The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    tFB Trader
    holnrew said:
    What does the doctor do when it's her time of the month?

She wears a timepon

Probably needs to be bigger on the inside

;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23276
    Well gosh, that's provoked a reaction.  

My first thought was who is she?  Looking at what she's done up to now, I've only seen Attack the Block and Perrier's Bounty and I don't particularly remember her in either although I liked both films.  Then I thought fine, so long as the scripts are OK.  Then I thought I probably won't be watching it anyway so who cares...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33862
    Alnico said:
    octatonic said:
    Alnico said:
    octatonic said:
    Pretty telling that the usual red pill suspects from other threads are the ones frothing at the mouth at this.

Go on then,
    I'll bite at that.

I've never heard that phrase before.
    What does the red pill thing mean?
    I'm not going to summarise it because it will only cause an argument, but have a look at a few of these links and see what you think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/red-pill-mens-rights-anti-feminist-group-who-know-what-women-want/
    http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/internet/2017/02/reddit-the-red-pill-interview-how-misogyny-spreads-online
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/14/the-red-pill-reddit-modern-misogyny-manosphere-men
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-red-pill-reddit-2013-8?r=US&IR=T
    Ohhhhhhhhh

THAT'S what it means!

Right then.
    Well, I'm off out of this now to go back to my happy place/rose tinted world of Steve Vai LP's and classic cars.
    I want NO part of this at all.

The new Doctor is a pretty girl who's almost certainly a talented actress and an intelligent woman who will do well.

Have a nice evening everyone.

@octatonic ........Thanks for the links and the tip.

Very wise, methinks. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    octatonic said:
    Alnico said:
    octatonic said:
    Alnico said:
    octatonic said:
    Pretty telling that the usual red pill suspects from other threads are the ones frothing at the mouth at this.

Go on then,
    I'll bite at that.

I've never heard that phrase before.
    What does the red pill thing mean?
    I'm not going to summarise it because it will only cause an argument, but have a look at a few of these links and see what you think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/red-pill-mens-rights-anti-feminist-group-who-know-what-women-want/
    http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/internet/2017/02/reddit-the-red-pill-interview-how-misogyny-spreads-online
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/14/the-red-pill-reddit-modern-misogyny-manosphere-men
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-red-pill-reddit-2013-8?r=US&IR=T
    Ohhhhhhhhh

THAT'S what it means!

Right then.
    Well, I'm off out of this now to go back to my happy place/rose tinted world of Steve Vai LP's and classic cars.
    I want NO part of this at all.

The new Doctor is a pretty girl who's almost certainly a talented actress and an intelligent woman who will do well.

Have a nice evening everyone.

@octatonic ........Thanks for the links and the tip.

Very wise, methinks. :)
    CUCK
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2943
    Ive eaten my nachos now,  they were very nice.  

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2017

I have nothing to add, except, I checked with my daughter and she says she will be more interested in watching Dr Who now that the main protagonist identifies as female. Will they call her Mrs Who?

I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I have added anything to this thread. Ridiculous.    
    Fine for your daughter .. she's sexist ..  ;-) :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    Headline... "Fictional Time Travellers Don't Have Vaginas, Isist Morons" 
    edited July 2017
    Headline... "Fictional Time Travellers Don't Have Vaginas, Isist Morons" 
    Best quote from the twat on BBC  News .. "In choosing a woman Doctor Who moves into the 21st Century .."

He's obviously not seen the show.

In any case Joanne Lumley got their first ..

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24698
    I'm disgusted that the BBC have cast a human as a Time Lord. Again!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24698
    Now, of you don't mind, I'm going to go and watch BSG and complain about Starbuck becoming a woman, and Boomer changing from being a black man to an Asian woman, and Colonel Tigh from a black man to a white man.

oh. I forgot. All those changes made it awesome. Looks like fuck all matters except the script.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Fretwired said:

I have nothing to add, except, I checked with my daughter and she says she will be more interested in watching Dr Who now that the main protagonist identifies as female. Will they call her Mrs Who?

I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I have added anything to this thread. Ridiculous.    
    Fine for your daughter .. she's sexist ..  ;-) :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4673
    The Dr has two hearts so why not two set of genitalia?
    The Dr has two hearts so why not two set of genitalia?
    That's actually why Tilda Swinton would have been good.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Women drivers ... :-)

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    I don't care as long as there's a significant improvement in the scripts. Capaldi's talents were wasted IMHO.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12452
    Philly_Q said:

My first thought was who is she?  Looking at what she's done up to now, I've only seen Attack the Block and Perrier's Bounty and I don't particularly remember her in either although I liked both films.  Then I thought fine, so long as the scripts are OK.  Then I thought I probably won't be watching it anyway so who cares...
    Not a Broadchurch fan then? She was very good in that. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    perhaps this is the BBC's way of expressing support for the LBGT  community...?

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I don't care as long as there's a significant improvement in the scripts. Capaldi's talents were wasted IMHO.

Too true sadly, whenever he did get a genuinely great bit of writing (his anti-war speech being the best example) he knocked it out of the park.

He also suffered from the way Clara's character developed into someone insufferably smug.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    boogieman said:
    Philly_Q said:

Not a Broadchurch fan then? She was very good in that. 
    No, I know it got good reviews, but I have trouble committing to any ongoing TV series, I always end up missing episodes.  I know there are loads of other ways of watching things these days, but I don't have any means of recording TV and I don't have the time or energy for box sets (and my chronically slow broadband makes catchup services a pain in the arse).

As I've said before, I don't really watch Dr Who any more - although I'll probably be curious enough to watch the next couple of episodes - so ultimately I'm not really bothered who plays the character now.

But I wonder if the writers might've created a rod for their own backs here?  The easiest thing to do would be to completely ignore the fact that "she" used to be "he" and go for a gender-neutral costume, but they won't do that.  Which means every costume/hair/makeup decision, every single reference to gender or sexuality, will have to be subjected to minute scrutiny.  At best, the "ooh Doctor you've changed" comments will become crass and tiresome... at worst, almost everything they say or do has the potential to be seen as sexist, transphobic, homophobic, tediously PC or upsetting to the traditionalists.

They'll have to walk a fine line.