Jeff Beck

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 2023
    welshboyo said: 

I just hope that the BBC don't highlight the legacy he has left with Hi Ho Silver Fucking Lining.....

the really sad thing,   in the part of the world I came from,  he will largely only be remembered for High Ho Silver Lining,  it being the "anthem" of the "Young Farmers" clubs,  and was played to death at many a "barn disco" in the 70s and 80s 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Rest easy Jeff , you never seemed to compromise or capitulate , you really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end all those years ago at the nia with bozzio and hymas ....

X

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s hard to believe ,he always looks fit as a flea , can you just catch meningitis then ? 
    It’s not long ago he was touring & looking in full fettle playing with Johnny depp .
    awfully sad , so influential & a founder of great rock & fusion 
    It’s hard to believe ,he always looks fit as a flea , can you just catch meningitis then ? 

yep -  I had it when I was 20 months old  and we lost one of Mrs Berts cousins to it (he was about 20 and fit as a butchers) a few years back
  • bertie said:
    It’s hard to believe ,he always looks fit as a flea , can you just catch meningitis then ? 

yep -  I had it when I was 20 months old  and we lost one of Mrs Berts cousins to it (he was about 20 and fit as a butchers) a few years back
    That’s so awful , can you have preventative jabs like for pneumonia ?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7353
    Back in the early 90s I watched a four part TV drama named "Frankie's House" that involved the life of a photo journalist in the Vietnam war.  I was struck by the backing music all the way through it in much the same way as when I heard the Clapton/Kamen sound track for "Edge of Darkness".  I suspected that the guitar playing in Frankie's House was Jeff Beck, but I kept missing the credits and it was only about 5 years later when I saw the soundtrack CD in the bargain shelf of a record shop like HMV that I confirmed the score was by Jeff Beck and Jed Lieber.

Jeff Beck's mastery for creating atmospheric and ambient musical sounds with his guitar blended in so well with the screen action that they became one.  Even his treatment of the old standard "Hi-Heel Sneakers", and "White Mice" that would otherwise have just been an ordinary 12-bar piece, is uniquely Beck.  "Cathouse" is an encapsulation of his genius on that tremolo bar in a faster and less "soundtracky" piece of music.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23013
    Oh Jeff, RIP...

"There was Jeff Beck, on Radio 1’s Roundtable, saying he “couldn’t believe it was a girl” playing guitar on their single Race With the Devil. "
    Was he talking about Girlschool?  (Kelly Johnson RIP)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    My wife told me when I got in from band practice last night. Absolutely gutted, he was a huge talent and an influence on so many players. Saw him live a few times and wish it had been more. RIP maestro.
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    edited January 2023
    bertie said:

No, it lives in the back of your throat. Warning signs are a rash that doesn’t go away when you press down on it with a glass tumbler, stiff neck, aversion to lights. It really is an awful killer. My mates daughter woke up one morning saying she didn’t feel well and by lunchtime she was dead, a week before her 16th birthday. It really is that quick. It generally turns into septicaemia very quickly and if you get that it’s usually curtains. 
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2023

Meningitis really just means severe inflammation of the membrane around your brain and spinal column (i.e. the "meninges").  It can be caused by quite a lot of things including the various common bacteria, viral infection, a brain haemhorrage, and even certain medications.  Immunisation by vaccines only works for certain forms of meningitis and the vaccination isn't always effective.  In a lot of cases the tell-tale skin rash that doesn't go away when pressed (caused by the body fighting the infection) is sufficient warning for antibiotics to be administered in time, but there are cases where there is no rash, where antibiotics wouldn't work anyway (viral infection), or where it is diagnosed too late for anything to be done.  We will probably never know what caused Jeff Beck's meningitis.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    When you look at the all time greats - Hendrix, Gibbons, Eddie, Iommi, Gilmour, Marr  etc, etc, etc, - they all looked up to him. 

• It’s hard to believe ,he always looks fit as a flea , can you just catch meningitis then ? 
    It’s not long ago he was touring & looking in full fettle playing with Johnny depp .
    awfully sad , so influential & a founder of great rock & fusion 
    I've added to my growing list of musical regrets that I never got to see him play live. I missed my best chance last year when he played about 300m from my front door but I somehow only found out on the day.

He was one of those names that I knew, and knew was influention but never got round to listeneing to, until I bought Amused to Death in 1992 and had my mind blown by his playing. I've just listened to What God wants and it's still astonishing.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    boogieman said:
    welshboyo said:b

I just hope that the BBC don't highlight the legacy he has left with Hi Ho Silver Fucking Lining.....
    Well it happened. And yeah it’s lazy journalism and not entirely unexpected from the Beeb. But sadly Hi Ho is what Mr & Mrs Joe Bloggs will know him for, rather than his work with the Yardbirds, his own bands and all his solo work. We forget that, as guitarists ourselves. Even worse I suspect a lot of younger people will only be vaguely aware of him as “that bloke who played with Johnny Depp”. 
    A lot of younger people think HipHop is music and admire Lizzo as role model.
    Okay boomer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Who is "Lizzo"?
  • Philly_Q said:
    Oh Jeff, RIP...

"There was Jeff Beck, on Radio 1’s Roundtable, saying he “couldn’t believe it was a girl” playing guitar on their single Race With the Devil. "
    Was he talking about Girlschool?  (Kelly Johnson RIP)
    Yep, I guess we all say silly things from time to time...
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1391
    edited January 2023
    boogieman said:
    welshboyo said:b

Well it happened. And yeah it’s lazy journalism and not entirely unexpected from the Beeb. But sadly Hi Ho is what Mr & Mrs Joe Bloggs will know him for, rather than his work with the Yardbirds, his own bands and all his solo work. We forget that, as guitarists ourselves. Even worse I suspect a lot of younger people will only be vaguely aware of him as “that bloke who played with Johnny Depp”. 
    A lot of younger people think HipHop is music and admire Lizzo as role model.
    Hip Hop is music. I have no idea who Lizzo is, and couldn't be arsed searching online, but a lot of people admire footballers as role models as well.

I walked past Jeff Beck in Dublin once, and thought it was the guy from Spinal Tap!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thing said:
    bertie said:

No, it lives in the back of your throat. Warning signs are a rash that doesn’t go away when you press down on it with a glass tumbler, stiff neck, aversion to lights. It really is an awful killer. My mates daughter woke up one morning saying she didn’t feel well and by lunchtime she was dead, a week before her 16th birthday. It really is that quick. It generally turns into septicaemia very quickly and if you get that it’s usually curtains. 
    there's two types  viral and bacterial,  the former tends not to be fatal
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    BillDL said:
    Who is "Lizzo"?
    Song starts @ 1:45

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    Redlester said:
    Kebabkid said:
    The great and sadly, late Mike Caswell showcasing Jeff Beck's style

It is alright showing how to play Two Rivers but those notes are not on my guitar - Not sure if the guitar is faulty or me (I suspect the latter) 
    @guitars4you @Kebabkid ;

Oh, the notes are in there alright! We all know the old line that goes something like this: "to get that tone/ play that song, you have to BE Jeff Beck (or whoever it is). 

And I only pick this example because, while Jeff was a one off, I think it's his musical spirit that I dearly hope will live on, and hopefully spark a few imaginations in young people who may get into him via this news. 

I love Jeff, have tried to play like him, and thanks to things like the Mike Casswell DVD have had fun trying to sound like Jeff and 'find those notes'! Tapping into that 'let's have a go' spirit is what I got from him most. 

But the funny thing is, although I don't play half as much guitar these days as I did, I still gravitate to Jeff's music and his spirit above all- a spirit of daring and of seizing the moment- just enjoying life and really expressing yourself in the most positive way that is true to you- and not being afraid to mix things up in search of answers. 

What's great about him is that a fairly long hiatus from the late 80s, he came right back in '99 with Who Else? and never really stopped. He really seemed to enjoy playing because he enjoyed life and living. And just look at the list of people he played with, guested with and did one-off things with. Truly a man who loved and respected others, and got it all back in return.

I will be blasting Who Else? later today, and although it probably won't inspire me to pick up the guitar right now, I'll latch onto that spirit of daring, enjoyment, and sheer joy. 

RIP Jeff. 

Funnily enough, I've used Caswell and this track to help illustrate by Beck was an unrivalled genius to some friends today ( I too have the DVD too, Casswell does a fantastic job at dissecting what made Jeff, Jeff). Whilst you could pick out many examples, that note a 2 mins in, that harmonic that goes from B to E, to grasp at what is happening on a technical level to achieve that, yet he's not trying to catch your ear with the main motif, or be flash for the sake of being flash, he's doing it because it is musical and progresses the song. Two Rivers for me, is the equal of Where Were You. The man was without peer. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    Gutted, what a legend, RIP Jeff