WezV - building an electric with the laser cutter.

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    It won't be stain... all the maple parts have some lacquer on them already.

One issue with leaving it natural is the colour difference between body and neck.  Nothing fatal, but I think i would want to warm up the neck a little 

Looks like I need to mix up some tobacco lacquer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7913
    Love this thread! very cool looking guitar.  
    Looking forward to seeing the final product.
    edited July 2023
    I sprayed the pickup covers a dark brown.  I did start colour matched to the body but didn't like it, so went darker.  Can't wait to peel the tape and see how it looks next to the rosewood as it should match up nicely with that

The maple truss rod cover will be the same brown as it will be surrounded by plain maple.  

The back plates will be left natural.

I'm still not sure about the colour difference between body and neck.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    I think that dark colour for the pickups looks great.  Good choice! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I think it makes the knob choice easy too.   I will either get some rosewood ones or spray some maple the same shade
    If it's a good match for the rosewood then that would be a nice easy win, but if you can match the knobs exactly to the pickup covers I think it would look great. 
    I need a second opinion here

The headstock is looking pretty good on its own

But as you may remember on page 3, I changed the top design for a thinner border.   I left headstock as is, as the plan was to do a burst inside the line that would hide the different line weights.

does it look daft when all left natural?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    edited July 2023
    I think its stunning as it is Wez
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SporkySporky Frets: 28571
    It looks like it matches the body plate, which is fine. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27648
    WezV said:
    I need a second opinion here

The headstock is looking pretty good on its own

does it look daft when all left natural?

No.

I'd say "classy" rather than daft.  The plain finish emphasises the border, logo and TRC, which are the design-additive components.  Adding burst would be another, competing, design element which would/could detract from the others.

Less is more.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    It's the match with the rest of the body I was unsure of, and a burst could disguise the discrepancy

If I was starting again I think I would have matched it to the body a lot more - kept it mostly maple, but cut a border of the Bosse to go to the outer edge of the line, or even fully inlaid it in the mahogany neck blank.  I  thought having the mahogany underneath would be enough to give a similar look to the body, but it isn't quite there for me.  Nothing I mind too much, certainly not enough to re-do it,  it just catches my eye as something I could have done better
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    The headstock border is really heavy compared to the body's, is it heavier than the 'radiogram' motif behind the bridge or is that just an optical illusion?

Another great build @WezV ;
    same thickness as the motif, which originally matched a double border on the body - but that wasn't engraved as cleanly

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    Must be the angle with the headstock in the foreground, if it matches the motif there's consistency there.

Will the top and head plate darken with age?
    It will yellow a bit over time
    I think the thicker border on the headstock looks good. Nice truss rod cover too. 
    Yes, I'm particularly happy with that detail... especially since it sits so nicely in its recess.   The laser is allowing a level of accuracy I haven't achieved before.  

Also trying a new lacquer (new to me)on this as I am not going to relic it and heard this can work quicker than the other "nitro"  types I have sprayed.

I've gone for Morrels 280 pre-cat lacquer, 90% gloss.   It's got more solids than the stuff I am used to and after 2 coats of sealer and 3 coats of lacquer I could have buffed and called it done.  you can see that on the truss rod cover and pics from yesterday before I levelled it off.

It self levels nicely, dries quick, you can recoat safely with 30 mins.  It sanded well without clogging when I levelled it off today, less than 24 hours.  Will do 3 more coats, level off once more and spray a final light coat.   

• blobbblobb Frets: 2982
    The thick border of the headstock balances with the thick lines of the motif between pickups and behind bridge. The thin line body border is a lighter detail associated with the body and works to bring the thicker lines to prominence. Overall, it works well with the dark/light contrast of the natural tones and the rounded body edge. What's behind the headstock? It should be similar tone to the body edge. The only thing for me that doesn't balance is that it isn't a double cut! But each to their own... 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    It's a reclaimed mahogany neck... not sure of the exact species. It's a bit pinker than the warm orange tones of the bosse cedar body.  I did consider tinting it to match better, but think leaving it as is will be safer
    These are the covers I sprayed on Sunday - leveled and first buff today.    I will see how the lacquer acts over the next few weeks.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom