The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscream;89372" said:
    suspiciousminds said:

So in theory then, william hartnoll was the first "doctor" long before the last day of the time war?

He was the first Doctor long before the first day of that particular Time War. As I recall, there were at least two Time Wars involving the Time Lords.

John Hurt's Doctor, however, came into being in the middle of the Time War:

Note that he regenerates into a young John Hurt, so a fair amount of time (in his timeline) must've elapsed between then and the 50th anniversary episode.
    Ahh, cheers for that,
    Have a wisdom!:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think there should be a McGann mini series.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17620
    tFB Trader
    holnrew said:
    I agree. 

That minisode made me wonder what might have been. McGann is a great actor and I'd love to see what he would have done with the character given more time. 
  • McGann did do a few audio stories. I haven't listened to them but they're meant to be good I think.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • holnrew said:
    I agree. 

That minisode made me wonder what might have been. McGann is a great actor and I'd love to see what he would have done with the character given more time. 
    Well, we've seen the end of the Time War, so it would make sense for us to see the start (although he seemed to be avoiding it). Perhaps he might've tried (and failed) to stop it?
    <space for hire>
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    edited November 2013
    McGann did do a few audio stories. I haven't listened to them but they're meant to be good I think.
    I enjoyed some of them... 

There's one where he turns up on a world being attacked by a being who feeds on fear and anger - he made it run away by showing it his dreams :D

Just watched the 50th Anniversary episode. Really loved it.
    Just in case someone hasn't watched it 
    [spoiler vision]
    I'd been expecting a return of the Time Lords ever since the Daleks kept come back. 
    Really liked the performances by everyone involved.

Will be interesting though - Capaldi will be a Doctor who doesn't need to feel guilt and sorrow for his past - yet has a face just right for both emotions... first Doctor since the reboot who will be able to be totally and completely full of hope and happy and he's the one with the saddest face...
    [/spoiler vision]
  • wibble said:
    Anyone else watch The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot?

Some nice moments in it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

Yes enjoyed it but went on a bit but amazing cast!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I want their tshirts
    My V key is broken
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I actually like that .. good find .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Orla Brady has just been anounced as cast for the Christmas episode.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    edited November 2013
    Lixarto said:
    Orla Brady has just been anounced as cast for the Christmas episode.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a533288/orla-brady-to-star-in-matt-smiths-final-doctor-who-episode.html

Nice ....

Thanks!
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Also...

This is pretty much why I figured the Time Lords would have to come back fairly sharp-ish after the Doctor-who-wasn't thing came out. It's already established that they're the only ones who could extend the regeneration limit, and he's only got one left after Christmas.
    <space for hire>
    Also...

This is pretty much why I figured the Time Lords would have to come back fairly sharp-ish after the Doctor-who-wasn't thing came out. It's already established that they're the only ones who could extend the regeneration limit, and he's only got one left after Christmas.
    He's gone none left - isn't Matt Smith Doctor number 13? Weren't there supposed to be 12 regenerations? So Matt Smith is the last Time Lord ... :-)

• Fretwired said:
    Also...

He's gone none left - isn't Matt Smith Doctor number 13? Weren't there supposed to be 12 regenerations? So Matt Smith is the last Time Lord ... :-)
    Matt Smith is 11 (12 if you count The War Doctor), so he has one or two regenerations left.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    edited November 2013
    Fretwired said:
    Doctor number 13? Weren't there supposed to be 12 regenerations? So Matt Smith is the last Time Lord ... :-)
    Aha...I hadn't spotted that David Tennant's Doctor used up one of his regenerations (here).

Matt Smith was the 11th, until we found out about Hurt's (so Smith was the 12th)...so that's 12 regenerations but only 12 Doctors.
    <space for hire>
    Fretwired said:
    Doctor number 13? Weren't there supposed to be 12 regenerations? So Matt Smith is the last Time Lord ... :-)
    Aha...I hadn't spotted that David Tennant's Doctor used up one of his regenerations (here).

Matt Smith was the 11th, until we found out about Hurt's (so Smith was the 12th)...so that's 12 regenerations but only 12 Doctors.
    I misscounted .. you're right - 12 Doctors, although in Who folklore he's only allowed 12 regenerations. I'm guessing the Time Lords may bequeath a further 12 regenerations [as they now haven't been destroyed] .... ;-)

• Fretwired said:
    I misscounted .. you're right - 12 Doctors, although in Who folklore he's only allowed 12 regenerations. I'm guessing the Time Lords may bequeath a further 12 regenerations [as they now haven't been destroyed] .... ;-)
    Aye. Don't forget that 12 regenerations means 13 Doctors, though (your previous post seems to imply 12).

In any case...yes, it's pretty much a given that he's going to get a bunch more regenerations at some point, because they certainly don't intend for Capaldi to be the last (otherwise why would they intentionally use up a regeneration when it could be explained away easily enough?).
    <space for hire>
    Valeyard.