The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Hamster driving into the number 3 sign. What a twat.
    He stopped on track to stare at the sea .. tyres and brakes cold.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I thought he was supposed to be an ambassador for the sport, not a kid chucking his toys out.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    And as for Verstappen's crash, I had a feeling it was all going to end in tears when he emerged on fresh tyres, I stated the same to the rest of us that we're watching, and bingo! As predictions go, it wasn't exactly a tough one, though.

• musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    I don't think he is a twat, I would have done worse than that.
    He has fire and passion , yes he dresses like a rapper , but underneath it all , all he wants to do is win.

he is the ultimate racer.
    Arrogant , petulant , yes.
    All the great were the same. I think he showed great restraint. Mercedes robbed him of 17 points ( I think), and the win he wanted most.
    If I had been him I would have had an accident on the warming down lap and let Mercedes have to repair the damage....
    Mercedes pit wall were the twats.
    I was physically angry when I saw he was brought in, shouting at the telly.
    Though it is a terrible circuit. Takes great skill to drive, but almost no overtaking chances. Should be left as an exhibition circuit and taken out of the championship IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    He has fire and passion , yes he dresses like a rapper , but underneath it all , all he wants to do is win.

All the great were the same. I think he showed great restraint. Mercedes robbed him of 17 points ( I think), and the win he wanted most.
    If I had been him I would have had an accident on the warming down lap and let Mercedes have to repair the damage....
    Though it is a terrible circuit. Takes great skill to drive, but almost no overtaking chances. Should be left as an exhibition circuit and taken out of the championship IMO.
    Have to agree.  I find Monaco one of the most uninteresting races of the season to watch.  Its all down to who get pole and get of the lien well.  Both Nico and Finger boi knew that Hamilton should have won that race.  Someone cocked up massively at Mercedes and I think Hamilton has every right o be very very pissed off.

Have to agree.  I find Monaco one of the most uninteresting races of the season to watch.  Its all down to who get pole and get of the lien well.  Both Nico and Finger boi knew that Hamilton should have won that race.  Someone cocked up massively at Mercedes and I think Hamilton has every right o be very very pissed off.
    Spot on ... Bernie launched a scathing attack on Finger Boy and Britney .. he's a fan of Hamilton as he's popular with the fans and passionate about the sport. Britney's just a playboy. Hamilton will be back .. however I wish Momaco got binned. When a racer like Hamilton in a fast car can't even attempt an overtake on Vettel then you know there's something wrong with F1.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1315
    FIA/FOM solution: Make the cars up to 6 seconds a lap faster.

Other, slower, classes make for some really quite exciting racing at Monaco. It's not the circuit, it's the cars. Hamilton was probably capable of lapping 3 seconds quicker than Vettel.

Faster cars will only make the problem worse, but hey "premier class" etc..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    sinbaadi said:

Other, slower, classes make for some really quite exciting racing at Monaco. It's not the circuit, it's the cars. Hamilton was probably capable of lapping 3 seconds quicker than Vettel.

Wis here. The thing that allows cars to overtake, and drivers to make mistakes, is big braking zones, and a relative lack of grip, rather than horsepower or car weight. Less grip means higher likelihood of drivers running out of grip, and the guy behind taking advantage. Taking away a big chunk of aero via enforcing no more thn 2 horizontal planes on each wing would fixed F1 almost overnight - smaller teams wouldn't have to bankrupt themselves trying to keep up with the big boy's aero packages, cars could folow much more closely, and braking zones would be huge, as they'd have less grip when braking, and would need to reach slower speeds to get round the corners. 

But that's the obvious answer, so obviously the FIA won't consider it. Give them all the horsepower in the world if you want, but it's a reduction in grip that's needed.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235

Thank you Sticky

Someone finally agrees with me.

Less sophisticated aero is the way to go!!

Common sense that! No hope from the FIA then

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The worst thing about Hamilton is he thinks hi ability is a god given gift, but he's so materialistic.
    My V key is broken
    holnrew said:
    The worst thing about Hamilton is he thinks hi ability is a god given gift, but he's so materialistic.
    I've never heard Hamilton say anything like that - he usually says he's the kid from the council estate who had to work hard to get where he is today and had bugger all as a kid (a dig at Britney and Finger Boy). If you had wealth you'd be materialistic - I think it's more bad taste. He dresses like one of Kane West's mates, but that makes the guy popular which is why Mercedes have offered him such a deal. Line up pictures of Finger Boy, Britney, Fandango and the Hamster and I bet most people would pick Lewis and have no idea who the others are.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    Hamilton has often acknowledged the sacrifices made by his parents and farther in particular and despite there falling out for a time has made sure they were all looked after.  He supports a load of charities and "good causes" some publicly and many less so.  

He has money and spends it on crap he likes.  

If I had money Id spend it on crap i like.  Its just different taste.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7570
    who the fuck is Britney? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    TimmyO said:
    who the fuck is Britney? 

Rosberg.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7570
    I don't get it...
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I don't get it...

Mark Webber's Williams years provided a favourite anecdote about him, which says a lot about his determination, sense of justice and humour.

Like all top Aussie sportsmen, Webber is not immune to a few psychological games to boost his chances. And it was he who invented the nickname "Britney" - as in popstar Spears - for his young, blond and good-looking 2006 Williams team-mate Nico Rosberg, then in his first season.

Their final race together was in Brazil, where Rosberg rammed into the back of his team-mate's car on the opening lap, breaking the front nose of the German's car and Webber's rear wing.

Because it's relatively quick to replace a front wing replacement but a damaged rear means a likely retirement, the two were given a "priority Rosberg" message over the radio as they headed back to the pits.

Webber, cross at his team-mate's mistake, was determined to get back first and they began to race - really race - despite Rosberg suffering from lack of front grip and Webber struggling with the rear.

As they came on to the pit straight, Rosberg was just ahead, only to lose control through the flat-out kink before the pits and crash heavily into a concrete barrier.

Webber was right behind him and, as he passed the incident, the team came back on the radio with another "priority Rosberg" message. Webber paused for effect before replying in a languid Aussie drawl: "Britney's in the wall."

• ROOGROOG Frets: 559
    edited May 2015
    TimmyO said:
    I don't get it...
    Mark Webber quote, Google: "don't think so mate, Britney's in the wall"

ROOG said:
    TimmyO said:
    I don't get it...
    Mark Webber quote, Google: "don't think so mate, Britney's in the wall"
    Or read the post before yours .. :-)

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1315
    sinbaadi said:

Wis here. The thing that allows cars to overtake, and drivers to make mistakes, is big braking zones, and a relative lack of grip, rather than horsepower or car weight. Less grip means higher likelihood of drivers running out of grip, and the guy behind taking advantage. Taking away a big chunk of aero via enforcing no more thn 2 horizontal planes on each wing would fixed F1 almost overnight - smaller teams wouldn't have to bankrupt themselves trying to keep up with the big boy's aero packages, cars could folow much more closely, and braking zones would be huge, as they'd have less grip when braking, and would need to reach slower speeds to get round the corners. 

But that's the obvious answer, so obviously the FIA won't consider it. Give them all the horsepower in the world if you want, but it's a reduction in grip that's needed.

Actually the wings themselves are probably where the smaller teams don't have such difficulty.  It's the packaging and overall air-flow that the time and money makes work.  Slower teams can increase the wing angles, but the drag:downforce ratio is ultimately what counts.

"Dirty Air" is an issue that will never go away entirely.  Motorsport is too obsessed with lap-times, but there's a hierarchy to be maintained.  I'd love to see a wingless large capacity V8 formula with massive tyres on the back and (relatively) little ones on the front, and it would be a bit of a pig to drive, but the best drivers would be sideways all the time in lovely controlled mini-drifts.  But the lap-times would be relatively slow, so the industry would shun it, and call it a "feeder" class or some nonsense, so it would never be treated with equal publicity.

Then again, I'd rather watch the F1 grid in identical historic 911s on cross-ply tyres than in their F1 cars, so perhaps I shouldn't really expect or hope for F1 to ever be what I want.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    Amen to all of that :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires