The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
    chillidoggy;640843" said:
    £27 million a year, apparently.
    Living in Monaco, I guess he won't be paying tax on that. Bastard!

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    HAL9000 said:
    chillidoggy;640843" said:
    £27 million a year, apparently.

He works in the UK and gets paid in the UK so he pays tax in the UK for the time he's here.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    Fretwired;650541" said:
    HAL9000 said:

chillidoggy;640843" said:£27 million a year, apparently.

He works in the UK and gets paid in the UK so he pays tax in the UK for the time he's here.
    Surely it depends who his contract is with, geographically?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired;650541" said:
    HAL9000 said:

chillidoggy;640843" said:£27 million a year, apparently.

Surely it depends who his contract is with, geographically?
    Hamilton was accused of paying no tax so he issued astatement. He pays tax in the UK as he races for a team with a registered UK HQ. He also does promo work. However as he's not here all year round and works abroad for some of the time racing and lives in Monaco he pays less tax than someone who earned the same amount but lived and worked in the UK if that makes sense.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/sports-personality-of-the-year-contender-lewis-hamilton-i-pay-a-lot-of-tax-in-the-uk-9923752.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Interesting thread on the Beeb with quite a bit about the proposed 2017 rule changes...

The (proposed) idea of bringing back refueling seems strange, particularly as it was allegedly got rid of for safety reasons. Does that mean the powers that be want to make the sport less safe?

Also wanting to increase the size of the wings appears at odds with what was being spouted a few years ago - that there should be more mechanical grip and less aerodynamic grip.  

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    The argument with wing width is of the front wing is wider than the rear wing and wake of the car in front you can follow closer. Although I don't quite buy it.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4659
    Please don't bring back refuelling. Racing was soooo boring with it. If you had a powerful thirsty engine, you just blasted it to get 20-30s ahead on minimal fuel filled up and cruised ahead of the pack. Without it at least those with less thirsty engines have a chance to catch up if the pack leaders have to conserve fuel.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1315
    Nah that's not the worst part about refueling. It's the way fast cars with even just fractionally higher fuel loads wouldn't even attempt to get close enough to pass the car in front. They just wait till the car in front pits, do a fast lap with low fuel whilst the refuelled car is heavy and slow when it comes out of the pits. Job done. I do love it when elite motorsport revolves around the parts where the cars are at a standstill.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    edited June 2015
    Hulk Smash!!!

His stock has definitely just gone up, but is he ever going to get into a proper F1 team?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    That was a great Le Mans race meeting. Went to bed at 2am, up just before 6am. One of the few times I've actually thought HD television was worth it with some stunning shots. 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm surprised no-one has not organised a Fretboard Le Mans outing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    Apparently there was a Fretboard meet in 1963 at a grassy knoll. How many turned up to that? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I heard Sambostar was the only one to turn up. Just as well, apparently there was a bit of a kerfuffle at the time.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    I'm surprised no-one has not organised a Fretboard Le Mans outing.
    I could do that if anyone was actually interested.  Just back from number 35 so I think I know the ropes now......................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.

I'm definitely interested in the Le Mans Classic next year, not sure about the 'normal' 24 hours, though. I've been a couple of times before, many years ago, and found it more interesting looking at cars around the circuit than on the track. Some friends of mine go every year, but it appears to be just one big piss-up. I went one year, maybe in 1996, and there were a bunch of blokes camping near me that actually never got to the track at all, they were too pissed the whole time.

http://www.lemansclassic.com/en

Also, I'm not camping for all the tea in China, it'd have to be a hotel or something more ''solid' than canvas.

Fortunate enough to be off to the Austrian GP this coming weekend. Unfortunately though, everything seems to indicate that I will get WET!!

I'm definitely interested in the Le Mans Classic next year, not sure about the 'normal' 24 hours, though. I've been a couple of times before, many years ago, and found it more interesting looking at cars around the circuit than on the track. Some friends of mine go every year, but it appears to be just one big piss-up. I went one year, maybe in 1996, and there were a bunch of blokes camping near me that actually never got to the track at all, they were too pissed the whole time.

http://www.lemansclassic.com/en

Also, I'm not camping for all the tea in China, it'd have to be a hotel or something more ''solid' than canvas.

Hotel is easy - not cheap though.  You could try here

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=domaine-de-la-courbe-Ft0MCs7v9PyPjazOLvXbMQS11126256900:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t1:neg;sid=fcbe905171b1174503d5c92c226a6407;dcid=4;dest_id=-1441748;dest_type=city;highlighted_hotels=296077;hlrd=1;redirected=1;source=hotel&gclid=COGmkYHylsYCFUfMtAodYmYADA&

We have avoided the pissed masses without any problem and usually have a very civilised week, although next year it will only be a long weekend.  

Excellent news for the track I find the most boring. At least the race could be a good one, even if you get wet!

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I was tempted by the London e-prix, I might still go. If I'm doing electrical engineering next year I can kind of justify it.
    My V key is broken
    holnrew said:
    I was tempted by the London e-prix, I might still go. If I'm doing electrical engineering next year I can kind of justify it.
    HOW?