are not dead, having first been apparently killed off in a completely trivial way. The Doctor/Davros-as-a-boy thing is rather too Batman as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    edited September 2015
    ICBM said:
    Or even a Strat… boring. A V would have been OK too, but the Yamaha was about the best choice I can think of. What was the amp? Looked like some sort of Crate I think, but I could be wrong.

Pretty sure it's a Fender Mustang I or II. You can see it has five knobs on the left, a small gap, then three more on the right when viewed from the front. Angled top bit on the front grill, flat bottom. Mustang III and upwards have a different knob configuration. The Radio Times said they picked the guitar up on Denmark Street. Can't make out the nameplate n the front of the amp but I'm wondering if they bought it from Macari's who added the plate to it.  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Aha! You're right. It will be a II, the weave of the grille cloth in the pic makes it too big an amp to be a I.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ok, but the real question seems to be missing:  Can the jock doc actually play?
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Ok, but the real question seems to be missing:  Can the jock doc actually play?
    Sylvester McCoy plays the spoons.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

Did anyone wonder if there is a Timelord called The Dentist?

... who plays a PRS? ;)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I quite enjoyed it on the whole. As always, I could really pick it to pieces if I wanted to, but I prefer to 'go with the flow' and just enjoy it.  Jenna was lovely, Capaldi superb, and it wasn't the dollop of steaming shite that Moffatt is perfectly capable of.

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    I quite enjoyed it on the whole. As always, I could really pick it to pieces if I wanted to, but I prefer to 'go with the flow' and just enjoy it.  Jenna was lovely, Capaldi superb, and it wasn't the dollop of steaming shite that Moffatt is perfectly capable of.

Did you actually read the article I linked? ;-)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    axisus said:

Did you actually read the article I linked? ;-)
    Yup. At work as well! That wasn't him playing on Dr Who, I don't care what the article says. Most people who play guitar do not reel off precise EVH riffs. Just listen to his jingly jangly indie band. 
  • bit vague, can't imagine that it was the Yammy +Mustang even if it was him but this kinda suggests it wasn't him (or all him anyway).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • As the tank rolls into the arena and the Doctor is obscured by smoke, you can clearly hear some divebombing going on. Divebombing on a Yammie like that with no locking trem and no Whammy visible on the tank? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Plus there was a wah pedal going on while he was walking about. I guess he could have wah shoes, some weird Time Lord fashion thing...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10273
    Meanwhile on Mumsnet,

"Aren't Jenna Coleman's eyebrows lovely"
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Fair play. I stand corrected. :)