The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I rather liked the "only other chair on Skaros" thing too.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

Every time they wheel out Daleks there are a million of them and the whole Earth is under threat, and yet the best dalek story since Who returned featured just one dalek that wasn't defeated by fighting. THAT is the kind of innovative storyline that they should produce for EVERY EPISODE! not maybe 1 out of every 12.

I was trying to think of another Dalek episode throughout all of Who where the Daleks don't exterminate anything (discounting things like the Space Museum and The Big Bang where they're token elements). Despite being on Skaro, despite there being millions of Daleks, nobody dies. 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

but that was because Missy had calibrated the teleporters to work at the same frequency as the Dalek's energy source..

you know like ... when... you wear black and are invincible to guns that are painted black.   

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I haven't watched Dr Who in ages. I liked Christopher Ecclestone and then David Tennant in the role. Thought the shows were good, suitably dark in places as well.

I watched Saturday's episode. I thought it was diabolical. Really poor. Shouldn't this be on CBBC? Characters, acting, plot, script -  woeful.

What a let down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

I really wish that Moffatt would fall on his sword and we could get a more intelligent, adult head producer/writer in. 

...to which someone will undoubtedly reply "oh, but it's a kids' show", as if writing for kids made it OK to write stupid incoherent nonsense.

Watch a few of Pixar's best films and tell me that you can't make stuff "for kids" that's also intelligent, thoughtful and emotionally satisfying.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • frankus said:

but that was because Missy had calibrated the teleporters to work at the same frequency as the Dalek's energy source..

you know like ... when... you wear black and are invincible to guns that are painted black.   

In Who history, The Krotons were regarded as fairly crap monsters. Even they managed to shred Troughton's umbrella. The Skaro Daleks couldn't even scratch someone's sunglasses. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Fretwired said:
    Capaldi is an excellent Doctor but deserves better material than the drivel served up last Saturday.
    +1

I thought it was very poor, worse than the first part. It's not Capaldi's fault, it's the writing - overdone, obvious, cartoony, contradictory (even for something so fictional) and just getting repetitive and silly.
    This ^^

Last season's Robin Hood episode anyone??

All this said.. I will still watch and chuckle.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Just watched second episode. Meh.

Biggest problem I had was with Clara sitting in the Dalek shell. Daleks are tiny creatures and only occupy the top portion of the machine. No way Clara would have fit inside.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Biggest problem I had was with Clara sitting in the Dalek shell. Daleks are tiny creatures and only occupy the top portion of the machine. No way Clara would have fit inside.
    That's one of the things I meant about it being self-contradictory even in a highly fictional world. There is an established framework, if they start disregarding important parts of it to make weak plot devices it all gets pointless.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    That's one of the things I meant about it being self-contradictory even in a highly fictional world. There is an established framework, if they start disregarding important parts of it to make weak plot devices it all gets pointless.

I'm sure they've had human characters inside Daleks before, and I'm not talking about "Inside the Dalek" or "Asylum of the Daleks".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUruSWLWH7c

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    There have been human characters in Daleks from day one .. what gets me is the fact the Daleks know the Doctor has exterminated billions of their kind but they never think of exterminating him as soon as their eye stalks get sight of him. Major design flaw .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Caught up last night. Just rubbish. Good concept, meh plot and terrible writing. Capaldi and Clara are excellent but the material and direction is awful. Missy is middling, flitting between "ooh, good, clever evil person" and "basically just another companion but more annoying".

And everybody saved by the usual crutch of timey wimey and feelings.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Caught up last night. Just rubbish. Good concept, meh plot and terrible writing. Capaldi and Clara are excellent but the material and direction is awful. Missy is middling, flitting between "ooh, good, clever evil person" and "basically just another companion but more annoying".

My feelings exactly .. crap writing. Some good actors wasted ..

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Fretwired said:

My feelings exactly .. crap writing. Some good actors wasted ..
    I'm beginning to wonder if Moffatt is secretly George Lucas. Great when he's writing and just pinging out ideas, REALLY BAD when he's got full control.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Good concept, meh plot and terrible writing.
    Annnnd that right there is Doctor Who in a nutshell.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Bloody hell! Dr Who tonight was superb. THIS is how it should be every time. My youngest daughter was well creeped out, I can't believe we have to wait a week for part two. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7864
    Every time I watch Dr Who, I berate myself for having wasted yet another portion of my life on utter crud.  This latest one was OK, but the previous one was dreadful, and the sonic sunglasses!!!!......I'm gonna find the writers house, and push cat poop through his letter box.  tw@t!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    This one was very good. Much more original and really creepy. Let's hope the resolution isn't overly trite or too reliant on sonic sunglasses...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Excellent episode with a cliffhanger .. like the old days.

• Really enjoyed it, wasnt expecting the ending either.
    Very good episode.