The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1757
    I don't understand the upset. As mentioned before - they will probably come back to the male character in the following series, so it will be only a little part of the whole show.

If they went with a female actor though - it should be Caitlyn Jenner IMHO:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 996
    I thought they'd already done plastic doll aliens?
  • Must admit, as a long time fan of the show i think its wrong to change the gender because its not inkeeping with the original concept.
    The doc should be male as it has been all along.
    Better scripts is all that was needed, not such a drastic change of the main character, but its typical bbc tbh, i'm half expecting a support phone number at the end of the show for anyone whos been affected by any of the content in the storylines just like they do at the end of virtually every crappy storyline in eastenders.
    IMO missy was a poor concept but its obvious now moffat/bbc have been slowly building up to a female doc.
    its causing quite a bit of debate tho - yesterday in work a guy asked my opinion to which i said i dont agree with it, next thing i'm being called a sexist old bigot - never mind the fact that he thought it a good idea cause shes hot!
    Do we know how long her contract is?
    Could it be just for the xmas special?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    Being a sad old git I'm in a Dr who fan group on Farcebook. It's been on meltdown since the announcement, very heated and people getting banned. This really has created a massive reaction, I'm sure they can't have anticipated the upset. It will be interesting to see if it is a winning strategy or if they have roasted the golden goose.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    tFB Trader

Christmas Special trailer.  And guess whos back

• Come out a bit early hasnt it this year.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Chris Chibnall, the show runner, has chosen .... drum roll ... Bradley Walsh as the new assistant. And guess what? He has worked with him before .. what is this jobs for mates. Should have chosen a younger woman or guy .. I can't stand Walsh.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72829
    I have a bad feeling that they're going to piss away the best opportunity to do something interesting that they've had since the reboot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm going to reserve judgement on Bradley until I've seen him in the series. When Catherine Tate was announced as being in Dr Who I thought it was a disaster. I hated her comedy. However, her role of Donna was well written and superbly acted, and she was probably my favourite assistant.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    mmmm..bow to public opinion and cast a female Doctor, cast awful assistant/companion , ratings tank, get rid of female Doctor cos it's her fault..."hey at least we tried"
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The Walsh thing has me concerned to be honest. I hope to be probed wrong.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ennspek said:
    You and your bloody probing requirements....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23350
    I like Bradley Walsh on The Chase.  As a Doctor Who assistant.... well, you can't say they're not doing anything different.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    ennspek said:
    You and your bloody probing requirements....
    One lives in hope....
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2944
    He was surprisingly good in the UK version of Law and Order.  At this stage its unconfirmed and if i remember correctly Jodie Whittaker wasn't even rumoured.  This could be true and if so lets see how it plays or it could be a great big red herring.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31021
    Useless piece of muso info.

Guy Pratt's (bassist to the stars) old man, Mike Pratt, (also Jeff Randell in Randell and Hopkirk) wrote a large proportion of the Dr Who scripts from mid 60's til his death in mid 70's.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Farewell to Peter Capaldi this evening - I thought he was an excellent Doctor. Not sure what to make of Whittaker and her team of assistants. Keep an open mind I suppose and see what happens.

The Christmas episode looks half decent though.

Poor IMHO ... too self indulgent.

I think that it was one of the better xmas episodes, by a long shot. My big negative was the woeful casting of Mark Gatiss for the character we find out that he is. Sad to see Capaldi go, he was the best Dr Who for me. Looking forward to the new direction
    Telegraph review ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/doctor-twice-upon-time-review-cue-jodie-whittaker-raft-self/

From what I've read Jodi's Doctor will be aimed at young people - it will need an improvement in the scripts which have been dire for a few years now.