Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MXR Analogman 'Duke of tone'

What's Hot

Comments

• My brother-in-law in the states has snagged me a Prince of Tone and is bringing it over at Christmas. Glad to have got one and saved myself a few quid on getting a Duke. Would be interested to do my own personal side-by-side comparison at some point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    For those who have the Duke, can you comment on how the volume knob performs? 

On the mini-Timmy it's an awkward sweep (you have to basically make like a safecracker to find the position where it stop being way below unity and before it's way too loud - when you see board shots they are all set exactly the same - but no reviewers ever commented on it) so wondering if they did anything similarly odd on the Duke.  
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:

On the mini-Timmy it's an awkward sweep (you have to basically make like a safecracker to find the position where it stop being way below unity and before it's way too loud - when you see board shots they are all set exactly the same - but no reviewers ever commented on it) so wondering if they did anything similarly odd on the Duke.  
    I tried one the other day. On the O.D and boost the volume it nice and smooth but there is a significant volume drop on the distortion side. You have to turn it an extra 1/4 up to re balance. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    My order from Andertons has been delayed again. Now saying 21st October. 
    jw_H-535 said:
    TimmyO said:

I tried one the other day. On the O.D and boost the volume it nice and smooth but there is a significant volume drop on the distortion side. You have to turn it an extra 1/4 up to re balance. 
    Cool. I think vol drop when changing clipping is normal/to be expected 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Yeah that's pretty common with a lot of pedals in my experience - more clipping means more compression which needs more makeup gain to compensate.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    normula1 said:
    I built a Fuzzdog clone for IIRC £50ish and it sounded identical to the Helix model so £179 is way over the odds
    *Some assembly required
    edited October 2022
    Nerine said:
    I think customs are unexpectedly busy, for unknown reasons that no one could possibly predict
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    roberty said:
    Nerine said:
    I think customs are unexpectedly busy, for unknown reasons that no one could possibly predict
    GuitarGuitar have them in stock:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/220901391928027--mxr-duke-of-tone-overdrive?srsltid=AR5OiO2sCqOW6_5PotkoyOZlW_vkwiFuC2crGbl2CfQ60jmDqhuOokJcTKs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Fishboy7 said:
    What's next. The Peasant of Tone?
    ...anyone else read this think Pheasant of tone??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Nope, still waiting on mine!
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    mine just arrived
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Andertons video is up.  The best bit is when they plugged in the Tone City one..their faces couldn't hold the laugher on how close they sound.

Andertons video is up.  The best bit is when they plugged in the Tone City one..their faces couldn't hold the laugher on how close they sound.

Blimey that Tone City nails it doesn’t it 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited October 2022

TimmyO said:

Yup!  I mean where there dial is on the pedal is at a different position but that is expected.  The sound, however, I could not tell the difference!  Lee's face says it all really.

I am surprised they left it in but i guess to them, a sale of Tone City is still a sale. 

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    I imagine the markup on the Tone City is the same as the MXR. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    roberty said:
    Nerine said:
    GuitarGuitar have them in stock:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/220901391928027--mxr-duke-of-tone-overdrive?srsltid=AR5OiO2sCqOW6_5PotkoyOZlW_vkwiFuC2crGbl2CfQ60jmDqhuOokJcTKs
    God that's pricey. Sheesh

TimmyO said:

Yup!  I mean where there dial is on the pedal is at a different position but that is expected.  The sound, however, I could not tell the difference!  Lee's face says it all really.

I am surprised they left it in but i guess to them, a sale of Tone City is still a sale. 

There are no magic components. I'd be curious to see how they're built, side by side