The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1703
    edited July 2018
    I liked it.. but then I am a fan.. and a big kid.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I like my doctors to have a bit less prior history.

Capaldi will always be “come the fuck in or fuck the fuck off” for me.. and new girl will always be the depressing mum from Boredchurch.

On that subject - they should have picked Olivia Coleman. She would be an excellent doctor. Or nurse. Or any other dress up. Or down. Or.. er.. ah.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12155

On that subject - they should have picked Olivia Coleman. She would be an excellent doctor. Or nurse. Or any other dress up. Or down. Or.. er.. ah.

We have found your Mary Spender...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

We have found your Mary Spender...
    Oh yes. Olivia... mmmmmm.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    tFB Trader

First episode release date.

DOCTOR WHO TO LAND ON SUNDAY 7th OCTOBER 2018.

THE WOMAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

The last time viewers saw the Doctor, she was falling from her TARDIS so it’s about time for the Doctor to land. This time it’s all change, as Doctor Who is moving to Sunday nights, launching on Sunday 7th October.

Never before in the show’s history has an entire series descended to earth on a Sunday. This year marks a brand new era with a new Showrunner, a new Doctor, new friends and a whole host of new monsters – so it’s only fitting that the new Time Lord will land in a new time zone on BBC One.

Chris Chibnall, Showrunner said “New Doctor, new home! Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor is about to burst into Sunday nights — and make the end of the weekend so much more exciting. Get everybody’s homework done, sort out your Monday clothes, then grab some special Sunday night popcorn, and settle down with all of the family for Sunday night adventures across space and time. (Also, move the sofa away from the wall so parents can hide behind it during the scary bits). The Thirteenth Doctor is falling from the sky and it’s going to be a blast.”

Charlotte Moore, Director of BBC Content said: “With Chris Chibnall at the helm and Jodie Whittaker’s arrival as the new Doctor we are heralding a brand new era for the show and so it feels only right to give it a new home on Sunday nights at the heart of BBC One’s Autumn schedule. ”

Showrunner Chris Chibnall has written the first episode of the brand new series which is titled “The Woman Who Fell to Earth”. With the Doctor on her way it’s only a matter of time before viewers can enjoy being transported out of this world this autumn.

• Cards played very close to the chest by the BBC so far!

No Daleks, Cybermen, Master, Sontarans etc. in trailers....

Would the BBC let them do a series without Daleks?
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Cards played very close to the chest by the BBC so far!

Yup.. I think that's the idea..  From what I know none of the usual suspects will be in the series..  We will see how long that actually lasts though when the viewing figures go down 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23350

No villains at all, I'd imagine.  Just a lot of empathising and hand-holding for the snowflakes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

No villains at all, I'd imagine.  Just a lot of empathising and hand-holding for the snowflakes.
    Well they rejected my script where she goes pro-apartheid, drowns some migrants and eats a poor person's baby.

Well they didn't reject it they said "two seasons after Brexit, send it in again..."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23350
    Philly_Q said:

Well they rejected my script where she goes pro-apartheid, drowns some migrants and eats a poor person's baby.

Well they didn't reject it they said "two seasons after Brexit, send it in again..."
    Yeah, it'll be fine when Jacob Rees-Mogg is Fuhrer Prime Minister.
  • im looking forward to it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    I don't like the idea of Sunday at all. Doesn't feel like a Sunday programme. Meh, they are getting off on the wrong foot if you ask me ....
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Rabs said:

Yup.. I think that's the idea..  From what I know none of the usual suspects will be in the series..  We will see how long that actually lasts though when the viewing figures go down 
    Correct. I have no problem with a female Doctor, although I wouldn't have done it, but it seems that it is designed to push the older viewer away. The new show runner gushed about Jodie .. “She’s absolutely the Doctor, but there’s a new calibration, a new mixture of Doctorishness" .. utter drivel. No major scares though ... it's changing direction.

Have you seen the sonic screwdriver ... :-) Not sure they thought that one through or maybe they did. And the new gang ... Bradley Walsh ... not sure how that will work.

I don't have high hopes for this .. its a new series so you could have come up with an interesting title for the first episode ... they've gone with 'The woman who fell to Earth' .. highly original. I bet that took all of 60 seconds to think of ... hope they spent more time on the script.

Happy to be proven wrong but I have a strange feeling this will be a dud.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I'm very optimistic for the new show overall. As for Bradley Walsh - let's wait and see. I HATED the thought of Catherine Tate in the show, but she was brilliant, she really brought something extra.
  • axisus said:
    I'm very optimistic for the new show overall. As for Bradley Walsh - let's wait and see. I HATED the thought of Catherine Tate in the show, but she was brilliant, she really brought something extra.
    He did an episode of the "Sarah Jane Adventures" and he was pretty good.

He's quite an experienced actor, I'm sure he will do fine.

Bet the governess turns up as a Slitheen sometime in the first season though.
  • To be honest they could actually go back in time and transport hartnell/Pertwee/Baker back to now and make a new series and they would *still* get criticised for it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    To be honest they could actually go back in time and transport hartnell/Pertwee/Baker back to now and make a new series and they would *still* get criticised for it
    To be honest the show's not been very good for sometime - poor scripts and long-winded, complicated story arcs haven't helped. This is the last chance saloon. If viewing figures drop and sales abroad dry up then its curtains.

I actually stopped watching towards the end of the last series. I didn't watch the Christmas special and probably won't bother with this .... Capaldi was very good. Some of the scripts weren't. The first reboot series was the best IMHO.

To be honest they could actually go back in time and transport hartnell/Pertwee/Baker back to now and make a new series and they would *still* get criticised for it
    I think the criticism is fair. They put some terrible stuff out at times, the standard of writing doesn't always match the very high production values. I think this is highlighted by the fact that the writing on American TV series these days is very good, very consistent. Mrs A and daughters binge watch a lot of American TV shows, and you never see an episode and think "that was sooooo bad" it just doesn't happen. I'm a massive Dr Who fan, but there have been stories so bad that I walked out on them, and others that I wish I had.
  • It really does come down to decent scripts and compelling stories, whether the doctor is male, female, straight, gay, white, black, green etc doesn't matter, if it is compelling sci-fi which you can invest in for it's runtime, it will do well.

Peter Capaldi in terms of raw talent is probably one of the best actors ever to play the Doctor, but he (at times, not always) was hampered by stories that didn't work properly or scripts that didn't quite work as a whole.

There were some superb ideas in there, and the occasional attempts to go "hard" sci-fi were very brave, they just had a few too many misses. 

Sometimes it worked (I've written Clara into being a bit of a smug cow, who has become emotionally isolated because I wrote her a love of her life then coldly killed him... I'll have to have her own hubris kill her, proper character led writing albeit a corner he wrote himself into) and sometimes it didnt (that weird episode with the sand in people's eyes).
    axisus said:
    I think the criticism is fair. They put some terrible stuff out at times, the standard of writing doesn't always match the very high production values. I think this is highlighted by the fact that the writing on American TV series these days is very good, very consistent. Mrs A and daughters binge watch a lot of American TV shows, and you never see an episode and think "that was sooooo bad" it just doesn't happen. I'm a massive Dr Who fan, but there have been stories so bad that I walked out on them, and others that I wish I had.
    Wis for that ..

I always found it funny that due to budget constraints they made a 'cheap' episode. These tended to be poor, although one was quite good as the Doctor wasn't in it until the last two minutes (to save money), with zero special effects and a script that seemed to have been knocked off in a coffee break.