The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Might be the same thing but there's a prequel to the new series on the player.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Doctor Who assistant Jenna Coleman quits .. shame.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Ten minutes to go...ooh... 8-X
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Hand mines: Genius!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Oooh, nick cave!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ why the lol?
    The Weeping Song was playing in the bar after the opening scene.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Axe fight....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loved the hand mines, very creepy.   Seemed a very short episode.

Needed Brian May ....

• Nice bits ( hand mines, axe fight,etc as said), bit of A level philosophy, Star Wars influence/ tribute. Better than probably anything in the last series. B-)
    Nice bits ( hand mines, axe fight,etc as said), bit of A level philosophy, Star Wars influence/ tribute. Better than probably anything in the last series. B-)
    Let down by one thing .. Daleks .. so past their sell by date.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Very good episode.   If they carry on like that then this series will be a lot better than the last one. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    I was bored.

Some good moments but it still feels very moffatty
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Ignoring the pissawful guitar/tank/dude scene, skipping past the way Jenna is a cheapo Black Widow superhero again, overlooking another drawn out 'Doctor's facing his final day' load of shite again, closing my mind's eye at the vintage Dalek gathering that looked like the Skaro equivalent of the Goodwood Revival race car meeting, blocking out more of Missy and her tedious camp bullshit, glancing over the inevitable way that Skaro is going to be retconned in a way that makes John Peel's effort in War of the fucking Daleks look vaguely believable...

Well, the bits with Tom Baker speaking were great. 

The rest of it? 

SHITE SHITE SHITE SHITE SHITE MOFFY MOFFY SHITE SHITE.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, that was an episode that basically did nothing. Disappointing.

It does, however, mean that if Skaro can now be found outside of the Time Lock, then so can Gallifrey; I suspect that's where they're going with this.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, that was an episode that basically did nothing. Disappointing.

It does, however, mean that if Skaro can now be found outside of the Time Lock, then so can Gallifrey; I suspect that's where they're going with this.
    It goes back further than that. Skaro got destroyed by the 7th Doctor circa Remembrance of the Daleks. John Peel tried to retcon it in the most horrific way in War of the Daleks written with the McGann doctor. 

What's totally dismal about this episode is the hat it tips to the past. Genesis of the Daleks drew on Nazi imagery and posed all sorts of moral and ethical questions in a way that was simple enough for kids to understand and intelligent enough for adults to puzzle over. Revelation of the Daleks got mentioned, one of the few times that era of Who did pose some relevant questions. Remembrance of the Daleks got used, another serial which posed questions about race and purity and one which produced perhaps the single best novel of all the televised adventures. 

This episode did none of that. It drew from the past and couldn't expand on it one bit.  

Yeah, that was an episode that basically did nothing. Disappointing.

Given that a dude working for Torchwood managed to create a time lock, you'd rather think individuals like the Daleks who possess time travel technology could break it. 

Or just create a whole new Skaro elsewhere. Or have it invisible. Or another planet that wasn't Skaro was timelocked. Basically chose your retcon and go with it :D

Another point .. did anyone else think the incidental music was loud and shite .. Missy in the plazza talking to Clara .. the music was TOO LOUD ..

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    I started losing interest after what I thought was a good start to the Matt Smith era and saw a couple of episodes of the last series which didn't thrill me.

I didn't think it was likely that I'd watch any of this series and everything I've heard makes it pretty certain, I'd rather watch old episodes from Jon Pertwee through to Colin Baker instead.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Fretwired said:
    Another point .. did anyone else think the incidental music was loud and shite .. Missy in the plazza talking to Clara .. the music was TOO LOUD ..

I think that of most programmes. It baffles me on nature shows when they go and, say, film this huge fucking rockface full of seabirds screaming and hollering and then blank out the birds to put some useless lift muzak fodder over the top. 

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I liked it. 
    My V key is broken