The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1100
    I can see Utd giving us a game today, they'll suddenly decide to 'turn up', or will they roll over to stop City winning it the title?

I can see Tottenham giving City a few goals on Tuesday just to stop us winning it though it might be over after today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 92
    Not that it should be’ but don’t think we’ll ( West Ham ) make it to difficult for City on Sunday.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All the London clubs have it in for us so I won't expect any favours haha. Fulham rolled over yesterday. They never put in any effort.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27746
    I can see Utd giving us a game today,
    Surely, if Palace can splatter ManU 4-0, then anything less than a 7-0 victory to Arsenal is effectively a defeat?

:D

And if Spurs beat ManC / SheffU and Villa lose to Liverpool and Palace, Spurs could still make the Champions League next season.

So, Europa League it is then ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not sure who they want to win the league lol, their blue neighbours or us. But I've just seen the team news and its the same side as last time out vs Bournemouth so anything less than a win is unacceptable.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14469
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure who they want to win the league lol, their blue neighbours or us. But I've just seen the team news and it’s the same side as last time out vs Bournemouth so anything less than a win is unacceptable.
    I’m behind you today and for the title 
    tFB Trader
    I think you'll beat Norwich especially over two legs, you've still got enough good players and winners in your squad. The final is the real lottery I think, so you just have to get there and hope for the best
    Good luck for you guys shortly 
    will watch some of it but need to give the dog a good stroll 
    Cheers, may the best side win! I think if by some miracle we get through, I'd prefer to play Leeds as we tend to play better against the better teams, so good luck to you guys as well haha
    Between you and Soton and 4 regular EFL games we acquired 1 point- So form this year certainly doesn’t favour us
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    A question is: can we be sure that The Guardian is a trustworthy and reliable source of information?  There is very little about the state of things at Everton FC in other publications. 
    Check Google and no shortage of articles but the guardian does appear to be ahead of the game on this - Good post by the Telegraph this weekend as well 

Plus 777 own Standard Leige in Belgium - Game cancelled this weekend as fan protests stopped the team bus arriving 

it looks great news for Everton that the 777 deal looks buried - 777 just look bad news 
    I'm not sure who they want to win the league lol, their blue neighbours or us. But I've just seen the team news and it’s the same side as last time out vs Bournemouth so anything less than a win is unacceptable.
    I’m behind you today and for the title 
    I've spoken to many neutrals and they all want a change in who wins it as it's getting boring with City running away with it each year. For me I still think City will win their games, even if we win today and vs Everton next weekend, can't rely on Tottenham to help us out lol. That Villa defeat last month proved costly. Fine margins and all that.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    Rocker said:
    A question is: can we be sure that The Guardian is a trustworthy and reliable source of information?  There is very little about the state of things at Everton FC in other publications. 
    Check Google and no shortage of articles but the guardian does appear to be ahead of the game on this - Good post by the Telegraph this weekend as well 

Plus 777 own Standard Leige in Belgium - Game cancelled this weekend as fan protests stopped the team bus arriving 

it looks great news for Everton that the 777 deal looks buried - 777 just look bad news 
    There was never anything good about 777
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3089
    edited May 12
    Goalkeeping error in the Womens final. It's the one thing that keeps me from watching the women's game more. It just seems to happen time and time again, and at the highest level too.

Has effectively killed the game at 3-0 with 30 minutes to go.

If I pay to watch football I want to go without fear that somewhere in the 90mins a calamitous fuck up won't ruin what may well have been an entertaining match.

Women's football has come on leaps and bounds and the football is decent and entertaining to watch, but that goalkeeping position really needs some work.

A slightly different question: Are the goals too big for the women's game? It could be argued the keepers are 6 foot + but in the main the pool of potential players to choose from is going to be much, much smaller than in the men's game and therefore the quality of the keepers lower. I would think reducing the goal size would help, just as it has done in the kids game.

Who else played in full size goals aged 12/13 when it was just a case of who had the biggest kid up front likely won the game? The goals need to be proportionate to age and gender, both affected by size. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2813
    I have a similar viewpoint on the size of pitches, goals etc.  I certainly think in cricket the length of the pitch isn too long to average height and muscle to allow women to bowl fast bouncing balls compared to much taller stringer men.

sev112 said:
    I have a similar viewpoint on the size of pitches, goals etc.  I certainly think in cricket the length of the pitch isn too long to average height and muscle to allow women to bowl fast bouncing balls compared to much taller stringer men.

Trouble is, at grass roots, and in our schools, if you are a girl on the tall side does the coach immediately shove you in goal?

There's not going to be many six footers out there to increase the pot of potential. And as we all know, the bigger the pot is the higher the likelihood of finding real talent, and some of those girls better elsewhere on the pitch in a position they get most satisfaction from. Enjoying the game also a huge factor.

Can't be much fun for a tall girl with little goalkeeping ability picking the ball out of the net each week, or indeed a smaller girl talented in the position doing the same just because she's not tall enough. 
    Job done, very unconvincing but this is the business end of the season and a win is a win. Last season I reckon we would have dropped points. Now to support Tottenham for one evening only on Tuesday haha. 

Proud of the team for pushing City a bit further this season til the last day. But they'll beat West Ham on the final day and I can see Tottenham rolling over to stop us winning the title! But then if Liverpool beat Villa tomorrow there's something for them to play for.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    @Shrews, you might have a point about the goal size in Women’s Football but having watched men’s football for more years than I care to remember and must conclude that the goal size is too small. Most professional footballers could not hit a barn wall from inside the barn. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 92
    But they'll beat West Ham on the final day 
    ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27746
    and I can see Tottenham rolling over to stop us winning the title!
    ManC’s last PL 10 games v Spurs;

W 3
    D 2
    L 5

I *can* see both Liverpool and Palace beating Villa.  Spurs should beat SheffUtd, so a win v ManC would then see Spurs into the CL.

Don’t give that set of results more than a 10% chance, but it’s not completely unrealistic …

Then Everton beat Arsenal.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    West Ham will make City work for a win, they are not going to roll over for Moyes last game (which is also a game the new manager will be watching). They may be fighting for their futures.

Spurs won't be thinking about Arsenal. The fans might be but the players and management won't. They will be going for it. 

City are going to need to work hard for the two wins.

Good to see a title race go to the last day and could be Fever Pitch level of drama to come! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Cracking game last night Villa v LFC - Kind of ironic that Duran Duran scored 2 goals one which was some kind of reflex reaction 

So tonight Villa will be wanting a City win or at least a draw - So apart from Villa and City fans wanting a City win , then I’d imagine most will be wanting Spurs to win or at least draw

Spurs could do their rivals a massive favour tonight - When was it ever reciprocated, or indeed needed to be 
    tFB Trader
    I think you'll beat Norwich especially over two legs, you've still got enough good players and winners in your squad. The final is the real lottery I think, so you just have to get there and hope for the best
    Good luck for you guys shortly 
    will watch some of it but need to give the dog a good stroll 
    Cheers, may the best side win! I think if by some miracle we get through, I'd prefer to play Leeds as we tend to play better against the better teams, so good luck to you guys as well haha
    All to play for - I wonder if the EFL has ever had 0-0 in both games before, on the first leg