The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Well that didn't last long ...

A source at the BBC has revealed that filming of the new series of Doctor Who has been SUSPENDED after the new Timelord Jodie Whittaker has been unable to park the Tardis.

http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/doctor-who-filming-suspended-as-new-timelord-cant-park-tardis/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    To think I was recently described as being full of shit and having an agenda :lol:

It's not inconceivable to think of Dr Who as being female, so I'm happy to go with it for now. If the new series turns out to be shite that's the scriptwriters fault *NOT* because a woman got cast as the lead.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    To think I was recently described as being full of shit and having an agenda :lol:

It's not inconceivable to think of Dr Who as being female, so I'm happy to go with it for now. If the new series turns out to be shite that's the scriptwriters fault *NOT* because a woman got cast as the lead.
    I slightly disagree. Moffat did admit that because Missy was a woman she couldn't be seen to be too nasty and evil. Having a woman will mean the scripts will be different - I miss the darker scripts (think Tennant and early Capaldi). I'm not sure the writing team would want to do this with a woman in charge. We'll have to wait and see - I just hope it doesn't become even more sanitised and preachy. It was bad enough when Bill was 'rescued' by a puddle of water. The Doctor is far from perfect and has done some horrible things in the past.

Time will tell. I don't expect much as the BBC has had years to fix the issues and failed.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12037
    I thought that timelords were hermaphrodites? 
    I think the important thing is the effect on the fan base:
    If this decision was driven by PC-policies, but then it reduces the popularity of the show with the fans, then it's a bad decision: entertainment production should not be hampered by political agendas unless there's a really important point to be made (e.g. it's important to reflect race and gender ratios accurately when showing hospital consultants in dramas), but having a female Dr Who is not going to affect any female's aspirations surely? What's the point if it's not adding to the show in a way the fans want?

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7310
    My facebook feed is full of this this morning. Now I couldn't give 2 shits about Dr Who but this is clearly stupid. It's just given all kind of fucking morons an excuse to get their SJW on.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm against the casting because I thought Whittaker was rubbish in Broadchurch.

She was good in Attack the Block, but since then I've not been impressed.

I wanted Olivia Coleman.
    I still want Olivia Coleman :heart: 
    I don't think they would be able to cast her in something kids watch, since she has appeared naked on TV in the past
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940

I wanted Olivia Coleman.
    I don't think they would be able to cast her in something kids watch, since she has appeared naked on TV in the past
    Shes been on Doctor Who already

I wanted Olivia Coleman.
    So has the new girl ... having sex on the stairs ... Tennant's been naked on TV as well. Don't think that should bar anyone from a role.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4297

I wanted Olivia Coleman.
    Interesting you bring that up in a discussion touching on casting and sexism - Mark Rylance voices Flop in kids show Bing and he's had un-simulated oral sex on screen. I wonder if Kerry Fox (in the same film) would ever get cast in kids TV after that....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Lewy said:

I wanted Olivia Coleman.
    Interesting you bring that up in a discussion touching on casting and sexism - Mark Rylance voices Flop in kids show Bing and he's had un-simulated oral sex on screen. I wonder if Kerry Fox (in the same film) would ever get cast in kids TV after that....
    Can't remember her name now but I watched a programme about a woman who did kid's TV. It's a bit of a low paid dead end for an actor ( well, better than no job I guess) and how hard it was to get out of that unless you are prepared to sex it up a bit ( photo shoots in your undies type stuff). So, doing sexy stuff on TV and not getting into kid's TV is nobody's worry really as I understand it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Lewy said:

I wanted Olivia Coleman.
    Can't remember her name now but I watched a programme about a woman who did kid's TV. It's a bit of a low paid dead end for an actor ( well, better than no job I guess) and how hard it was to get out of that unless you are prepared to sex it up a bit ( photo shoots in your undies type stuff). So, doing sexy stuff on TV and not getting into kid's TV is nobody's worry really as I understand it. 
    I thought they were really prissy on kid's TV, at least 10 years ago 
    Maybe they have lightened up now
    Lewy said:

I wanted Olivia Coleman.
    I thought they were really prissy on kid's TV, at least 10 years ago 
    Maybe they have lightened up now
    I suppose it depends if you classify Dr Who as kid's TV but, for example, if you looked up Matt Lucas or Catherine Tate ( both Dr's companions)  on line whilst you wouldn't find much nudity you'd certainly find a lot of swearing and content inappropriate for children ( as you would with Capaldi). IIRC Tennant was cast after being in Casanova and Dr Who was rebooted by the man who wrote Queer as Folk.

Kirsten O'Brien's point ( remembered her name now) was more that kid's TV typecasts you and it's then hard to break into more adult work. 

I suspect Olivia Coleman is just too successful these days and wouldn't be tied down to being the Doctor for a couple of years. 
    @EricTheWeary .. you mean like this .... :-)

WARNING: NOT WORK SAFE

Fretwired said:
    @EricTheWeary .. you mean like this .... :-)

WARNING: NOT WORK SAFE

Well, yeh, exactly! :smile: 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31021
    Can anyone clarify if the new Dr Who has been subjected to the 1% Health sector salary cap?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Meet the new Daleks ...

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    I hope we get an effeminate male assistant who insists on tidying up the Tardis and tutting a lot. Could work with David Walliams.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Fretwired said:
    Meet the new Daleks ...

"Exfoliate....Exfoliate...."