Jeff Beck

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11695
    I've mentioned this before but we were driving home from London on Remembrance Sunday last year.  After the 2 minute silence, Planet Rock (with no introduction) played Beck's version of Elegy For Dunkirk.  Not a word was spoken - we both listened in total silence, spellbound.  I felt I had held my breath for the duration of the track.  When it finished we both agreed it was just incredible and extremely moving.  I was going to play it this morning but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet :-(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I was fortunate enough to go with a friend of mine for his 40th to the Saturday early ( Yea, right!) Show at Ronnie Scott's during that week run in the noughties. We made the pilgrimage from West Ireland and had a blast of a weekend in London. I'd been a fan since Guitar shop as it was when I started really playing/paying attention to the guitar. The man was simply unforgettable. Wired different for sure from most of us and thank God for that. Thankfully Jeff recorded that wonderful concert. RIP to the master.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This will always be my strongest personal memory (very tangentially) associated with Beck:

I’d just bought  my second ever car. The first was a Morris Minor that literally cost a tenner and was never getting another MOT.  The second was only marginally better, a rare Renault 8 that cost all of £35, but at the time I was chuffed to bits with it. My uncle, who was a successful businessman but had started in the car trade had helped negotiate the deal and organised getting the thing roadworthy through some connections.

It was summer, I loved my subject at Uni, I'd just passed my exams, and the sun was shining. Despite being an old banger the car smelled weirdly new, a strong but surprisingly pleasant plasticky smell.  I was driving to a girlfriend's place to make final arrangements to leave on a driving holiday the following day. And the car had a cassette player, unlike the Morris, and the album I was listening to was Blow By Blow.  I'd never claim to be Beck's biggest fan, but at that point in time I was going through a bit of a fusion phase and I was absolutely loving that album.

And then, out of nowhere, whack:  another car smacked into me at a junction. Fortunately nobody hurt.  But it was back to harsh reality getting contact details from the other driver, making arrangements for the car to be picked up and taken for repair.  And of course my girlfriend to be phoned and told the driving holiday wasn't going to happen.

The weird thing is that when I think back on this what I remember best isn’t the shock of the accident, or how big a pain it was to get everything sorted out afterwards: it’s how totally blissed out I was in the moments before it happened. My new car, the sunshine, contemplating the upcoming holiday with a sexy girl, listening to Blow by Blow and imagining all the great music we'd be listening to driving round the country. What I'd expect to be a very negative memory actually feels like a very positive one.  It’s always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Jeff Beck.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not much more to add to the above but he never ever seemed to compromise. How many players can say that?

RIP Jeff 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    edited January 2023
    Saw Beck last June on his final UK tour. I was a bit young during his most influential moments to fully appreciate his contribution within “historical” context. It was a privilege to see him play Cause we’ve ended as lovers, Nadia, and Brush with the Blues. 7 duets with Depp…I’ll perhaps leave it at that.

I really liked the Beato/ Pierce webcast, particularly Pierces contribution and insights.

RIP maestro.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    Meningitis is an absolute bastard. Takes no prisoners.

Was never really a fan, mainly due to learning to play later in life I suppose. But I've read through the thread and listened to some of his stuff on YouTube this afternoon and can see why he was so admired. 

RIP Jeff

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Sorry to wake up to the news first thing this morning.
    Another guitar legend gone forever.
    Sleep well Mr Beck.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    Philly_Q said:
    Oh Jeff, RIP...

"There was Jeff Beck, on Radio 1’s Roundtable, saying he “couldn’t believe it was a girl” playing guitar on their single Race With the Devil. "
    Was he talking about Girlschool?  (Kelly Johnson RIP)
    Yep, I guess we all say silly things from time to time...
    Well he made up for it by working with loads of women later in his career, from Jennifer Batten onwards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Woke up to hear the sad news and I posted this as it sort of summed Jeff up. I was lucky enough to see him a couple of times in concert and jamming at a local pub back in the day. 

If you went to any beck concert you would always see other famous guitarist in the audience. The number of pro players and stars who were in awe of his talent.

He was the Stars Star and the players player.

Rip Becky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14259
    tFB Trader
    Was surprised to hear so much talk about Jeff on the radio - R5 Drive Time show from 5-7 had Jeff as a theme throughout the show with listeners phone or texting stories about him - Playing various clips of his playing plus an interview with Nile Rodgers - I forgot Nile produced the Flash album 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Forever - The man in the Pork Pie Hat.... Time to hang it on the hook Jeff.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sad news. He was one of the few guitarists who combined amazing technical skill with incredible musical feeling. I don't think any of his sixties contemporaries kept exploring and developing in the same way, except maybe John McLaughlin.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    The biggest regret IMO is that Jeff and Rod Stewart never got together to do a blues/soul cover album - They talked about it but it never happened - With what Rod has done with the American Song book albums and both did with People Get Ready then it would have been an album I'd have looked forward to hearing - It doesn't sum up or show Jeff Beck at his best, as we know via the likes of Guitar Workshop etc , but 12 tracks based on People Get Ready would be well worth listening to
    100% Maybe People Get Ready doesn't show off the pyrotechnics that he was capable of, but I disagree that it wasn't beck at his best. 

It's just tasteful guitar playing like not many people are capable of. Rod's voice was perfect for it too. As you say I that would have been a wonderful album. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6114
    Tommy Emmual's tribute to Jeff, an acoustic version of Cos We've Ended As Lovers is sublime.
    This put a tear in my eye...

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 512
    I was properly introduced to Jeff's playing when I heard Blue Wind on the John Peel show. Prior to that I'd only heard Hi Ho Silver Lining which clearly came from an android masquerading as Beck.

Whilst I don't like everything Jeff recorded, he is still my favourite guitar player. I feel lucky to have lived in his lifetime.

And he looked totally cool dressed in all-white, something only he and Tony Curtis could pull off....ooh and Randall and Hopkirk.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    I think the JB thread could be tFB world record
    tae be or not tae be
  • JB Live At The Hollywood Bowl is on Sky Arts 9pm tonight (Saturday 28th Jan)  
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    I've just seen this thread on the front page and my first thought was "Oh no, not him again!" RIP Jeff.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 771
    Jeff Beck Live at the Hollywood Bowl is on Sky Arts tonight at 21:00. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2023
    I've just seen an extraordinary collection of Rock Royalty paying tribute to Jeff Beck at his funeral today.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Jeff Beck's family home as a youngster was a couple of doors down from me and it would seem either his wishes or his family's wishes were for him to come home for the service.

The list of people that I saw there were as follows:-

Zucherro

John McLaughlin

Brian May and Anita Dobson

Roger Taylor (Queen)

Dave Gilmour  & Polly Samson

Jimmy Page

Eric Clapton (turned up in a Hot Rod and a big nod to JB and his cars)

Tom Jones

Kirk Hammett - that was a big surprise

Johnny Depp

Imelda May

Beth Hart

Joss Stone

Bob Geldof

Rod Stewart and Penny Lancaster

Robert Plant

Vic Reeves

Ronnie Wood

No Macca or Jagger but a massive surprise was............Kate Bush!!!!

I saw a copy of the Order of Service and the entry music was 'Where were you'

Readings came from Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Bob Geldof and Johnny Depp and performances from Imelda May with her band, including husband guitarist, Darrel Higham.

Beth Hart, Joss Stone

Exit Music - I'm goin' down

Apparently, it was recorded for Billy Gibbons and Stevie Wonder as they couldn't be there and they were mentioned and I think I saw John Mayall (can't confirm).

Thank you once again, Mr Beck and R.I.P

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom