WezV - building an electric with the laser cutter.

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Being inspired by, or borrowing, design ideas is the way an industry grows. It’s been happening for millennia. It’s the basis of artistry. Trying to establish ownership of an idea, and then demanding royalties, is a modern trait. Personally I’m pleased when people draw inspiration from the forum.

Mind you, if anyone started selling triangular section guitar bodies, thin at the top and wider at the bottom, the I’ll be consulting my lawyers.  :)
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16680
    Roland said:

Mind you, if anyone started selling triangular section guitar bodies, thin at the top and wider at the bottom, the I’ll be consulting my lawyers.  :)
    Ah,   The Manzer Wedge?
  • SimoSimo Frets: 44
    Looks great =) I'm seriously impressed with what that laser can do for the modest price tag.
    I won't pretend it does it fast, although Sculpfun did put out a vid the other day showing how to increase max speed from 6000 to 25000 mm/min.

I need to try that soon and see if it loses accuracy
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27524
    I've just had a quick demo of a Sculpfun S9.

Smaller model than the one you're using here, but the fineness of cut was amazing.  That would allow for some incredibly detailed inlay work, and it costs very-not-a-lot.

Most tempting.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited August 2023
    The S9 10w is the same laser module as the s30 pro so should cut the same, but you get air assist, limit switches and a stronger rail included in the s30

The s30 ultra series adds more power and a bigger work area, but more reports of burning out and loss of engraving precision on the more poweful models... it cuts better, but at a loss of definition.  The 33w may be pushing what a diode is practical for

A camera turned up for mine today, which should make precision alignment a doddle.

I think I'd still use the CNC for the heavy cutting work, but a laser cutter would be better for the finer, more detailed work, ie the shallower and smaller cuts. 

Not that I need one, but starting to think about maybe doing some hobby type work (outside the guitar world) for pocket money once I eventually retire from the day job.
    Can you add a laser head to you CNC?
    WezV said:
    Hmmmmmmm ... no idea!

Probably, I guess it should just be unbolting the router (and water cooling) and replacing it with a laser.

But then it might be safer not doing that each time I want to use one or the other, and also safer having the laser cutter somewhere other than my messy workshop.  I could easily set one up in a cleaner environment.
  • WezV said:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 4
    This one is now done and all settled in.   I settled on plain rosewood knobs, and changed the tuners for the HAP- M version

The short scale combined with low headstock and neck angles makes it very easy on the fingers, and my first set of P90's are pretty nice too..  Weighs 8lb 3oz, which isn't bad considering where this body blank started 

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Very stylish, especially against the purple. I would be afraid to play I something that pretty for fear of scratching it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3211
    That’s wicked. Perfect balance of elegance and simplicity of design.