WezV - building an electric with the laser cutter.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    edited June 2023
    Probably a few ideas you could borrow and adapt from here: https://www.teyeguitars.com
    Edit: in terms of colour choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16742
    edited June 2023
    PeteC said:
    Look forward to seeing those.    Ive been wanting to add a thin abalone pinstripe to the centreline on a couple of my builds but havent tried yet - a laser cutter would be perfect for cutting those - but rather overkill !!   What inlays will you be using? 
    Nothing on this, just the deep engraving.

I'm finding i can use the laser for a lot more than expected, along with even more non guitar stuff.
    Keeping with the Zemaitis feel what about steel grey wood on the insert possibly classic cherry on the outer?
    There are some tutorials getting a nice grey blue steel look on flamed woods. 
    Sure you will come up with a winner.

I'm thinking brighter colours on this.... but an actual metal top will be done at some point
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Probably a few ideas you could borrow and adapt from here: https://www.teyeguitars.com
    I do love a Teye.  I was thinking it might be nice to take colour inspiration from some of the turquoise inlaid versions he does... maybe go for a solid sonic blue/surf green type colour for all the brown wood, and something darker in the same palette on the maple
    Jalapeno said:
    Awesome work, you are the new Tony Zemaitis !
    My guitars are just as flawed ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    I do love a Teye.  I was thinking it might be nice to take colour inspiration from some of the turquoise inlaid versions he does... maybe go for a solid sonic blue/surf green type colour for all the brown wood, and something darker in the same palette on the maple
    I quite like the contrast he gets between those brighter colours and then the shipwreck type finishes on the wood. Creates an interesting juxtaposition between the different colours and finishes. It’s definitely thinking outside the usual guitar box. 
    Yeah, I'm trying to do my own thing with this one, but there will definitely be something more in the Z or Teye style at some point.
    Whichever route you go I am sure it’ll turn out awesome! Always enjoy your build threads dude. 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    Looking great Wes!
  • bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 259
    So pleased I decided to stop by the making and modding page today.
    @WezV your threads are delight, not just for the (obvious!) fabulous guitars you create, but for how well you articulate the process of doing so and <swallows hard> the utterly filthy GAS inducing array of pics you supply too.
    Please keep making guitars.
    Because wow...
    It's an absolute joy to accompany you on these projects.
    :)
    Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
    Thanks.   I will be back on this with updates soon.   I've had a busy couple of weeks away from guitar stuff.
    edited July 2023
    I carved the neck a few weeks ago, and fretted today after it had plenty of time to settle.

Can't believe how dark that rosewood went just from a coat of oil quickly rubbed on and buffed off.  (Edit... it was my acoustic that got the pale board, not this :D )

Nearly time to get it all glued together

Some may remember I went for the usual rule of 18 fret scale on this, starting with a 24.5" scale

This antiquated way of working out fret placement gives a little less room between frets near the nut, and a little more up the top end of the neck... adding a bit of compensation to each fret in a rather crude way

Note this is a 24 fret neck, with chunky frets and a shorter than standard scale.... spacing would normally feel tight up there.  Instead the spacing at the 24th fret is quite generous, more comparable to a standard 25 5" scale length than a normal 24.5"  would be if calculated with the rule of 17.817

In reality there is  only half a mm in it, but I've looked at this board a few times and had to double check the number of frets
    edited July 2023
    a couple of coats of sealer - still considering colour, but can't pretend I don't love the natural look

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3056
    Natural looks fabulous, it would almost be a crime to cover it up…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27646
    paulnb57 said:
    Natural looks fabulous, it would almost be a crime to cover it up…
    Not almost  ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But what about with the matching wood pickup covers... I think it might be a bit too blonde when all together 

Originally I was considering doing the dark wood in a sonic blue, with another shade of blue in the middle of the maple.

Now I'm considering leaving the dark wood natural, spraying a light grey burst in the middle section.  Leave the pickups natural

Alternatively I can spray the pickup covers darker for some contrast... might be interesting to colour match them to the dark wood, whilst being grain matched to the light wood.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27646
    WezV said:

Alternatively I can spray the pickup covers darker for some contrast... might be interesting to colour match them to the dark wood, whilst being grain matched to the light wood.

That's what I'd do - add the colour or stain to the pickup covers.  Not necessarily matched to the darker wood either - you could stain them purple or something equally unusual ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    edited July 2023
    What about natural for the dark wood and a honey bursy for the maple - i think that would complement the main body wood superbly   
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3056
    Stain the pickup covers would be my choice
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll