The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Surprisingly good episode. The only slight problem is that it'd cause a paradox...with two TARDISes kicking around.

I'm actually looking forward to next week's now.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The new Who era has always been at its best when it's not fucking about with the past (Daleks time after time, the pisspoor Cybermen). When it's gone with new things and new aliens, it's been good. 

Damn good episode. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Checkout the trailer for next week .. a big nasty looking new monster with a 1950s ray gun.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Yet another 'The Doctor must die' plot line. CHANGE THE RECORD!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No, that's a trailer for the remake of "predator", starring a certain Scottish, foul mouthed anorexic...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Just watched it, was good. Just calmer - following a story line rather than jumping around hoping we don't notice the inconsistencies.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    So seeing as the "no, you don't go in there it might be dangerous" to the guy who translates sign language ... oddness is a plot device, and we've established they're not interested if you've not seen the glyphs... as they weren't interested in Clara or the Doctor either, before.. all we need now is a way to bring back the dead or a weak explanation to excuse the Doctor from being dead and bingo - we skip to feeling robbed next Saturday evening.
    The new Who era has always been at its best when it's not fucking about with the past
    It's a time machine... I'd rather they rebooted Mr Benn for adults with Martin Freeman and Steven Fry -- but no, lets have an actors whims and childhood memories of Doctor Who dragged into the series... before you know it, he'll have a cape, a flying yellow car, and small excursions from the TARDIS will be made on a  Raleigh Chopper.   
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    @Frankus .. what's the betting the Doctor's in the box ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankus said:
    So seeing as the "no, you don't go in there it might be dangerous" to the guy who translates sign language ... oddness is a plot device, and we've established they're not interested if you've not seen the glyphs... as they weren't interested in Clara or the Doctor either, before.. all we need now is a way to bring back the dead or a weak explanation to excuse the Doctor from being dead and bingo - we skip to feeling robbed next Saturday evening.
    Question: why do they have to be dead to be "ghosts"?

Especially when - as has been established many times in the Doctor's universe - there's no such thing as ghosts.
    <space for hire>

that's what I mean though, it used to be that the Doctor had near misses and occasionally took a hit and died then we'd get to see Perry's cleavage..

not all of this "agh we saw them being killed in front of us" it was more "f***ing hell the Dalek is going to hear them as soon as one of them breathes out"  - far better cliff hangers.

Fretwired said:
    @Frankus .. what's the betting the Doctor's in the box ...
    I like it! I suspect you're right.

I've thought about it, I admire your spotting that, and I don't doubt you're right but it's a bit... you know.... pandorica.... or Day oft he Tentacle come to think of it...

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited October 2015
    frankus said:

I've thought about it, I admire your spotting that, and I don't doubt you're right but it's a bit... you know.... pandorica.... or Day oft he Tentacle come to think of it...

Well, I'm thinking that getting dead is one way to become one of them, but perhaps not the only way. The Doctor can't lip read (they made a big point of that), so it's likely that the only way he can communicate with them is to join them. I wonder if they've actually taken their cue from that Star Trek: TNG episode where Riker and Ro get shifted out of phase with the universe but everyone thinks they're dead...if so, I'm hoping that they come up with an explanation for the eyes that does make us all facepalm.
    <space for hire>
  • If it's going to be all two-parters this series I might at least enjoy Doctor Who every other week.

I've been saying since the Christopher Eccleston days that trying to cram a decent plot in to 45 minutes doesn't work. Much preferred the 25 minute episode, three- and four-part stories from the old days. Two-parters go a long way towards making a decent format for decent stories IMO.

Just needs some decent stories now... 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    frankus said:

Well, I'm thinking that getting dead is one way to become one of them, but perhaps not the only way. The Doctor can't lip read (they made a big point of that), so it's likely that the only way he can communicate with them is to join them. I wonder if they've actually taken their cue from that Star Trek: TNG episode where Riker and Ro get shifted out of phase with the universe but everyone thinks they're dead...if so, I'm hoping that they come up with an explanation for the eyes that does make us all facepalm.
    *cough* Geordi, not Riker :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

New monster; the Fisher King who is played by three people: Game of Thrones giant actor Neil Fingleton, who fills his enormous, horned suit; Peter Serafinowicz, the Shaun of the Dead actor, and Corey Taylor, the lead singer of Slipknot, who contribute the Fisher King's speaking and screaming voice, respectively.

• What a disappointing non event of a villain he turned out to be.

The pissing sonic sunglasses are still there too...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    What a disappointing non event of a villain he turned out to be.

The pissing sonic sunglasses are still there too...
    Yep.  Shame because the first episode was so much better.

The hologram is the new "... and then I woke up".
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I actually fell asleep and missed half of it. !!
  • frankus said:

*cough* Geordi, not Riker :p
    Oops, yes. Dodgy memory/age/all that.

Was pretty close :)
    <space for hire>
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    First part last week was brilliant. This week was a disappointing follow up. Stupid unthreatening alien baddie with a vagina for a face, looked like something from the low budget era as it shuffled around slowly. Dr Who must be the world's most inconsistent writing for a 'successful' programme, which has to fall at the feet of producer Moffatt. Please please can we get a producer that is up to the job.