Jeff Beck

What's Hot

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited January 2023
    I haven't been on the forum for a long time, but can't think of anywhere more appropriate to express my feelings of loss ( even grief ? ) at the loss of THE electric guitar player. After the close losses of the last few months, that I dealt with almost stoically, I was amazed at myself for shedding more than one tear at this news. Jeff epitomised the idea of a guitar player. I have just enjoyed a three hour JB wake, from Blow by Blow, through Guitar Shop, to Emotion and and Commotion. All brilliant. Probs won't post here much in future if at all but , thanks JB.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27146
    I've never been a fan but there's no question the guy was one of the all-time greats of the instrument. 

RIP
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Even if you don't listen to his music you've probably used a Seymour Duncan JB

https://youtu.be/hgBhfsJhk-8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    No way, gods don't die.

Blow by Blow, the biggest influence on my playing.

Thanks Jeff.
  • I think of Jeff as one of the holy trinity. Possibly the best of all of them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24841
    edited January 2023
    This is a big one. Really became aware of him when he played Cause We Ended as Lovers on the Secret Policeman’s Ball around 1981. A sublime piece of guitar playing. 

There are few players have who followed their own path with quite the single-mindedness that he did. No one else really sounds like Jeff Beck. 

I went to Eric Clapton’s New Year Party at Woking Leisure Centre this year. I couldn’t help thinking (though he looked, played and sang really well) that one day I’ll wake up to the news he’s no longer with us. Not a day I look forward to…

This generation of players need to be treasured, while they still can.

RIP Jeff - you were one of the very, very best. And thank you…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13951
    edited January 2023
    I wasn't a massive fan, but a keen admirer. However, his rendition of 'A Day In The Life' for the George Martin album is stunning, one of my favourite guitar instrumentals, superb tone and delicate emotional playing at all the right places.

I don't like it when people we grew up listening to start leaving us, reminds me that the clock never stops ticking and one day, one hour and one minute has my name on it...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    edited January 2023
    Oh FFS that's terrible news.  He was always on my bucket list of people to see live. RIP to an icon.

To me he was like Holdsworth, if you know how great he was you knew again often copied but nobody could really sound like him. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4848
    RIP Jeff, a true genius and legend, will be sorely missed, the guitarists guitarist.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• RIP. I had the Beck , Bogart and Appice album on cassette growing up and wore it out trying to steal those licks. Amazing player. He always seemed to be reaching for something new through his whole life/career. What a dude. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    I remember sitting round a campfire about 19 years old with a few friends and listening to  BBA.

It was like I was hearing music for the first time.

Rip Jeff.
  • Oddly enough his induction into the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame came up in my YouTube feed last night with him playing with Jimmy Page. What a loss, but boy what and inspiration. Last time I saw him was with Eric Clapton at the O2. Sucj a Rock God with a stage presence that would put people half his age to shame.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14315
    tFB Trader
    Only just heard the news and totally gutted - I first got into Beck around the time of There and Back then quickly found out about Wired and Blow by Blow, both of which have been mighty influential to many players - I've seen him live 4 maybe 5 times - Guitar Workshop is a total master piece - I know what will be on my play list today - I know it will come to us all one day but 78 is no age these days - His work will last and influence many guitar players for many more years - RIP Jeff
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Probably not most peoples first choice, but I first heard JB in my teens when he played on Blaze of Glory for Jon Bon Jovi. Really an exqusit solo and one of the first where I heard whammy tricks and slide together.

It was years before I found out just how big a name he was and what his contribution to music was.

Great player.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    The man was a musical genius.

RIP Jeff Beck

https://youtu.be/howz7gVecjE

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    RIP Jeff Beck, truly unique and a master.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I found out last night that this legendary player has died.

His touch, tone and his maverick rock god style are unmistakable and there will never be another. I'm gutted and wiping away the tears.

He was so familiar and modest, like a mate. No matter how many times over the last 40 years I have tried to work out his tracks, esp GPPH, there is always some element of mystery. What a guy. What a loss. At least he can have a great jam with Jimi and SRV, etc, etc. 

Love you, Jeff! Xx
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    The great and sadly, late Mike Caswell showcasing Jeff Beck's style

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14315
    tFB Trader
    Kebabkid said:
    The great and sadly, late Mike Caswell showcasing Jeff Beck's style

It is alright showing how to play Two Rivers but those notes are not on my guitar - Not sure if the guitar is faulty or me (I suspect the latter) 
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 705
    I read the news today, oh boy...

Jeff Beck was the only guitarist whose playing always raised the hairs on the back of my neck - every time I heard him, from his earliest Yardbirds work onwards.

RIP Jeff
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here